Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I wasn't insulting anyone.

Just speaking the truth.

liberals are told what to think by MSNBC.

If somone thinks that an insult it's their problem, not mine.
However, you are NOT speaking the truth - in fact, you are either flat-out lying or incredibly misguided. I never watch the channel, never quote them, and couldn't even tell you where to find it on a cable lineup. So tell me how truthful you are really being.

And given the viewing numbers of FOX News vs MSNBC, I would say there are more conservatives than liberals who take their cues from a biased news station. Hmmm. I also 100% support everyone's right to have & express their opinion, in fact I've argued on this very forum for the rights of groups like Westboro Baptist, the KKK, etc. Considering I'm a Jewish woman who primarily dates Black & Hispanic men, I should be the last one defending their rights - but I do.

As for the OP, I don't really see how this is "proof" of anything regarding liberals' views on interracial marraige. I can only speak for myself, and as stated above, I almost exclusively date outside of my race. So obviously I have no problem with it, LOL. And while this doesn't mean anything in general, I do know the times I've been called names like "n-lover," it hasn't come from a Democrat/liberal. There are racists on all sides, though, and one individual only represents themselves.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-28-2013 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Best of the Web Today: Liberal Racists Warn of Chaos - WSJ.com

James Taranto of the WSJ reports on a controversy involving Sen Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R, KY) and his wife, Elaine Chao. A liberal super pac called 'Progress Kentucky' put out a racist tweet and linked to a site that questions Chao's loyalty to the US. The super pac's executive director later apologized, and said that a review process for tweets would be put in place to prevent recurrence.

As Taranto notes:

This is not unique. Remember that Spike Lee expressed his extreme distaste for interracial marriage, saying "I give interracial couples a look. Daggers. They get uncomfortable when they see me on the street." Apparently it's cool with Pres. Obama, even though he is a product of one. Spike Lee hosted a fundraiser for Obama at his NY home, and Obama was in attendence.
Spike Lee Hosts President Obama Fundraiser, Tweets Photos & Commentary
Without defending Project Kentucky's tweet where did it raise the issue of interracial marriage? Is this thread about interracial marriage or Project Kentucky's tweet? They would appear to be separate issues.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Best of the Web Today: Liberal Racists Warn of Chaos - WSJ.com

James Taranto of the WSJ reports on a controversy involving Sen Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R, KY) and his wife, Elaine Chao. A liberal super pac called 'Progress Kentucky' put out a racist tweet and linked to a site that questions Chao's loyalty to the US. The super pac's executive director later apologized, and said that a review process for tweets would be put in place to prevent recurrence.

As Taranto notes:
This is not unique. Remember that Spike Lee expressed his extreme distaste for interracial marriage, saying "I give interracial couples a look. Daggers. They get uncomfortable when they see me on the street." Apparently it's cool with Pres. Obama, even though he is a product of one. Spike Lee hosted a fundraiser for Obama at his NY home, and Obama was in attendence.
Spike Lee Hosts President Obama Fundraiser, Tweets Photos & Commentary
Gee, you're really reaching now, apparently in desperation to find anything you can use in order to fulfill Karl Rove's "bait-and-switch" tactic. Since racists live in the right-wing world (that's what makes them right-wing), just accuse the other side of racism - any way you can think of. Reverse the message.

These poor kids don't even know what they're saying, but supportive mom and dad are hovering in the background. Yeah, and liberals need to "quit beating a dead horse". Right....

A Show for White Kids - YouTube

This is real racism laid bare. Let's see you lay this one on "the left".

Showdown in Klan Town: Billy Roper - YouTube

Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 PM

256 posts, read 207,102 times
At least we can admit mistakes on our side. Wake me when the Blaze,WND etc doesn't defend racism.

Liberal Super PAC Sends Racist Tweet About Mitch McConnell's Chinese Wife | ThinkProgress

Kentucky PAC slurs McConnell family - Salon.com

DSCC: Kentucky Progressive Group's Tweets 'Inappropriate' | TPM LiveWire

Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That really drove to the heart of the OP post.

Yes, it did, in an economy of words, too.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Without defending Project Kentucky's tweet where did it raise the issue of interracial marriage? Is this thread about interracial marriage or Project Kentucky's tweet? They would appear to be separate issues.
OK point taken, although I'd say it comes close to splitting hairs. The tweeter from Project Kentucky was clearly attacking based on race/national origin. and part of the attack was also directed at McConnell based on the fact that he was married to Elaine Chao. So maybe it wasn't about interracial marriage. Maybe if if McConnell had married a black or hispanic woman, the tweeter would have been fine with that. Maybe the tweeter was just anti-Chinese.

The point is that in election after election, conservatives and Republicans in KY voted for McConnell, and the race of his wife was never an issue; AFAIK it never even came up. Until Progress Kentucky decided to chime in.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post

Where did the 'Blaze' defend racism? I'm not saying it didn't happen, but can you back up your accusation? As someone who is not much of a Glenn Beck fan, I am just curious here.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detwahdj
Gee, you're really reaching now, apparently in desperation to find anything you can use in order to fulfill Karl Rove's "bait-and-switch" tactic. Since racists live in the right-wing world (that's what makes them right-wing), just accuse the other side of racism - any way you can think of. Reverse the message.

These poor kids don't even know what they're saying, but supportive mom and dad are hovering in the background. Yeah, and liberals need to "quit beating a dead horse". Right....
The bait & switch is all yours. You pretend to respond to my post but don't address anything I said. Nothing.

As Ron Paul so eloquently said when accused of racism, his philosophy of individualism is inherently inimical to racism. It is the collectivist left that continually seeks to cluster people into groups.

Sorry but I don't have time to watch your youtube of some idiot w/ a Hitler tattoo. But btw, Hitler was a collectivist, and hence not on the right, at least in the current venacular where right=individualism and left=collectivism.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Spike was upset because his widowed father married a white woman after his mom died. He said a lot of hurtful crap back then about the issue that I'm sure he wouldn't say now. Especially because his dad had kids with his stepmom.

20 years ago, I had medieval views on gays....and I sounded like an ignorant, knuckledragging troglodyte. I was young and stupid.

Well I grew up...thank goodness. Hopefully, no one will still be bashing me over the head 10 years from now for those views.
But the difference is that you have disavowed your previous comments on gays. As far as I know, Spike Lee never disavowed his comments on interracial marriage. If he did, I'll be the first to apologize for bashing him over the head. I will be surprised if you can cite where he ever disavowed it.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
You know how progressive liberals really are- "Diversity for thee, but not for me"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies