Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
My driving actually improves with a couple beers because, in an attempt not to be pulled over, I actually obey all traffic rules. When I'm sober, I hardly stop at stop signs (impatient). Hell, I'll roll red lights if there is no one at the intersection or the intersection is in a quiet part of town or if I judge the red light to be worthlessly placed. I'll speed, I never use my signal, and I'll weave in and out of lanes because again, I'm impatient.

When I'm drunk I follow the rules to a T and in all my years never been pulled over for drunk driving but I've been pulled over for sober driving all the time.
I like how you feel the need to justify your drunk driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
She had choices and obligations before he started to drive. She had to take a class and get a license to serve alcohol. Similar scenarios to this one are covered in that class.

1. Refuse to serve him.
2. Try to arrange alternate transportation
3. Call the cops.

She ignored 1 & 2 and skipped straight to 3. The story would be completely different if she refused to serve him and tried to get him a cab and he refused. At that point she would have no choice but to call the cops. That isn't what happened here.

1. She served an already intoxicated person. - Illegal
2. She didn't try to arrange alternate transportation or talk him out of driving.
3. She called the cops.

It's not that she was wrong, but her actions contributed to the situation. A reasonably prudent person would not have served him and would have tried to arrange alternate transportation, not escalate the situation.
So, she is supposed to demand that all her customers inform her if they plan on driving, and test them to see if they are blowing over 0.08% BAC?

I think you are assuming quite a lot. The man could have been sitting at the bar, or at a table. He could have walked out the door, from the back of the bar, when her back was turned, and saw he getting in his car.

At what point is a bartender required to "arrange alternate transportation or talk him out of driving?" When the order their first drink? As a bartender, how do I know a person walking into my bar might already be over 0.08% BAC?

i know you are prob just citing laws and regs, but they are ignorant.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM

Wow, lots of irresponsible people on this forum justifying their irresponsible actions. You know what you people are? A bunch of pathetic loser drunks. Maybe one day a drunk driver will kill one of your friends or family members.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So, she is supposed to demand that all her customers inform her if they plan on driving, and test them to see if they are blowing over 0.08% BAC?

I think you are assuming quite a lot. The man could have been sitting at the bar, or at a table. He could have walked out the door, from the back of the bar, when her back was turned, and saw he getting in his car.

At what point is a bartender required to "arrange alternate transportation or talk him out of driving?" When the order their first drink? As a bartender, how do I know a person walking into my bar might already be over 0.08% BAC?

i know you are prob just citing laws and regs, but they are ignorant.
I'm not assuming anything. I am going based on the news report. Plenty of case and statutory law exists. If you want to know what you need to then you can always take a class to get a license to serve alcohol. Every state that I know of has a law on the books prohibiting serving an intoxicated person and minors.

I came into work, he was already there, pretty much hammered,” DeVito said. DeVito said that the man was a regular at the bar and also served as an officer at the Legion Post. “He ordered a beer, I gave it to him, and then I started to try to slow it down, serving him,” DeVito said. She said that when he went to leave, she knew he was not in a state to drive

Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Wow, lots of irresponsible people on this forum justifying their irresponsible actions. You know what you people are? A bunch of pathetic loser drunks. Maybe one day a drunk driver will kill one of your friends or family members.
That is a horrible thing to say. Aside from Zombie, who has justified drinking and driving?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
I'm not assuming anything. I am going based on the news report. Plenty of case and statutory law exists. If you want to know what you need to then you can always take a class to get a license to serve alcohol. Every state that I know of has a law on the books prohibiting serving an intoxicated person and minors.

“I came into work, he was already there, pretty much hammered,†DeVito said. DeVito said that the man was a regular at the bar and also served as an officer at the Legion Post. “He ordered a beer, I gave it to him, and then I started to try to slow it down, serving him,†DeVito said. She said that when he went to leave, she knew he was not in a state to drive
Well, that eliminates half of my argument for her.

Let's say he is a regular customer, he always refuses to take a cab, if she refused to serve him as soon as he walked in, because he was "pretty much hammered" I am assuming she would have lost her job anyway.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,383 times
Quote:
She had choices and obligations before he started to drive. She had to take a class and get a license to serve alcohol. Similar scenarios to this one are covered in that class.

1. Refuse to serve him.
2. Try to arrange alternate transportation
3. Call the cops.

She ignored 1 & 2 and skipped straight to 3. The story would be completely different if she refused to serve him and tried to get him a cab and he refused. At that point she would have no choice but to call the cops. That isn't what happened here.

1. She served an already intoxicated person. - Illegal
2. She didn't try to arrange alternate transportation or talk him out of driving.
3. She called the cops.

It's not that she was wrong, but her actions contributed to the situation. A reasonably prudent person would not have served him and would have tried to arrange alternate transportation, not escalate the situation.
one of the best posts I've read !

Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
That is a horrible thing to say. Aside from Zombie, who has justified drinking and driving?
There have been a lot of horrible things said on here. I say that not because I wish it, but because maybe people's attitudes on drinking & driving would severely change if it happened to them.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 AM

46,959 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Please upgrade my vocabulary. What is an ITA?
ITG = Internet Tough Guy.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Meh, just another ITG.
Says an anonymous coward. Your more of an internet creation then me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies