Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,435,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Mosquitoes are like cockroaches. You can NEVER get rid of them no matter how hard you try.

I lived in Florida and mosquitoes are just part of life there.
Mosquitoes are worse than cockroaches. There are no cockroaches in Alaska, but we have more than our fair share of mosquitoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,615,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
What's It Like to Wake Up From a Tea Party Binge? Just Ask Florida! | Mother Jones

"They've rejected billions in federal funds in one of the states hardest hit by the recession. They've axed everything from health care and public transportation initiatives to mosquito control and water supply programs."

This is what happens when right wing extremists take over. Especially sad is the loss of the Tampa-Orlando rail link. What utter insanity. It would have been a boon for the whole corridor including Tampa, Orlando, Lakeland and small towns in between.

"the Tampa Tribune discovered that Scott's own transportation department had projected that the train would turn a profit.) Scott sent $2.4 billion back to Washington, a decision that one of Florida's Republican members of Congress, John Mica, said "defies logic."

The reason the Tampa/Orlando rail wouldn't work is that neither city has any type of decent mass transit in place. There is no way of getting around either Tampa or Orlando once you arrived at either location.

You need a car, both "cities" are uncontrolled sprawl that were poorly designed.

A rail would be great, but FL cities are not like cities in the north or out west. This rail wasn't even going to go to the airports.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,331,221 times
Most of us here in Tampa were disgusted by Scott rejecting the HSR funds. My mother, a teacher, has not had a raise in years. Construction projects throughout Tampa's interstate roads were frozen with his election and are just now coming back to life. Even huge pot holes on busy roads were neglected for months! This Governor is awful! And he almost certainly will not get a second term.

Even his forcing welfare and Medicaid recipients to have a drug test backfired. The overwhelming majority of people on welfare are not on drugs.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:08 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
What's It Like to Wake Up From a Tea Party Binge? Just Ask Florida! | Mother Jones

"They've rejected billions in federal funds in one of the states hardest hit by the recession. They've axed everything from health care and public transportation initiatives to mosquito control and water supply programs."

This is what happens when right wing extremists take over. Especially sad is the loss of the Tampa-Orlando rail link. What utter insanity. It would have been a boon for the whole corridor including Tampa, Orlando, Lakeland and small towns in between.

"the Tampa Tribune discovered that Scott's own transportation department had projected that the train would turn a profit.) Scott sent $2.4 billion back to Washington, a decision that one of Florida's Republican members of Congress, John Mica, said "defies logic."
What can you say? The stupidity of voting for Scott is beyond comprehension. He is a foam at the mouth fanatic. Getting Crist in there or another Democrat should put Florida back on track to sanity.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:24 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,459,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Most of us here in Tampa were disgusted by Scott rejecting the HSR funds. My mother, a teacher, has not had a raise in years. Construction projects throughout Tampa's interstate roads were frozen with his election and are just now coming back to life. Even huge pot holes on busy roads were neglected for months! This Governor is awful! And he almost certainly will not get a second term.

Even his forcing welfare and Medicaid recipients to have a drug test backfired. The overwhelming majority of people on welfare are not on drugs.
You were disgusted that he rejected funds for railroas because your mother didn't get a raise and there are potholes in the roads? Wouldn't both of those be good reasons not to build a railroad so that more money would be available for other things?

Drug testing welfare recipients "backfired" because most people tested don't take drugs? Isn't that hindsight? Didn't it require doing the tests to determine this? Do you know how many people stopped doing drugs so as not to endanger their benefits when they knew the testing program was approved?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 PM

57,188 posts, read 26,148,764 times
He just reversed himself on Obama Care, he will now expand medicaid, less than a year ago he indicated this would devastate Florida.

Quote:
Scott created waves this week after he agreed to accept federal funds to expand Medicaid for three years. Less than a year ago, following the Supreme Court decision that the Affordable Healthcare Act is constitutional, Scott declared it would be “devastating for patients, devastating for tax payers, it’s going to be the biggest job-killer ever. We’re not going to implement Obamacare in Florida.”
Flipper vs Flopper in Florida! Crist, Scott, Obamacare and the next election

Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,331,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You were disgusted that he rejected funds for railroas because your mother didn't get a raise and there are potholes in the roads? Wouldn't both of those be good reasons not to build a railroad so that more money would be available for other things?

Drug testing welfare recipients "backfired" because most people tested don't take drugs? Isn't that hindsight? Didn't it require doing the tests to determine this? Do you know how many people stopped doing drugs so as not to endanger their benefits when they knew the testing program was approved?
My mother not getting a raise wasn't connected to my dislike of Scott for rejecting the HSR funds. It was just another reason for me to not like the guy.

And the HSR funds were NOT used for other projects. The funds could ONLY be used for HSR. You couldn't take the money and then use it to fix roads. Scott had the option of taking the funds and using them for high speed rail or not taking them and getting nothing. Those funds would have provided jobs for thousands of Floridians and would have helped us with public transportation that this state is truely starved for.

And no, I do not believe people stopped taking drugs to qualify for the government aid. I have always known that most people on government aid are not drug addicts. I grew in poor and lower middle class school districts. The vast majority of the kids that I went to school with did not go home to drug addict parents. The reason that most families are on government aid is because of having big families, not drugs.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,642,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The reason the Tampa/Orlando rail wouldn't work is that neither city has any type of decent mass transit in place. There is no way of getting around either Tampa or Orlando once you arrived at either location.

You need a car, both "cities" are uncontrolled sprawl that were poorly designed.

A rail would be great, but FL cities are not like cities in the north or out west. This rail wasn't even going to go to the airports.
Exactly... Most were against the rail as well.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,522,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It really wasn't as it meant the state lost tens of millions of dollars through just out right waste. The cost of the drug tests was ~18 times higher than the amount saved from kicking people who tested positive off of welfare. Worse, Gov Scott give a no bid contract to the company he founded and which he is the single larest shareholder for so it was nothing but corruption and a lose of taxpayer money from start to finish.
Exactly! He was known to be a crook before he was elected and people still voted for him. Hope all the tea crazies get booted out.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,311,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm more of a middle man myself. I think it was the wrong decision to reject the HSR funds. At the same time I think it was a great decision to require people on welfare to submit drug tests.

Disclaimer: I voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012
Why? It has been proven to be waste of money and all that it did was line the pockets of the owner's of the labs that run the drug testing facilities.
96% of Florida Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test ...

Was the 4% that they caught worth the money?

Last edited by simetime; 02-24-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies