Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The point is...most americans don't want to do these menial labor jobs.
Because it's a lot work for little compensation, I don't blame them.

Quote:
And no, Joe pays minimum wage...nothing more.
You think Joe is going to cut his own grass if he can't find someone to do it for minimum?

Quote:
If americans want the job then they will do it but they don't want it so Joe goes somewhere else.
Only becsue Joe can go somewhere else, if you eliminate the illelgal immigrants Joe has no choice but to offer a US citizen more to get the job done.

Is it sinking in yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Very true although a well written resume can open some opportunities but more often than not its personal connections that translate into results. The NY Times had an article a few weeks ago about how employers are relying more on employee referrals. The employees they find as a result of referrals tend to stay longer and are better fits than someone who merely applied online. In fact I'm being told when you fill out an application online and they ask you where you heard about the job, if you note Internet Job Board the recruiters simply move your app to the side.

I will say though having an update LinkedIn account really is a must though for any upwardly mobile professional. I would highly recommend it.
Yea, i've heard positive things about Linkedin, but i've never had the need or occasion to use it myself.

Just about every decent job i've ever had was acquired through networking, including the one i have now. Resumes and cover letters have never done a damn thing for me, and i've spent a fortune on those things. The only job i've ever had that even bothered to look at my resume (i think) is when i worked for ITT-Exelis. And they didn't even want me to do the job i applied for....i ended up doing something that i had no experience at doing even though the job was great. Never will understand how that happened.

I must admit that i always have better success finding a good gig when i'm already working somewhere vs when i'm between jobs. I really don't know why that is, but lots of people say the same thing.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:07 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Companies hire people when it is in their financial best interest, i.e. profitable, to do so. They owe absolutely no obligation to hire people for any reason whatsoever, but are free to do so as they see fit.

To blame for not hiring people, is to presume they are under an obligation to do so, as well as to assume they would set their own best interest aside in doing so.

As I said, absolute Bilge.
Correct, and by the way, employees also only take jobs that are in their best interest. So why should employers not pursue their best interests?

That minimum wage employee you feel bad for freely chose to pursue and accept the job, knowing what the wage was. Free choice rocks.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
but did he have the choice to negotiate better pay - no, of course not!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
but did he have the choice to negotiate better pay - no, of course not!
He did have the choice to decline the job and resume looking for an employer willing to pay him what he felt he was worth.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
he would soon realise that no-one would pay this though.

It's called a wage cartel - IOW: a monopoly, and not an equitable trade whatsoever.

do you still have a free choice when deciding to jump off a sinking ship or not?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Kind of bull --- you don't hear of illegals complaining about not finding jobs. They can show up from 3000 miles away and have fine jobs -- so fine they can send $800 a month back to their own countries. Would Obama be planning a very massive amnesty if he thought Americans wanted jobs?
Oh really? What jobs are those? The kind standing around all day in parking lots waiting for someone to drive by in a pickup looking for someone to dig a ditch?

Hey I get that we are importing labor to work cheaper than domestic labor. But based upon what I see around here, illegals are not living the high life, as you suggest. Think about ten to a room, standing around all day looking for a pick up job, no food or drink so they dont have to go to the bathroom....

Supply and demand, my friend. There any Americans who do will do the same?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Because it's a lot work for little compensation, I don't blame them.

You think Joe is going to cut his own grass if he can't find someone to do it for minimum?

Only becsue Joe can go somewhere else, if you eliminate the illelgal immigrants Joe has no choice but to offer a US citizen more to get the job done.

Is it sinking in yet?
Or the US citizens would cost so much more to Joe that his lawn service was cost prohibitive that he lost clients to other lawn sevices whos citizen employees accepted less that joe could offer his employees and joe had to close up shop. Joe most likely is already close to the margin even with illegal workers.

1] deportaion of 11 million aliens is not going to happen
2] legalization of 11 million will make a more level palying field for employeers...
3] make e-verify part of any CIR legislation.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Or the US citizens would cost so much more to Joe that his lawn service was cost prohibitive that he lost clients to other lawn sevices whos citizen employees accepted less that joe could offer his employees and joe had to close up shop. Joe most likely is already close to the margin even with illegal workers.

1] deportaion of 11 million aliens is not going to happen
2] legalization of 11 million will make a more level palying field for employeers...
3] make e-verify part of any CIR legislation.

Value is not measured in price alone.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Is this not at the core of the conservative mindset? I've got mine so screw everyone else. Nice christian values. lol

Not at all. Conservatives give billions to charity. Liberals just like to steal from hard working tax payers and give to the lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies