Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: If you support the redifinition of marriage, do you support consentual insest?
Yes, I support consentual insest. 48 36.64%
No, I do not support consentual insest. 83 63.36%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
How weak is your argument in favor of same-sex marriage if you have to resort to name calling?

Go ahead.

Give us a logically consistent reason why same-sex marriage is OK but same-family marriage is not.

I'll wait....
marrying your own family member is legal in all 50 states.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'm so glad you are well studied on the issue.

Perhaps you can answer the question none of the other supporters of same-sex marriage seem capable of answering.

If same-sex marriage is OK, what logically consistent reason is there to frown on marriages between close relatives?
If opposite-sex marriage is ok, what logically consistent reason is there to ban marriages between:
same-sex couples
close relatives
multiple individuals
etc?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:06 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
marrying your own family member is legal in all 50 states.

Quote:
United States
In the United States the District of Columbia and every state, except Rhode Island, have some form of codified incest prohibition.[30] However, individual statutes vary widely. Rhode Island repealed its criminal incest statute in 1989,[30] Ohio only targets parental figures,[30] and New Jersey does not apply any penalties when both parties are 18 years of age or older.[30] A conviction for incest attracts the following penalties by state:
5 years imprisonment in Hawaii
10 years imprisonment in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota
14 years imprisonment in California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Idaho
15 years imprisonment in Connecticut, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia and West Virginia
20 years imprisonment in Massachusetts, New York, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, and Vermont
25 years imprisonment in Kansas, Nebraska, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky
Life imprisonment in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.
Three convictions or more of incest also require the offenders to register as "Sex Offenders"

In all states, close blood-relatives that fall under the incest statutes include:
Father
Mother
Grandfather
Grandmother
Brother
Sister
Aunt
Uncle
Niece
Nephew
First cousins (in some states)
Rhode Island allows uncles to marry their nieces if they are part of a community, such as orthodox Jews, for whom such marriages are permitted. Many states also apply incest laws to non-blood relations, including stepparents, step-siblings, and in-laws.[31]
UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh has questioned the rationale behind laws prohibiting incest, at least as they apply to sex between adults.[32]
Laws regarding incest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-24-2013, 06:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Then logic states you actually DO support incestuous relationships - not to mention polygamy, spousal rape, and ownership of one's wife. See, those were the ORIGINAL definitions of marriage.

So let's be honest here, and state what you really mean... you don't support changing it from what YOU think is the proper definition, despite the fact that it's already been changed many times over. I guess that means you don't want it un-redefined? LOL. And to answer your original question, I don't care what any consenting adults do with each other. I don't like the idea of procreating with an immediate family member, since it can lead to serious genetic abnormalities - but other than that, I don't really give a hoot who marries whom.

(edit: I see now that you've already addressed these points, so feel free to ignore what's been covered here)
Yes, and among the Amish of Pennsylvania (possibly among others) there is so much intermarriage that a lot of genetic abnormalities pop up. There is even a special clinic in Lancaster, PA for these kids. Are you opposed to the Amish, OP?
Do Amish have genetic disorders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
A, Keep your hands out of their wombs, that's their decision NOT yours.
B. Homosexual sex may lead to AIDS. Do you not think that gay couples are not able to handle this situation in an intelligent fashion?
Oh, for G*d's sake! Most AIDS is spread by heterosexual sex.
Women and HIV/AIDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
BTW, I hope this isn't off-topic, but nothing seems more "unnatural" over my years of observations of human behavior than monogamy. I have seen little indication that humans are naturally oriented towards having one mate and boatloads of first-hand observations that they are not. Actually, one of Christianity's roles that grew over time seems to be scaring and intimidating its followers into devoting themselves to one person to overcome this natural proclivity to have relations with more than one person.
Well, it is off-topic, but I disagree. I see little indication that humans are naturally oriented towards have multiple mates (at the same time). I don't think monogamy is a by-product of Christianity. Most cultures practice some form of monogamy.
Are humans meant to be monogamous? - Curiosity
***The earliest appearance of culturally induced monogamy appears to have been in ancient Greece and Rome.

These people were not Christians.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Thread title says it all. If you support redefining marriage, do you support a mother marrying her daughter, if they both are consenting adults? Or a father and son? Why or why not? Thanks
Government should not tell me who and how many I can marry.

Marriage should be entirely a religious event.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
You are confusing marriage with sex. Incest is sex, not marriage. They are two entirely different topics.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
again, it is legal to marry a family member in all 50 states.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
If opposite-sex marriage is ok, what logically consistent reason is there to ban marriages between:
same-sex couples
close relatives
multiple individuals
etc?
none.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,725 times
Don't feed the troll people.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are confusing marriage with sex. Incest is sex, not marriage. They are two entirely different topics.
If it's illegal for them to have sex I doubt it's legal for them to marry. I'm going to make that guess without bothering to look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251
again, it is legal to marry a family member in all 50 states.
Not certain family members. Maybe your 5th cousin is fine, but in most states your 1st isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.