Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'll tend to agree. Obviously the most logical way to avoid unwanted pregnancies, and having kids before you're ready is abstinence. (honestly who really ever is ready, because when you think you are, sometimes s*** hits the fan... but that is another topic). However; we're human, and as humans we do have urges so it's unrealistic to think that it is that easy to just not have sex. So yes, I have no issue with safe sex being promoted, because I practiced it in my heyday! But, the parents also need to do their part to educate their kids on this topic. Too many parents don't, and then they'll turn around and b*** about the schools doing it.

I don't however, think that we as taxpayers should have to cover someone elses birth control.
I'd rather spend the money on helping them not get pregnant which is rather cheap than later on down the road having to pay for the kids education, health insurance, and general well being. For someone and I'm not just talking about you btw but for someone who does not like welfare than why not encourage more people to practice safe sex and make things easier for them to get a hold of contraceptives? I would much rather me pay for a condom or a birth control pill then the women/lady/girl have a kid and give it up for adoption considering our foster care system is garbage and most who go in end up coming out deeply troubled and later on from there end up being an even larger burden on us when they end up entering juvy or prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
So a burger flipper working part-time at minimum wage who spends 100% of his wages on basic necessities (food, housing, etc.) has a huge (to him) tax increase because he is suddenly taxed at the same rate as a lawyer who works 70-hrs/week for $250,000/year who get a decrease in taxes? Your "fair" system is to make the people who already can't afford food and housing pay more taxes, while the people who are maxing out retirement contributions get a tax cut? You have an interesting definition of "fair".

About the only good thing in your scenario would be if the winners of the sperm lottery (Sam Walton's Heir's, Romney, etc.) also have to pay the flat rate on ALL their income including dividends.

The only way this would work is if the "working poor" get additional assistance from the government to offset their higher taxes.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
So a burger flipper working part-time at minimum wage who spends 100% of his wages on basic necessities (food, housing, etc.) has a huge (to him) tax increase because he is suddenly taxed at the same rate as a lawyer who works 70-hrs/week for $250,000/year who get a decrease in taxes? Your "fair" system is to make the people who already can't afford food and housing pay more taxes, while the people who are maxing out retirement contributions get a tax cut? You have an interesting definition of "fair".

About the only good thing in your scenario would be if the winners of the sperm lottery (Sam Walton's Heir's, Romney, etc.) also have to pay the flat rate on ALL their income including dividends.

The only way this would work is if the "working poor" get additional assistance from the government to offset their higher taxes.
So that's why you build ghettos. That's why you build dirt cheap housing and stuff the poor in cramped conditions. So that the poor can pay their fair share.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
How does taxing the poor and middle class more improve the economy?
It removes the government's incentive for promoting and supporting the income gap.

Explanation here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/28408475-post977.html

Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
What you call fiction is indeed happening daily in this country. Single moms, multiple kids, several baby daddies! That's just fiction? Riiiiiiiiiiigggggggghhhht!

I have no issues helping people. They also have to WANT to help themselves! It's called give and take! But apparently some of you on the left just want to take! Yes... s*** happens! Sometimes there are things that happen that are out of your control. But at some point people need to take responsibility for their OWN actions!
Why did you waste your time restating and thus proving my basic point that you want the government to enact public policy based on your ignorant opinions about the lives of complete strangers?

That is how you want our government to function.

What a joke.

I want government policy to based on REALITY, data, trail and error, with the goal of helping, and not my or your ignorant thoughts about the lives of complete strangers.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The only unfairness is that we don't all have the same opportunities. Schools suck, but if you are poor you have almost no choice.
What? What's wrong with our highly expensive public school system?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You don't choose your parents. If you are born poor you are not going to have the same education as someone that is wealthy.
So, why does the government incentivize the 3 times higher birth rate of those receiving public assistance by PAYING them to do nothing more than breed?

Oh wait, we already know... they're the Democrats' voter base.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
What tax BREAKS/DEFERMENTS/EXEMPTIONS are you talking about?
the EXACT ''''loopholes'''' that you say the rich use

mortgage interest credit
property tax credit
tuition credit
retirement fund credit
energy credit
medical expense credit
job expense credit
child care credit

btw nearly everyone of those credits the rich cant take..as they sunset at 200k

plus the poor parents get the earned income credit

Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post

This is a start.

What is the FairTax | What is a Consumption Tax | Answers on Tax Reform - Americans For Fair Taxation

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What? What's wrong with our highly expensive public school system?
You don't have choice.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Why did you waste your time restating and thus proving my basic point that you want the government to enact public policy based on your ignorant opinions about the lives of complete strangers?

That is how you want our government to function.

What a joke.

I want government policy to based on REALITY, data, trail and error, with the goal of helping, and not my or your ignorant thoughts about the lives of complete strangers.

Please state where I said ANYTHING about the government enacting this as public policy? If anything I want the government LESS involved in our daily lives, not more of it! It's called at some point using personal accountability! Or has personal responsibility and accountability something that we've become allergic to in this country? "Oops I f***** up numerous times and made several poor choices! But gimme gimme gimme, because SOMEBODY has to pay for it!" Same with the bailouts that Bush started, and Obama continued! Sure let's reward the big banks with billions of dollars for their poor business decisions and the Wall Street hacks who gambled with our money! Let's give them MORE money and golden parachutes at the expense of the taxpayers! Wow! That was a brilliant idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies