Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is too bad. I'd hate to be held legally responsible for other adults when I was just doing my job (serving drinks) since you can't always tell who is blotto and who isn't, or know who is driving and who isn't. To shoulder all the responsibility but have no options to protect yourself when the danger is obvious, like seeing an intoxicated person behind the wheel, makes no sense. I can't believe she got fired. As for the whole "she should have called a cab" thing, that won't work if someone doesn't want a cab and wants to drive will it?

Here's hoping the cops make a habit of parking outside or near this establishment from now on, knowing the attitude of the owner towards drunk drivers.

That is known as entrapment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
That is known as entrapment.
Uhh...In what universe? It's called "looking for drunk drivers", and they do it all the time, set up checkpoints, etc. Entrapment would be if the cops gave everyone alcohol then handed them the keys to their cars and THEN pulled them over.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
No one wants people who are tattle tales. Most sane people distance themselves from your types and these owners fired the girl.
"tattle tales"? "my types"? WTH??? THis isn't a playground, it's peoples lives you are dealing with. And a very VERY illegal activity.You wouldn't tattle on someone you knew who was selling drugs to kids or who had just murdered their wife? Seriously, where do you begin to tattle? Explain yourself

Last edited by Ceece; 02-27-2013 at 11:19 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I did read the report. I also read her quote where she said she served him.

Yes she refused him eventually, but not initially. She admits in her own words to serving him while knowing he was already intoxicated:

“I came into work, he was already there, pretty much hammered,” DeVito said.

DeVito said that the man was a regular at the bar and also served as an officer at the Legion Post.

“He ordered a beer, I gave it to him, and then I started to try to slow it down, serving him,” DeVito said.

She said that when he went to leave, she knew he was not in a state to drive.

Bartender Fired For Alerting Police To Drunken Patron Getting Behind Wheel | WBNS-10TV Columbus, Ohio
This poster has it right.

She served him, she was wrong. Every bartender knows you do NOT serve intoxicated people. She did so, anyway. For that alone, she should have been fired. She does not deserve a medal.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This poster has it right.

She served him, she was wrong. Every bartender knows you do NOT serve intoxicated people. She did so, anyway. For that alone, she should have been fired. She does not deserve a medal.
Obviously that isn't why she got fired, her boss doesn't care about her serving intoxicated patrons so where does the blame stop and the logical thinking start? Once she saw him driving what choice did she have...whether she was wrong or not to serve him in the first place.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
You know what?

I wish the bar tender who served a guy drinks, called the cops when that person decided to drive home, and along the way, killed my cousin.

I'd reward the bar tender for doing so. not fire the bar tender.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Obviously that isn't why she got fired, her boss doesn't care about her serving intoxicated patrons so where does the blame stop and the logical thinking start? Once she saw him driving what choice did she have...whether she was wrong or not to serve him in the first place.
She had choices and obligations before he started to drive.

1. Refuse to serve him.
2. Try to arrange alternate transportation
3. Call the cops.

She ignored 1 & 2 and skipped straight to 3. The story would be completely different if she refused to serve him and tried to get him a cab and he refused. At that point she would have no choice but to call the cops. That isn't what happened here.

1. She served an already intoxicated person. - Illegal
2. She didn't try to arrange alternate transportation or talk him out of driving.
3. She called the cops.

It's not that she was wrong, but her actions contributed to the situation. A reasonable prudent person would not have served him and would have tried to arrange alternate transportation, not escalate the situation.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
She could have called a taxi if she really wanted to be sure this drunk was off the street. But no, this idiot called the cops so the patron would get arrested. I would fire this woman. She should have called a cab.

Bartender Calls Cops on Drunk Driver & Bar Fires Her for It | The Stir
I wonder how she kept the guy there to wait for the cops. Or it was a sting, she serves him til he's good n drunk, drives home, and the cops are waiting for him.
As if we don't have enough to worry about with cameras, now we have snitches and spies everywhere setting us up.
Again, this is precrime tactics that I find disgusting.
btw I don't drink

For every DUI that gets caught, they have driven dozens of times and made it safely. They couldn't nab enough people watching for the signs, so they lowered the legal limit. It's a giant money trap.
Illegals get a pass.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I beg to differ. This isn't a bystander calling the cops. This is a bartender calling the cops on a patron who is drunk partly due to alcohol she served him.

She absolutely should have been fired.

And given her responsibility in the situation, she gets no anonymity.
That's a good point, she just killed the business.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
all calling a cab is doing is shifting the responsiblity. If a cab driver comes to a bar is he culpable if he doesnt take the fare? Is he violating the law? what if the drunk refuses the cab? What if he doesnt have fare?

shifting the responsiblity from the drunk to the bartender to the cabbie is rediculous. The patron is too drunk to drive. Let him shoulder the responsiblity for his own actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
And she hers. Her actions were to call 911 and she was fired. Let her take responsibility for that.
^ agree with both of you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies