Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It was more about the stealth "other bans" that was in the bill that no one knew about.
But they know now that the city is sending out information brochures to retailers.
Caught many by surprise as they didn't know pitchers and carafes over 16oz are banned as well.
It caught the people by surprise who weren't paying attention. Heck i could of told you this would be in the ban. It wasnt hard to figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
future visit to a new york fast food eatery.. please step on the scale your weight reads 220 pounds, 70 pounds over the suggested weight for someone of your build and height. new york law states we can only serve you a 4 once hamberger, 4 onces of soda and 4 onces of fries.. courtesy of the bloomterd policy, eat healthy my friends

Old 02-24-2013, 04:59 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
This is all about $$$$$$ -- WHY DONT THEY JUST CHARGE MORE FOR LARGE SIZE DRINKS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid
WHY DON'T THE LEGISLATORS READ THE ****ING LEGISLATION THAT THEY PASS????
Because they are stupid incompatent morons.... THEY DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING,THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE SIGNING!!!! (They then pretend they didnt when it hits the fan)

Old 02-24-2013, 05:02 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Right after the ban went into effect I was in Jersey City, NJ on business. I stopped in a convenience store and purchased a 24 OZ Coke and drove to Liberty State Park to sit on a park bench and take in the view of the World Trade Center Tower and the rest of the Manhattan skyline.

That soda tasted damn good too. Drank it all from the safety of the NJ shore.
You rebel!

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
It's probably not a coincidence that somebody who made gazillions in big media ends up banning plastic soda bottles.

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
7-11 has an exemption though and can still sell their big gulp.
So it's not all about fighting obesity, is it ?

Just hit 7-11 for the 64oz super big gulp and walk those NYC streets to the envy of the rest

Old 02-24-2013, 05:05 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
future visit to a new york fast food eatery.. please step on the scale your weight reads 220 pounds, 70 pounds over the suggested weight for someone of your build and height. new york law states we can only serve you a 4 once hamberger, 4 onces of soda and 4 onces of fries.. courtesy of the bloomterd policy, eat healthy my friends
You'd see alot less fat people in NYC. I'd almost want to go visit there.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:05 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why? I say keep obesity on the decline. I barely drink soda as it is, so this won't have any real effect on my life, and if you really need to guzzle all the sugar water you can, there is nothing wrong with expecting you to pay for it. Don't like it? Don't drink soda.

But you live in Texas so you can continue to guzzle all the sugar water you want.
I dont drink any soda pop at all ever and think it is a stupid law singling out one thing and letting the other thousands of processed garbage a free pass. the war on pop is all for show and control,nothing more

Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Ridiculous laws like this that make me glad that I don't live in New York or any similar place where every single aspect of life is made so complicated by people who want to micromanage each and every aspect of other peoples' lives, at least to the degree of determining an acceptable sized container for sodas. You would think that because there is supposedly so much diversity that would cause people to be more tolerant of other value systems and cultural dietary traditions among such a heterogenous population but it's ironic that the opposite seems to happen needlessly in large and complex cities thanks to Nanny state advocates like Bloomberg.

Maybe Bloomberg would be a better fit for a homeowners association board, where anally retentive board members have five hour debates about whether to allow the accepted paint color of a front door to deviate from sunshine beige to desert beige.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Bloomberg didn't really accomplish anything.

The soda companies will get more revenue because of this.
Instead of buying a 1 litre bottle, people will buy six packs or 12 packs that cost more.

Order a pizza and get a six pack instead of a bottle of soda.

What did he accomplish besides being able to show off "control" ?

maybe instead the people will buy the pizza and have a few glasses of water or some other beverage already at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies