Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 03:35 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,761,237 times

Advertisements

I'm gay and married and understand the risks associated with a marriage. I think when we all enter into a union with someone you feel that the relationship will last until death do us part. Yes all to often things unravel and the marriage becomes an anchor, but in so many cases couples do spend their life together and I for one am glad that I can freely make this choice as I'm sure you are too.

I think your mentality is typical for a straight person living in a red state who is comfortable with his sexuality. You may not be thrilled with homosexuality, you'll joke about it and have a general feeling of discomfort with the unknown, but you support equal rights based on what is good for the goose is good for the gander ideology - even if it is not for benevelant reasons, I respect your views. Irregardless if you decide to do the marriage thing I wish you luck

There is far too much ill will towards others in this world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Actually, I am all for homosexual marriage or civil union or whatever it comes to be called.
For one reason, and one reason only:
WHEN they marry, or enter into a legal, binding, civil union, that means they have to get a DIVORCE!
"Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!"
Division of community property, alimony, child support, lawyer fees, court costs, the whole bit!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!
Serves'em right!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,644,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It was removed because the professionals determined it wasn't a "disease" that needs to be "fixed." It wasn't because some homosexuals threw a fit, or they'd also remove a host of other mental illnesses when people complain.
The issue has not yet been proven, has it. If there's conclusive scientific proof that one is 'born gay', let's see it.
If one were born gay, then there would be no bi-sexuals, would there. It would be either one or the other, not both.

Most of the rest of the pro-gay arguments in this thread are pure emotional opinion. These types of threads go on ad nauseum.

We who believe there are moral absolutes to live by will never be convinced otherwise, so you can stop with all the biblical quotes and twisting of scripture and mental gyrations. Those of you who do that don't understand the Bible to begin with, so how can you use it to argue your points. We should all have a moral compass that is set by a higher power (call it that if the term "God" offends you) who is outside of ourselves. We cannot calibrate our own compass and expect to find the right way. We must use something outside ourselves by which to calibrate the compass.

Yes, there is a right and wrong. Those who will not accept it, are making their own rules according to what they "think" is right. They are setting their own compass with norelation to anything outside of themselves.

You can push for all the laws you want, and they probably will be passed, but you should stop insisting that the rest of society -- that segment that holds a different view based on absolutes -- has to like it or accept it. You are free to choose your course in life, and we can "live and let live", because God loves you as much as anyone else and gave you free will.

And it's nothing to do with "fear". That's just a weak argument the gay community tries to use.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:37 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,061,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
If one were born gay, then there would be no bi-sexuals, would there. It would be either one or the other, not both.
How does that logic work?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,221,377 times
Quote:

You can push for all the laws you want, and they probably will be passed, but you should stop insisting that the rest of society -- that segment that holds a different view based on absolutes -- has to like it or accept it.
Actually, you don't have to like the marriage equality laws that are being passed.........but you do have to accept them.

They are already law in nine states and it's a matter of time before more states also have marriage equality laws and you do have to accept them as the law.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,056,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Actually, you don't have to like the marriage equality laws that are being passed.........but you do have to accept them.

They are already law in nine states and it's a matter of time before more states also have marriage equality laws and you do have to accept them as the law.
Gay people right now don't like the laws and they don't accept them. They constantly lobby for them to be changed. Same with anyone else. If they don't like the new laws, they don't need to accept to them, they can constantly work to undermine and repeal them.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,061,012 times
Quote:
You are free to choose your course in life, and we can "live and let live", because God loves you as much as anyone else and gave you free will.
Which side are you talking about here? The way I see, the pro gay marriage side is the live and let live side - you can get straight marred if you want, you can get gay married if you want, you can not get married if you want, either way you have free will in the decision and whatever you decided we all live and let live - whereas the anti gay marriage side wants to force it's moral imperative on everybody.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,844,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
There is no practical way to exclude men and women from a marriage on the basis they won't have kids short of mandating a sterility test of each person. But besides the exceptions of these being very small (who can't biologically have children) and it being 100% for homosexual males and 100% for homosexual females (short of science) it misses the crucial point:

Marriage was intended to prevent children being born out of wedlock not so much to push every couple to have children (but it does this in a way, hence traditions like the 'honeymoon'). Think of it like a seatbelt: we require people to wear one (btw I'm against anyone being required to wear a seatbelt) not because we expect everyone who gets in a car to get into an accident but in order to save the people who do get into an accident.

So in the end, recognizing homosexual marriage is not a civil rights issue. It's a mere redefinition of the word which we can do btw, but it should be done by popular vote. Allow the states to vote it in one by one and when 2/3 (or 3/4, forgot the Constitutional rule) we can require the remaining states to recognize it.
Many straight couples use IVF to conceive, as do same sex couples.
Many straight couples adopt, as do many same sex couples.

IMHO, you are 100? wrong in your statement.

As to the history of marriage, how much research have you done? According to Wikipedia:
"While the institution of marriage pre-dates recorded history, many cultures have legends concerning the origins of marriage. The way in which a marriage is conducted and its rules and ramifications has changed over time, as has the institution itself, depending on the culture or demographic of the time."

And, as many babies are being born out of wedlock, then the very reason to marry has changed. Why can't the definition of marriage?

Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 PM

7,087 posts, read 4,693,732 times
I still say the image of two guys "doing it" is totally gross. That's good enough reason for me. It's not natural human sexuality. Period.

They can do what they want in private, as far as I'm concerned, but why do they need to be so in your face about it.

For the percentage of gay people in this country, they seem to be far more vocal and seem to draw attention to themselves in obscenely unequal ways compared to the number of gay people that exist, which was estimated to be 3-5% of the population, in 2011.

Kind of like atheists. Small in numbers, with huge whining going on, and forcing others to "recognize" them.

best,
toodie

Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,599,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I still say the image of two guys "doing it" is totally gross. That's good enough reason for me. It's not natural human sexuality. Period.

They can do what they want in private, as far as I'm concerned, but why do they need to be so in your face about it.

For the percentage of gay people in this country, they seem to be far more vocal and seem to draw attention to themselves in obscenely unequal ways compared to the number of gay people that exist, which was estimated to be 3-5% of the population, in 2011.

Kind of like atheists. Small in numbers, with huge whining going on, and forcing others to "recognize" them.

best,
toodie
Wow. Well there's a great example of bitterness and insecurity.

The world is just too complicated for some people to handle these days.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:05 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,221,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post

best,
toodie
I'm an atheist.

Please explain how I (and others like me) whine and force others to "recognize" me.

On any given day, and in any given thread on City Data, there is way more evangelizing from the religious community than there is any demand for "recognition" from the atheist community.

Any thread that deals with marriage equality and other gay rights will give you plenty of examples of religious bigots using their religion as justification to try to deny basic rights to human beings.

I am actually quite offended at your blatant lying about atheists; I find us to be really a rather quiet group who are much more willing to "live and let live" than the religious whackjobs who try to shove their fairy tales down our throats.

Please post evidence of your claims - and I will counter with many more examples of what the so-called christian community does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies