Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:45 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If I'm the candidate for <insert name for some very small political party>, do I get the same amount as the D's and the R's?
Theoretically, yes. Realistically, I'll eat my hat if the theory ever happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
When you see that congressmen take more time to get to know their corporate sponsors rather than their constituents, something is wrong.
That's how I generally feel with the Democrats getting in bed with the anti-human, anti-science global warming lobby while claiming they stick up for the little guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Theoretically, yes. Realistically, I'll eat my hat if the theory ever happens
You'll have an avalanche of candidates, it will never work.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:29 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times
Quote:
You'll have an avalanche of candidates, it will never work.
Not really. If you put up a minimum number of signatures, that will weed out the not so serious from the serious. I'd much prefer that than the corruption going on

Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,023,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If you put up a minimum number of signatures, that will weed out the not so serious from the serious.
That is the single biggest obstacle confronting upstart candidates and political parties.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,570,248 times
Quote:
Time to dissolve the US and go back to just being a colony, I guess
In a sense, you have a point. If we'd stayed "a colony", we'd probably have emerged with something like Canadian-style Dominion status and self-government in a generation or two, in which case the U.S. would likely have evolved with a Canadian-style Dominion (i.e. federal) parliament based on the British Westminster system.

Parliamentary constitutions are not immune from special-interest lobbying - far from it. But since the governing party by definition has a majority, it is less susceptible to external lobbying: backbench MPs are pledged to vote for their leadership, so lobbying individual congressmen has little point.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,800,296 times
Quote:
When you see that congressmen take more time to get to know their corporate sponsors rather than their constituents, something is wrong.
Since before there was the Congress... the Parliament, which led to the American Revolution to Shay Revolution and I doubt that would be the last of it.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,763,711 times
Quote:
If I'm the candidate for <insert name for some very small political party>, do I get the same amount as the D's and the R's?
Yes, sir. There would have to be some criteria to meet to receive the funds and there would have to be a formula so candidates in more expensive areas get more, but getting money out of politics from both the right-wing and the left-wing is what is needed to finally get DC to work again.

We should also redistrict every district to make them all competitive seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies