Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
What a piece of work you are. To revel in the plight of fellow Americans.
I have no use for people who take up space, consume resources, and give nothing back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Actually, that's what Democrats intend to do. Punt the ball until the end of the disaster that is Barack Hussein Obama. $20 Trillion is a number they are willing to have concern over..... once a Republican gets in office. They could care less about it while Hussein is in office. That's why liberals are the scum of the earth.
I think that's why the propaganda is flying thick and heavy for Obamacareā„¢. They're going to try to ram through a national health plan before everyone figures out they have no way to pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yet many corporations have been sitting on record profits/cash reserves, hardly the case with the government.
Yeah, so?

It's not like that hasn't been explained before.

There is one, and only way a corporation can prevent an hostile take-over, a leveraged buyout, or a forced acquisition/merger.....and this is with mounds and mounds and mounds of cold hard cash.

In times of economic volatility, like where the economy can turn south or the stock market tank, any intelligent person with even a modicum of commons sense will be hoarding all of the cash they possibly could.

Zenith didn't hoard cash. Why don't you ask Zenith how that worked out for them.....

....oh, but wait a minute, you can't, because Zenith no longer exists.

A Korean corporation started buying up Zenith stocks and since Zenith didn't have any cash.....they got bought out.

The next time you're in a Wal-Mart, McDonald's or Starsux, ask the former union Zenith employees how they like making minimum wage.

Maybe we should follow the Burdell Plan and force corporations to forfeit their cash --- so foreign corporations can buy up all of the US corporations, and then you won't be able to complain, because you'll be too busy trying to find a job while living at the local homeless shelter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I sense you don't even know what a federal government employee does. So, next time you go to collect your food stamps, and there's nobody there to hand them to you ... you'll find out. LOL!
Um, Food Stamps are loaded electronically onto debit cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the animosity towards civil servants is huge. amazing that every obama voter wants to be one.
It will get worse.

When civil servants start trying to collect their pensions, and there's no money to pay the pensions and they're screaming to tax civilians to pay for their pensions, it will get ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I have been looking at this and just can't figure out why they need all these furloughs to begin with given the minimal amount of cuts.
I guess you haven't been in America very long.

When a school district has no money, what happens?

Does the school district fire useless administrators to save money?

No, the school district fires teachers, or retaliates against the parents by cutting bus service, or extra curricular activities and what not.

It's like that.

Bureaucracies never fire the most useless people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
You know for those on here who seem to be happy with the federal/state workers being let go or put on furlough how about we just fire all of them.
How about you not go off the deep end with a Straw Man Fallacy.

What we want is efficient operations. What we want is for the national-unitary-government-masquerading-as-a-federal-government-in-a-republic to push power down to the States where it belongs.

If that causes people to lose their jobs......so be it.

Not sympathetic...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
You Sir are exactly what is wrong with this country.
You be a "regular worker" and be happy.
The people that founded this country were not didn't have a choice to be "regular".
I'm sure your forefathers are REAL proud of you.

uhuh I was saying if you don't like paying so much in taxes close down your company and become a regular worker. And I was telling you if your unable to expand and hire more people that is not the fault of taxes that is YOUR FAULT.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I have been looking at this and just can't figure out why they need all these furloughs to begin with given the minimal amount of cuts. I say this because, based on the projections from the various agencies, it seems there is no effort to cut any waste and they are going directly to the workers first. Seems to be a political ploy and nothing more. Honestly, this is a very small amount of cuts and with the hiring freezes they have had in place, this should be VERY easy to cut a measly 2%. Seems the administration is severely overreacting and using these gov't workers as a means to 'win' politically. I suspect it will backfire on Obama. Has anyone else noticed that the projections of furloughs seem to far exceed the amount needed to cut 2%?
Not necessarily true, but probably a popular view from the outside.

A friend of mine works for the DOJ. Her department was told in January that they had to find a way to cut 6.2 million. They cancelled contracts--she mostly works with contractors providing IT services. Contract emploees in her dept were let go as a result. They didn't consider this "waste", it would just slow down operations and how they do business. In the end, there was still 1.6 million they couldn't find to cut, and so they are being furloughed to make up that 1.6.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
People are being played. In 1945 our defense budget was $83 billion dollars. In 1948 it was just over $9 billion dollars. That means a lot of military personnel lost their jobs. That's just the way it is.

We are supposedly winding down the wars. If so the military should naturally be cut. It's funny how some think the sky is falling because we would cut the military today. With that being the case, yes people are naturally going to be let go. They are going to be let go because they are no longer needed, not because of the sequester, but Obama is doing a bang up job in convincing people that what is going to naturally happen is because spending is actually going to increase as opposed to take a huge hit as it should.

We should understand that war is not a valid basis for supporting the economy.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
All good things have to end. These folks have had it pretty soft for ever.
Government holidays, cushy retirement at 55 and health care. Enough is enough.
What have they created - nothing.
Learn how to face the new normal.
Furlough pay calculator released for federal workers - News - Stripes
So you're starting a thread on something that you don't know anything about?
2012 Salary Tables and Related Information

What you don't know could fill a book.
Are you talking CSRS or FERS (do you even know what they are)?
I think CSRS system ended for employees starting work for the feds in 1987.
CSRS Information
FERS Information
http://govcareers.about.com/od/retir...s-And-Csrs.htm
CSRS was started on January 1, 1920, and is a classic pension plan similar to those established during the same period among labor unions and large companies. Employees contribute a certain percentage of their pay, and when they retire, they expect an annuity for them to maintain a standard of living similar to what they experienced during their working years.

FERS was started on January 1, 1987, and is meant to succeed the CSRS when its beneficiaries die out. Rather than only consisting of a pension program, FERS employees have a smaller pension, Thrift Savings Plan and Social Security. The Thrift Savings Plan is similar to a 401(K).

Health benefits:
Healthcare

Yeah, no one at government has ever done anything.
That GPS you use, government research.
That medical treatment that saved your life, government research.
That lock and dam for river traffic, government engineers.
FDA, EPA, OSHA, EEOC, etc.
Nope, none of them benefit you at all.

It wasn't too long ago that government was paid at 20-40% less than private sector.
Did I hear you whine then?
Advanced degrees required for GS-09 positions.
A 3 year moratorium on pay raises to help balance the budget.
Government gave first.

Don't these people have families that they're supporting?

If it's such a cushy life, why aren't you working for them?

Quote:
The private sector had taken it on the chin for the last 5 years.
Lots of layoffs and business closures.
What makes government workers immune?
Again, you show that you know nothing.
Ever hear of a RIF (Reduction in Force)? Might want to google on it.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-27-2013 at 06:28 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 06:08 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
The private sector had taken it on the chin for the last 5 years.
Lots of layoffs and business closures.
What makes government workers immune?

Thousands of these are not government workers. They are private contractors that support government agencies.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:09 AM

486 posts, read 992,129 times
No sympathy here...

Sorry, it is the way of the sucky world. Government workers need to accept less pay just like many private sector employess have been doing for decades. If government workers do not like it, they can quit their government jobs and seek employment in the private sector, or they can go back to school and retrain for a higher paying private sector job.

You know, I have never met a government worker (state, local or federal) who ever quit their government job for a private sector job. Hmmm...I am not saying it doesn't happen, but I have never experienced it in my own personal dealings with people.

Anyway, these furlough government workers should be thankful they have jobs with very good benefits and decent pay. Seriously. I know I would if I had such a job (well any job really).

Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
If you ran a business and could not afford your labor costs what would you do?
It's time the government started functioning more like a business, not welfare.
The public sector has to change. If not now when? Wait till our debt hits $20 trillion?
You mean pass costs to the customer? The customers are you and I. And we're all going to pay for this one way or another.

[anyone who doesn't think so is in denial]

Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
No sympathy here...

Sorry, it is the way of the sucky world. Government workers need to accept less pay just like many private sector employess have been doing for decades. If government workers do not like it, they can quit their government jobs and seek employment in the private sector, or they can go back to school and retrain for a higher paying private sector job.

You know, I have never met a government worker (state, local or federal) who ever quit their government job for a private sector job. Hmmm...I am not saying it doesn't happen, but I have never experienced it in my own personal dealings with people.

Anyway, these furlough government workers should be thankful they have jobs with very good benefits and decent pay. Seriously. I know I would if I had such a job (well any job really).
Then don't whine about private sector unemployment rates.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
But the vast majority of government workers DO NOT make less than their private sector counterparts. According to this NBC News Story from last year,
From your article:
Supporters of federal workers say the government has difficulty competing for highly qualified workers like doctors and engineers because federal pay isn't as high. Indeed, federal workers with a professional degree or a doctorate earn, on average, 23 percent less than private sector employees. On the other hand, the government offers far greater job security and comparable benefits.

And for the privatization folks: do you know the difference between for profit and not for profit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies