Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Not in my school. We had an unruly student get out of hand in our school and our shop teacher kicked the living crap out of the kid. The father showed up to the school, thanked the shop teacher and then took the kid home where he beat the living crap out of him. That kid, was quiet and respectful in school after that.
Not sure when this happened but at most schools the teacher very well could be fired today. God forbid the teacher was White and student Black than racism charges would fly.

The dad could also be hauled off to jail if the kid reports him of someone witnessed the beating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What happened to the students who did that to the teachers? I would say students who do that to teachers should be expelled and have criminal charges pressed on them.
I did substitute teaching in the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD). The high schools here are all huge - thousands of students. At one such high school in a very dicey part of town, I had an elderly woman teacher tell me about a student she was afraid of. She made him put his ipod away or something and he waited in the hall and threw something at her. Later that day, when I told a female student to stop eating in class for the second time, she started to raise up out of her chair and was pulling her arm back to punch me. I saw it coming and thought "well s**t" - luckily, another student stopped her. But that was the end of my career with the LAUSD.

Here's the problem - it's not just that the kids are out of control, the schools simply have so many students that you end up just trying to prevent chaos. Classrooms are overcrowded to. And these kids don't scare easy. Their lives are hard already - parents/relatives in and out of jail, drugs, crime, etc... They don't have much hope so kicking them out of school or even sending them to jail just makes them worse. Even middle school kids are a problem.

I started teaching as a mid-life career change because I wanted to make a difference. But with no support from the school district, parents that didn't care, and students that had already given up - what was I going to do? And things got worse in the district after that due to budget cuts - I have friends who've been teachers for years. Very dedicated, passionate people who found themselves in a building so overcrowded they didn't even have a regular classroom, and with students who were in rival gangs in the same classes. They moved on as well.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm sorry folks aren't going to risk their safety because not all kids will assault them.
And what about the kids who are stuck there because they can't afford any better.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
And what about the students in inner city schools who DON'T assault their teachers?

Your right dang it. Always the bad ass apples, that spoil it for the good.

Pretty sad, that these kinds of situation take place. Can you blame the teachers for not wanting to teach in inner city schools then.

People have changed and not for the better, age seems not to matter anymore.

Respect and compassion for other people have vanished.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
And what about the kids who are stuck there because they can't afford any better.
Life's tough.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:48 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Your right dang it. Always the bad ass apples, that spoil it for the good.

Pretty sad, that these kinds of situation take place. Can you blame the teachers for not wanting to teach in inner city schools then.

People have changed and not for the better, age seems not to matter anymore.

Respect and compassion for other people have vanished.
This is exactly what happens. Because the bad kids take up all your time and energy, so can't get to the good kids. So they all lose.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Yup any decent teacher would leave at the first opportunity.

Teachers Leave Schools with Inflow of Black Students - Softpedia

Of course academics place the blame on teachers being racist, that's why they leave. Problem is that Black teachers leave too.
EdwardA, please remember that you are Black too. Just because you're not descended from "American Blacks" doesn't mean those teachers won't look at YOU any different.

You say that the teachers should leave if Black students come in. Guess what? You are Black. Are you, as a Black person, willing to face that kind of sacrifice yourself? When I mean sacrifice, I mean people leaving if you show up.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Life's tough.
Just because life's tough doesn't mean children who truly want an education should suffer. A kid can't help if he was born in a bad neighborhood. A kid can't help if the parents can't do any better in terms of how much it costs to live there. However, a kid who truly wants an education should have it. An education is a way out of poverty.

Don't you have any empathy?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
This is exactly what happens. Because the bad kids take up all your time and energy, so can't get to the good kids. So they all lose.
This is why discipline needs to be put back in the schools. Why not just do that?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
EdwardA, please remember that you are Black too. Just because you're not descended from "American Blacks" doesn't mean those teachers won't look at YOU any different.

You say that the teachers should leave if Black students come in. Guess what? You are Black. Are you, as a Black person, willing to face that kind of sacrifice yourself? When I mean sacrifice, I mean people leaving if you show up.
Don't worry how they looked at me. I will tell you the teachers even the Black American teachers notice the difference. I remember a guidance counselor, a black woman riding me in high school for not doing my college apps in time. She was like you're not like the other African kids.

Also I didn't say they should leave. I merely pointed out that they do leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies