Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Who says they want "superior" rights?

They just want the right to marry the person of their choice and to call it what it is - marriage. How is that "superior?"

Separate is not equal.

(And I'm sorry, but whenever I hear someone speak out against equality for gays and in the next breath talk about how they have gay friends, well, call me skeptical. Some of the most outspoken and nasty and hateful bigots I've encountered on other threads on CD claim to have gay friends. Really, with friends like you, who needs enemies?)
As of now, you cannot have a domestic partnership, unless you are gay. Now, once gay marriage is legalized and it will be, do you truly think the gay community will allow this little wonderful gem slip from underneath their fingers? Nope. They WILL have superior rights. Unless this little gem is terminated or given to ALL persons, what else would it be called? A group of people have something another group does not. That is called having something "superior."

See, many gay couples DO NOT want to get married. You are fooling yourself if you believe that too be true. You don't have to believe me at all, however, as I said, my friend doesn't want too get married. She is quite happy just the way things are. She doesn't need a marriage certificate and, all of the problems which come along with marriage.

Over half the population which is married, ends up in divorce. As a gay couple, right now at least, you don't have to deal with or live with the fall out of divorce. You are living with someone and your done? Pack up and go. No nasty divorce. No, "He/she is talking half." None of that applies (at least here in California). In fact, because of this issue, not getting married in the hetrosexual community is getting more and more popular.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
As of now, you cannot have a domestic partnership, unless you are gay. Now, once gay marriage is legalized and it will be, do you truly think the gay community will allow this little wonderful gem slip from underneath their fingers? Nope. They WILL have superior rights. Unless this little gem is terminated or given to ALL persons, what else would it be called? A group of people have something another group does not. That is called having something "superior."

See, many gay couples DO NOT want to get married. You are fooling yourself if you believe that too be true. You don't have to believe me at all, however, as I said, my friend doesn't want too get married. She is quite happy just the way things are. She doesn't need a marriage certificate and, all of the problems which come along with marriage.

Over half the population which is married, ends up in divorce. As a gay couple, right now at least, you don't have to deal with or live with the fall out of divorce. You are living with someone and your done? Pack up and go. No nasty divorce. No, "He/she is talking half." None of that applies (at least here in California). In fact, because of this issue, not getting married in the hetrosexual community is getting more and more popular.
So you're basing your entire argument on something that hasn't happened yet? Seems legit.

You're claiming they have superior rights, based on a belief that domestic partnerships will still exist when gay marriage is legal. Take a second to think about how asinine your argument is. You're basing your entire belief in superior rights on something that doesn't even exist.

So what if gays don't want to get married. Some straight people don't either. But it's their right to get married but the gays don't get that right. Think about that.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:28 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
If the only criteria is right to marry anyone they choose, relatives should be allowed to marry also.
The topic is two unrelated persons of the same sex having the same right to marry as straight couples.

I always find it sad that when bigots really have nothing credible to add to the conversation, they veer off into incest, pedophilia, and bestiality (haven't seen that one yet on this thread, though - yet).

Call it whatever YOU want - perversion or whatever - the fact is that in NINE states and the District of Columbia same sex couples get to walk into their local courthouse and walk out with a license to marry - just like straight couples get to. They then get to have a ceremony, whether that is in front of a judge or in a church (many churches are performing these ceremonies in my state) or justice of the peace or whatever.

And, when all is said and done - they are MARRIED. They have that piece of paper saying they are legally married and they get to call it "marriage."

And, guess what? They don't need YOUR permission or your approval.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

Weird post.

No one is forcing gays to marry. The ones who don't want to, don't have to.

I'm straight and there ain't enough tea in China that would ever cause me to get married again.

But I have that CHOICE. And now, in NINE states (so far!) and the District of Columbia, same sex couples get to make that same CHOICE.

Jesus......no one is putting guns to their heads, saying that just because it's legal, now they HAVE to marry.

I have told all my kids that it wouldn't bother me in the least if they never marry. They can live with the person they love without marriage - my 22-year-old son and his long time, live-in girlfriend just bought a small farm together. I don't even think marriage is necessary if they want to have kids - that piece of paper isn't going to make any of my sons better fathers, and in the event of a breakup, their responsibilities and rights to their children will be the same as if they were married - custody issues, child support, visitation, etc.

But, see? They have a CHOICE.

So, if you don't believe in same sex marriage, don't get married to someone of the same sex. But you don't get to take that away from those who do want that - at least in NINE states (so far!) and the District of Columbia.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Actually no I don't. I believe in freedom for all adults who aren't hurting anyone in society. People against two grown adults that are the same sex marrying each other would rather that the government only recognize their beliefs, not anyone else's beliefs.
So are you willing to have society and government continue to refuse to recognize so-called gay marriage, or do you want them to change to be in alignment with your beliefs in "freedom for all adults who aren't hurting anyone in society?" Because so-called gay marriage isn't universally recognized now. Do you want that to change or not?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
The topic is two unrelated persons of the same sex having the same right to marry as straight couples.

I always find it sad that when bigots really have nothing credible to add to the conversation, they veer off into incest, pedophilia, and bestiality (haven't seen that one yet on this thread, though - yet).

Call it whatever YOU want - perversion or whatever - the fact is that in NINE states and the District of Columbia same sex couples get to walk into their local courthouse and walk out with a license to marry - just like straight couples get to. They then get to have a ceremony, whether that is in front of a judge or in a church (many churches are performing these ceremonies in my state) or justice of the peace or whatever.

And, when all is said and done - they are MARRIED. They have that piece of paper saying they are legally married and they get to call it "marriage."

And, guess what? They don't need YOUR permission or your approval.
They can't get married in my state and never will be allowed unless the US Supreme Court rules !

Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I am always amazed how religious zealots complain about homosexuality while tolerating or participating in adultery and fornication, equal sins. Government should not be in the business of marriage anyway, that seems to have come from the days before treatment of venereal disease.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
They can't get married in my state and never will be allowed unless the US Supreme Court rules !
Well, you know, that can very well happen. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it does.

But, even if it doesn't, who are you to say that it will NEVER happen in your state? I'm sure there were people at one time who said that about MY state, and last November, the voters proved them wrong.

You really need to get over it and realize that it's a different world now. People are more open-minded, or at the very least, more accepting, than they used to be.

Get used to it.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Questions posed like this are in the "When did you quit beating your wife" kind of category. There's no good answer because there's so much presumption in the asking of it.

I'm straight. I have no fear of gay marriage. Given the states that have passed laws allowing it, or even the ones where it's been defeated it by a close margin ... when compared to the percentage of the population that identifies as gay (who knows about the rest), an awful lot of heterosexuals are voting for it.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,855 times
Quote:
BOTH are PERVERSIONS.

Because one is legal doesn't mean it is not a PERVERSION.
According to you, they are both perversions. What part of homosexuality is perverted? Cunnilingus? Fellatio? If they're just as perverted as pedophilia, then shouldn't we be protecting heterosexual couples from these things too? We should be passing laws to end perverted practices.

BS. Homosexuality isn't perverted. Straight couples do all the same things. It has nothing to do with pedophilia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies