Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,754 times

Advertisements

Not with a huge number of people chiming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,619,891 times
It's possible, but not likely. The anonymity of the Internet allows people to rant and insult behind the shield of their computer, saying things they'd never say to someone in person. This brings down the quality of the discussion and allows name-calling to flourish.

I enjoy discussing politics, but I have no reason to insult someone for disagreeing with me (though I may take offense and react if you coarsely and directly insult my political or religious beliefs). I might think someone may be misguided, naive, or outright mean, but it does no good to call names. It defeats the purpose of coming to a forum where people on both sides discuss issues, hopefully to find some middle ground.

If you want to rant about how much you hate Repuglicans or Democraps, go over to FreeRepublic or DemocraticUnderground, where you can join in with the army of like-minded name callers who just want to rant about the other side.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Sometimes, it appears, it is just easier to skip the debate and go straight into stupid, idiot, libertard, leftist, nazi, republican't, and all sorts of other insults.

Why bother with discourse, when you can straight into playground? </sarcasm>
I think this thread gave you your answer!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Just read this thread that was just posted about a comment Sarah Pallin made. Not a single person responds to the article, everyone bashes the speaker. If you believe she is an idiot then refuting her points should be easy, and I don't even agree with her.
Breaking News: Governor Sarah Palin Warns 'The Feds Are Stockpiling Bullets To Use Against Americans' (She Has A Point)

Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
^^Funny how so many of you keep telling us Sarah's irrelevant when it suits your purpose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies