Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Clearly someone along the way committed theft or fraud.

<shrug>

Considering how much stuff Walmart sells in a year what's is the point of this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:11 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
I'm wondering where the fraud happened. A fat fingered delivery driver seems unlikely (why not just put an empty box ??).

I see two possibilities

1) Customer returns the ipad. Wal-Mart re-shrinks and sells as new. I'm not sure if they can /do do this on electronics.

2) Customer buys ipad. Customer opens/replaces ipad with fake. Customer has their own shrink capabilities and returns it to wal-mart unopened.

I would agree with Mathguy, WalMart is a big company. Fraud just happens every so often.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:21 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
That was a funny story regardless if it was real or fake. Either way, these things can happen, it sucks when it happens to someone, but not something I would blame or bash Walmart over....there are plenty of things to bash Walmart about, but this just isn't one of them.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
If I'm going to spend $500 on A TOY, I'm gonna be sure to open the box and make sure everything's in there and it works.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
If I'm going to spend $500 on A TOY, I'm gonna be sure to open the box and make sure everything's in there and it works.
That's what I did when I bought mine at Target; I opened it there in the store, with the cashier watching, to ensure that everything was there and that it was an actual iPad.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I think it's way more likely the woman was scamming.
I knew someone like this - only he'd do it with tvs.
Buy the new model, put his old one in the box, and then return the tv.
He and his wife would brag about it. Sick people.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Clearly someone along the way committed theft or fraud.

<shrug>

Considering how much stuff Walmart sells in a year what's is the point of this thread?
Ran out of bash Obama material?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I knew a guy that owned a sportscard shop. I was in visiting him one day when a guy brought in a sealed 1989 Upper Deck set. This was back in the day that the Ken Griffey card was a big seller and the set was selling for $200.

He told the guy that the only way he would buy it is if he could open it and make sure the card was in there. The guy allowed him, the card was there and he bought the set.

I asked him about this noting that the set was now worth less once opened. He told me that I wouldn't believe the number of people who took the Griffey card out of the sets, resealed them and then tried to sell them to him.
Yep. The same thing happened in the 80's wax packs. Those packs could easily be resealed with an iron as if they had never been opened. I personally never bought any wax packs from baseball card shows for that very reason. I was too skeptical. I always bought my cards....usually entire boxes of packs at a time.....from local convenient stores who were less likely to fool with the packs. I have literally hundreds of thousands of duplicate baseball cards from the 80's (1980 and later) because all of my complete sets were put together by hand, numerically through wax pack purchases. When others would brag about having a 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco, I could honestly say that I had 12 of them. Still do. Never have gotten rid of my baseball cards. They will be handed down.

These days, tomfoolery in the baseball card industry has been greatly reduced due to differnt sealing techniques. Perhaps Apple could learn something?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
When I worked retail back towards the beginning of the computer era, people would buy computers and remove the memory, processors and HDs and then return them saying " It don't work." One guy returned a chainsaw and had replaced it with blocks of wood(sawed LOL) and bricks and retaped the box. I think its possible they do this at the warehouse and reseal the boxes but it could happen anywhere along the route from factory to store. Are they made in China? Thats probably where the old switcheroo took place.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:24 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Never buy an open box from Walmart. Too many people take advantage of Walmart's unofficial extended warranty program.

As long as Walmart sells the same product, it's under warranty. When yours breaks, go buy a new one, switch it out with the broken one, and return it for a full refund.

It's amazing how despicable some people can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies