Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:52 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
If your friends don't have enough money for chemo, maybe you should consider a second job or a higher paying job to allow you to afford Catastrophic Health insurance. Isn't this a reasonable solution?

Maybe you missed this part of my first post:
Get a higher paying job, you say? Kiss my ass, say I. Telling someone that they don't make enough money to matter is the very thing wrong our society...

Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
Maybe you missed this part of my first post:
Get a higher paying job, you say? Kiss my ass, say I. Telling someone that they don't make enough money to matter is the very thing wrong our society...
Those who aren't willing to provide for themselves shouldn't be subsidized by those who are.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Quote:
Or the ambitious and responsible.
By that logic, isn't it immoral for Bush to use my money to fund his wars? If he wants to go to war in Iraq, rather than stealing for me, why doesn't he find a way to make a trillion bucks in the private sector?

Really, where does this line of thinking end?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Ok here's my take on it...

The OP is being hypocritcal in the fact that he is lumping everybody but the poor into one lump by saying "we" say "they" are just a bunch of lazy pigs.

This is as true as saying all of "them" have real ligitimate reasons for being in the situation they are in.

Excluding the mentally and physically ill.......

When I am in a store standing in the check out behind someone who has the following:
Cell phone
fancy hair do's or coloring
fancy nails
and designer clothes
1st rate cuts of meats
Pre-cooked meals
Name brand cereals
Name brand juices
Seafood
Beer and cigarettes
(you get the point)

And they pay with EBT(food stamps)
I get more than a little annoyed.

I then look in my cart and I have only the basics so I can make my meals from scratch because it's cheaper that way.
Most products are the store brand and the cheapest cut of meat I can find.
No beer and no cigarettes.

Then I see the "single" moms with 5 kids hanging around and the mom is crying broke while the whole time living with the daddy who drives around in a car with rims that cost more than I bring home a month(but he's poor and it's up to US to support him).

I see people living in run down shacks collecting what's "due" them from the government but sure has $$ to buy beer/wine, cigs and drugs.

I see people that blow off school but it's more cool to be a dropout they cry about "the man" when they can't get a job.

These are the type of people I for one am tired of supporting.

If I lost my job tomorrow, I wouldn't worry about it because I'm not too good to go flip hamburgers or sweep a floor. I work hard for what I have and think others should too.

If this makes me a selfish person then so be it.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
By that logic, isn't it immoral for Bush to use my money to fund his wars? If he wants to go to war in Iraq, rather than stealing for me, why doesn't he find a way to make a trillion bucks in the private sector?

Really, where does this line of thinking end?
Bush is providing what he considers a service to the country by protecting it from terrorists, whether you agree with it or not. BTW, it's illegal to participate in a proxy war funded by private individuals or groups.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Keep it clean and without personal attacks, or I'll have to use Clorox.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:00 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Quote:
Bush is providing what he considers a service to the country by protecting it from terrorists, whether you agree with it or not.
That's how health care would work. Enough people would consider it a 'common good' that would defend the health of the nation, and that would be that.

And it's going to happen, make no doubt. You might as well get used to it.

Quote:
BTW, it's illegal to participate in a proxy war funded by private individuals or groups.
Since when it is illegal for an individual to voluntarily pay more in tax than is required? All Bush has to do is make a trillion bucks, send it to the IRS, and only request from Congress war funding that is at or below the amount he overpaid in taxes. He should do that, rather than steal from me like some sort of communist, right?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal_Jesus View Post
It's not as black and white as that though...nothing is black and white. You can't just sit there and write millions of people off as lazy, which is basically what you're doing.
Being poor is not proof that one is lazy, but let's just admit the other obvious truth, which is that lazy people don't very often get rich.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:15 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
But many people born rich are lazy.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Good one, fish, and I could name a few, but it would take us off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
But many people born rich are lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies