Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
I am an independent and a straight, don't discriminate other sex orientation. To redefine culture, however, is totally different issue. You guys can call whatever you like, but why you want to change the culture definition? It seems like a culture revolution, isn't it.
Do you know how many times we've changed "cultural definitions"? Why does this one bother you so much, but all the other times we've done it don't? The only logical reason is because it's related to something (sexual orientation) that you don't agree with.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
If you cannot condone gay marriage, join a church that does not perform gay marriages.

If you cannot condone adoption by gay couples, gather your friends and adopt all the unwanted children yourself.

I'm not gay. I really don't want to think about what gay couples do behind closed doors. Actually, I don't want to think about what other straight couples do behind closed doors either. But . . .

if two consenting adults of the same gender want a legal bond with a person they love, I'm all for it. And I agree with a previous poster, if they want a divorce, they can go through all the crap heterosexual couples go through.

As for children, I would rather be raised by two loving parents of the same gender than be stuck in an orphanage or broken foster-care system.
Currently, in all states that offer civil marriage, civil unions or domestic partnerships to homosexual couples, though we do not get the federal rights, protections or benefits, if we choose to dissolve our unions that have been legally bound, we do have to get a divorce in the state we joined in, all the same paperwork, same legal proceedings as a heterosexual marriage. I have yet to explore wether my partner and I would have to get two divorces, since both our marriage and domestic partnership are legal in California. Soon, just like bans against interracial marriage used to exist, universal equal marriage will exist when DOMA collapses. Freedom and Equality in the US is for everyone, not just heterosexuals, that means all laws governing all of us. No law shall or should be created that denies any class of citizen in the USA from access to the same rights, privilages, benefits and obligations.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
In my home island, Puerto Rico, homophobia is rampant, but the United States does not fall behind that much.

The arguments from people who do not want gay marriage to happen are basically related to religion. Here, I believe, state and religion are separate entities, and the constitution's current definition of marriage as a reason to oppose gay marriage is overwhelmingly vague, since it can be amended, it is not static.

Now there is something that worries me about people's "violent" opposition to gay marriage. Some people react as of this was a murder of an innocent person. Some people dare to compare homosexuality to some paraphilias, like pedophilia and zoophilia. I have even read people that say gays should die! Just what the heck is going on with some people? What is all this fear about? If you are not gay, then you are not gay. It's just as simple as that. While seeing two men or two women kissing could result weird today because it is not the norm to see it everyday (well at least in many parts of the world, maybe SF and Europe are exceptions), why would that bother you?

I am not gay and I support full rights for the LBGT community. I am sure of what I am. Are you?
NObody is "scared" of homosexuality or same-sex marriage. Your mischaracterization of our oppostion renders you neutered.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
The point I tried to make earlier which was vastly misconstrued, was that among the two sides of this thing, only the one opposing gay marriage rights is inflicting itself upon others. People who want gays to be able to get married are doing no harm at all to traditional marriage. Letting the "riffraff" into your elite little club isn't going to lower your property values here. What gay people are doing will remain none of your business. I completely fail to see how it affects anything in the life of an anti-gay individual. No gay man will come and abduct you and force you to marry him. You will not receive compulsory invitations to fabulous gay weddings. The only thing at issue here is that you, anti-gay person, want to impose your ideas of right and wrong on others, against their will.

And addressing THAT for a moment...why are you the morality police again, and how is it you have the time to police other people's lives who aren't hurting anybody else? How are they hurting anybody else, if you think that they are? Do you really think there will ever be a day when you force everyone in your town/city/state/country/world to agree with you in every detail, because you are JUST SO RIGHT? And assuming hypothetically that your traditional, conservative, Christian viewpoint is some ultimate truth like the sky being blue, and homosexuality is a perversion and a sin, why don't you trust your God to deal with it? I'm pretty sure that it's not your job to enforce the ideals of your religion on others in this country. If you want to fight a holy war, move to the Middle East, I hear they're very popular over there. Last time I checked, America was supposed to be about freedom. And if that is the case, we do have to accept that others won't necessarily agree. The line needs to be drawn at infringement upon the rights of others, not offense to your viewpoints.

Now along those lines, I support freedom...so yes, gay people should be free to marry. And business owners should be free to discriminate, and deny gay people services. And they need to understand that in this day and age, that is going to mean a backlash...not only will they lose the business of a gay customer, but they will lose the business of every pro-gay person that customer tells, in person and on the internet. Have fun with that. There's freedom for you.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,006,642 times
I wouldn't say "scared" but I certainly don't support it, but I'm not the type to vocally protest it either.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,704,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but my partner and I of 34 years got married, are married and call it married. You do not own the word and do not have the right to monopolize it, nor does the church.
Call it whatever you like. It's just something you call marriage and some other people have decided to call it that, too. Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless one of you is a man and the other is a woman, it's not really a marriage.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Call it whatever you like. It's just something you call marriage and some other people have decided to call it that, too. Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless one of you is a man and the other is a woman, it's not really a marriage.
Any committed, exclusive relationship of 34 years is more legit than the majority of supposedly "real" hetero marriages in the US that implode under the weight of their own drama and end in divorce.

At least a higher proportion of any gay divorces that may occur will involve nothing more devastating than who gets custody of the cat...who probably won't need therapy later.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:
That's patently ridiculous. Marriage is whatever the society in question dictates it to be.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,704,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
That's patently ridiculous. Marriage is whatever the society in question dictates it to be.
The underlying question here is really whether truth is absolute or relative. In your view it is relative-- things are what we decide they are--- while in my view they are absolute-- things are what they are and what we call them is irrelevant. We can have different views on this question, but there's only one right answer, providing, of course, that you believe that two contradictory views cannot both be true, which is a statement that relativists may not agree with.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,692 times
Quote:
Tried to rep you but I have to spread more reps around first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies