Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Violent video games not shown to cause real-world violence | MinnPost

Texas University Study Finds No Link Between Video Games and Violence - Softpedia

DailyTech - Study: No Real Link Between Violent Video Games and Aggressive Behavior

Now, instead of attacking me, for your percieved view of my personality, how about opening each source, and refuting it like I did in my post?

There is no link between violence and video games, and the reason I say "one more time" is that there is a search feature on this forum, and this topic has been debated, disproved, and debunked several times. We can discuss why 58% of people feel that something that isn't true, is true. People do that quite often. But to go back and try and debate something thats already been proven falsely is repeating old information easily found.

I came into this thread with false beliefs of "video games causing violence without doubt."
But thanks to your outstanding sources I learned my beliefs were biased and exaggerated.

Good and valid science is more important to me than most things, and I believe the same thing may be true with you as well.

After reading your sources I felt the opportunity to realize the truth in these matters. But instead of practicing good scientific communication to find the truth in this matter, I attacked you for things that I most likely do myself.

I assume you were born in 1979 and I was born in 1972. But it was you that gave me a lesson in the unbiased ways of science.

And thank you for showing me the whole truth about violence and video games.

Perhaps in a way we were both wrong about violence and video games. But with all things considered I am more wrong than you. I think the lesson that I learned here is to always be polite in real conversations about science. And also try to prolong real conversations about science, instead of end them with insults. But I did neither in this thread.

I wish you well, but even more I hope that scientific spirit always remains pure inside of you.

Thank you for the great sources,
Chad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I didn't say that. I said "Random vote"

Yes, you did.
Look at the title of your thread.

Per Capita homicide rate over time is EASY to source, and teen homicides per capita are easy to source. I'm talking about macro directions, and not black swan events "mom starves kid to play World of Warcraft"

Lets be clear/serious here.

Crazy is possible. . it happens. Was it son of sam who was inspired by "The 10 commandments"? Yet would of Adam Lanza or Holmes behaved any different if they didn't have access to? everything but the guns?

I don't think so. . .if anything the true inspiration for crazy is the crazy before. When you are going for suicide/mass killing your only goal is to beat the last guy (Lanza wanted to beat the Norway guy, thus a kinder garden made sense)

We can't tailor our media, books, and games, and news to mediocrity on the chance we might keep the .0000001% in line.

Games aren't a factor in madness, it doesn't create it. It doesn't fuel it. It doesn't change your behavior. It doesn't cause depression. It doesn't manage your neurons.

That is just stupid.

Ad Homminum heh? You disagree with someone so instead of attacking the argument you attack the person in order to apparently discredit the post? I'm sure that helps you feel great about your lack of rationality.
See comment in red.
And if you're going to talk about ad hominem, you ought not do the same.
Hmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You may not have realized it, but that no excuse. It is not relevant for the discussion . . .unless we are discussing grammar. It is and continues to be a Ad Hominum attack where you are "attacking the person" and not the argument itself. . which most people have had no problem reading.

This crap about not being a native speaker (as opposed to Dyslexic with a CS degree and a MBA in Marketing) is just further attack.

Your belittle of my writing style does not impact the argument or its validity, and therefore not relevant. Keep your concerns on grammar to yourself, to the grammar police, or whatever. . .
If you're trying to communicate on a message board and are failing due to your grammar, spelling and sentence structure, it's incumbent upon you to correct it.
There are enough spelling and grammar checking software programs (probably on your existing computer) available to help you.

I'm dyslexic, too.
No one cares about your degrees, and using them as an excuse for poor English skills is patently silly.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-27-2013 at 04:00 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Don't agree with this at all.

People all over the world play the same games, watch the same movies/tv and yet they don't have these issues.

In fact, TV overseas is a lot less censored too.

Got nothing to do with guns either.
This.^^^ I would say violent behavior is caused by a lack of morals. My brothers hunted with guns, played with toy guns, and played violent video games. None are violent men, but they were brought up with morals being taught in the home. They were taught the difference between play and reality and were taught gun safety before they started hunting. This is the perfect example of what happens when parents take responsibility.

The problem with our culture is we have too many parents having kids who don't give a damn about their children. We also have a large number of children from broken families which is hurting them. I also think we don't give our single moms enough private charity support to help with the tough duty of raising kids alone. Some women are not single moms by choice but are widows or domestic violence victims.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Companies spend billions of dollars a year to influence people; would video games not have some sort of influence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies