Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,403,150 times

Advertisements

Tired of people always blaming the government for why nobody can find jobs. Employers are the problem. HELLO. They have the jobs. Plenty of jobs are out there, but employers have decided to make it impossible for people to get hired. It doesn't matter what job it is. Even fast food. If you are unemployed you know how it goes.

Is Applying for Jobs Online an Effective Way to Find Work? - YouTube

Online job applications

Personality tests from overseas companies like Unicru and Kronos that put your application into a black hole forever Demanding resumes and cover letters for minimum wage jobs. As if 18 year old johnny is really going to have an "impressive resume".

Requiring years of experience to do a job anybody can do. My favorite was a $9/hour janitorial position that required 1-2 years of "cleaning knowledge". Is there a degree for cleaning knowledge?

Downright apathy. A job applicant can waste their time with all this, and then try to do things the old fashioned way but you will be stonewalled. You can try walking in the place and trying to fill out an application and be told "apply online". Nothing else. Just "you have to apply online. GOODBYE."

Employers saying "don't call us after you fill out the application, GRRRRRR!!!!!" why not? I want the job!
Job fairs? for what? So you can say, thank you for being interested in this wonderful position, please apply onli....NO! I WANT THE JOB! HIRE ME. NOW.

They give the jobs to family or friends. So much for being an "equal opportunity employer".
They can discriminate against disabled people no problem, all they have to do is say "we are choosing to hire X instead". ADA means nothing! No way to prove it. But disabled people are lazy right?

"Unemployed need not apply". Don't even get me started on this one!!!

It's very easy to figure out what these monsters are doing. They engage in all this nonsense and then tell the press that everybody is lazy and doesn't want to work. Which is a total lie. There are millions of people who have plenty of skills and education but they can't get the wheels rolling because of all this nonsense. THIS. Nevermind what the government and welfare recipients are doing. I've spoken with people all over the country who are disgusted with this. But our government is too busy printing money and trying to "encourage" employers to hire people. Give me a break!

Stop the nonsense and put people to work. 30,000 jobs unfilled? Go fill them darn it. STOP weeding people out. STOP the personality tests. TRAIN the people who need help doing the job. DO THINGS IN PERSON. Forget the computer. STOP PLAYING GAMES WITH PEOPLE WHO NEED JOBS. Unemployed people have bad attitudes? Employers are the ones with bad attitudes. They post jobs for the fun of it, get applicants and don't do a thing. Endless time wasting and lack of professionalism. YES. If I travel far for an interview and you can't even offer a rejection notice or job offer, you LACK professionalism.

"unemployed people aren't owed a job"

You aren't owed a profit either! You EARN a profit. Just like you EARN what you have from working a job and being a quality employee. You aren't owed a successful business. You EARN that from the actions you take.

High-turnover = Employer is sloppy, unethical, unmoral, etc. etc. Nothing more nothing less.

There was a time in this country where if you wanted a job, ANY job, you would have one. Employers actually looked forward to hiring people. The GOLDEN days. "when can you start?" Today! Great.

Now the only thing we have are HR departments, company owners, and store managers who do nothing but avoid hiring people, waste our time, look for excuses and DON'T HIRE PEOPLE. Most of these people have no business being in the positions they are in. They are keeping unemployment rates high.

Next time you tell the press about how everyone is lazy because they aren't qualified for your 3 years experience $7/hour janitorial job cry me a river will ya?

Now, I will go back to page 75 of my TIMED Unicru personality assessment test for the $7/hour part time lot attendant position at Home depot.

Last edited by parried; 02-23-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,484,908 times
Kind of bull --- you don't hear of illegals complaining about not finding jobs. They can show up from 3000 miles away and have fine jobs -- so fine they can send $800 a month back to their own countries. Would Obama be planning a very massive amnesty if he thought Americans wanted jobs?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,811,192 times
Why do employers "weed out" and become extremely selective when selecting employees? Could it have anything to do with liability and people being sue happy?

It doesn't matter if you are a "good" candidate for the job, especially now when so many people are looking for a job. An employer that has any sense will try to get the BEST employee they can for the money and position. Employers can be extremely selective with so many people looking for work.

Consider a $9.00/hr advertised job gets 200 applicants. 190 of them will never be considered beyond the HR filter regardless of whether or not they are qualified because that costs the company money. It costs time to go beyond a quick glance at a resume, experience, were they terminated, can they make it to work because they live 50 miles away, and would they even try to come to work for a $9/hr job when they live 50 miles away, etc. It costs money to interview. All these considerations take time. The time of an employee filtering out these things costs money. Time and money that could be better utilized by the employer.

So if you really want to be considered for ANY position, you need to make enough of an impression in your initial contact, even if only online (you BETTER have a resume), in order to be in the top 5-10 applicants, otherwise you will never be considered. Little things like having a statement included in that application/resume/cover letter that tells them why you would be the BEST employee they could have, and how their TEAM could benefit from you becoming a part of it.

THAT is a fact of life. Whining about it won't change it. As a matter of fact, ATTITUDE matters more that many people consider, and that attitude is often displayed in that first initial contact. That online contact.

I'l go further to say that I believe you have a bad attitude in this process. Blaming, whining, pointing fingers, etc. will NOT get you hired to pick up dog poo.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,846,362 times
What a delusional rant.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,900,355 times
Another "brilliant" take from an obvious C-D economic guru.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 AM

6,105 posts, read 5,967,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Tired of people always blaming the government for why nobody can find jobs. Employers are the problem. HELLO. They have the jobs. Plenty of jobs are out there, but employers have decided to make it impossible for people to get hired. It doesn't matter what job it is. Even fast food. If you are unemployed you know how it goes.

Is Applying for Jobs Online an Effective Way to Find Work? - YouTube

Online job applications

Personality tests from overseas companies like Unicru and Kronos that put your application into a black hole forever Demanding resumes and cover letters for minimum wage jobs. As if 18 year old johnny is really going to have an "impressive resume".

Requiring years of experience to do a job anybody can do. My favorite was a $9/hour janitorial position that required 1-2 years of "cleaning knowledge". Is there a degree for cleaning knowledge?

Downright apathy. A job applicant can waste their time with all this, and then try to do things the old fashioned way but you will be stonewalled. You can try walking in the place and trying to fill out an application and be told "apply online". Nothing else. Just "you have to apply online. GOODBYE."

Employers saying "don't call us after you fill out the application, GRRRRRR!!!!!" why not? I want the job!
Job fairs? for what? So you can say, thank you for being interested in this wonderful position, please apply onli....NO! I WANT THE JOB! HIRE ME. NOW.

They give the jobs to family or friends. So much for being an "equal opportunity employer".
They can discriminate against disabled people no problem, all they have to do is say "we are choosing to hire X instead". ADA means nothing! No way to prove it. But disabled people are lazy right?

"Unemployed need not apply". Don't even get me started on this one!!!

It's very easy to figure out what these monsters are doing. They engage in all this nonsense and then tell the press that everybody is lazy and doesn't want to work. Which is a total lie. There are millions of people who have plenty of skills and education but they can't get the wheels rolling because of all this nonsense. THIS. Nevermind what the government and welfare recipients are doing. I've spoken with people all over the country who are disgusted with this. But our government is too busy printing money and trying to "encourage" employers to hire people. Give me a break!

Stop the nonsense and put people to work. 30,000 jobs unfilled? Go fill them darn it. STOP weeding people out. STOP the personality tests. TRAIN the people who need help doing the job. DO THINGS IN PERSON. Forget the computer. STOP PLAYING GAMES WITH PEOPLE WHO NEED JOBS. Unemployed people have bad attitudes? Employers are the ones with bad attitudes. They post jobs for the fun of it, get applicants and don't do a thing. Endless time wasting and lack of professionalism. YES. If I travel far for an interview and you can't even offer a rejection notice or job offer, you LACK professionalism.

"unemployed people aren't owed a job"

You aren't owed a profit either! You EARN a profit. Just like you EARN what you have from working a job and being a quality employee. You aren't owed a successful business. You EARN that from the actions you take.

High-turnover = Employer is sloppy, unethical, unmoral, etc. etc. Nothing more nothing less.

There was a time in this country where if you wanted a job, ANY job, you would have one. Employers actually looked forward to hiring people. The GOLDEN days. "when can you start?" Today! Great.

Now the only thing we have are HR departments, company owners, and store managers who do nothing but avoid hiring people, waste our time, look for excuses and DON'T HIRE PEOPLE. Most of these people have no business being in the positions they are in. They are keeping unemployment rates high.

Next time you tell the press about how everyone is lazy because they aren't qualified for your 3 years experience $7/hour janitorial job cry me a river will ya?

Now, I will go back to page 75 of my TIMED Unicru personality assessment test for the $7/hour part time lot attendant position at Home depot.

Certified BAD ATTITUDE!!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,034,122 times
I'll agree with the OP on a few things....

One, don't blame the government, which is only common sense.

And two, the whole resume/cover letter thing is laughable. They've made a cottage industry out of that stuff full of experts that supposedly know which magic words you need to use to draw attention. LOL...what a joke. I've always believed that most open positions are filled before they're vacant or if it's a new position, they already have someone in mind. The resume and interview process seems to be no more than going through the motions IMO.

When looking for a gig, my experience says that it pays to know someone on the inside.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,016,315 times
This is nonsense. Hiring is tied to growth. An employer should be hiring at a time of growth. Similarly an employer needs to hire to grow. There is absolutely no benefit to anyone for an employer to hold onto unfilled jobs.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,307,417 times
We have college grads that haven't been able to find work for years. Most chronically unemployed people are perfectly capable workers and are just not given a chance. These people have every right to have a bad attitude! All you people making fun of the op for his attitude should try being unemployed for over a year. I bet your attitude would be bad too.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:01 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,811,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
We have college grads that haven't been able to find work for years. Most chronically unemployed people are perfectly capable workers and are just not given a chance. These people have every right to have a bad attitude! All you people making fun of the op for his attitude should try being unemployed for over a year. I bet your attitude would be bad too.

Do you think the OP is the only person who has faced being off work for an extended period? Are some of those people who have been in the same position being hired? If they are, why are they being hired?

When it comes to employment, attitude is everything. With the right attitude, one is willing. With the right attitude, one is trainable. With the right attitude, one's potential is unlimited. < THAT is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies