Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,454,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
Lost in the comprehensive immigration reform debate is the plan to greatly increase LEGAL IMMIGRATION so companies can bring in people from all over the world in almost unlimied numbers to fill their jobs in America with the best talent that the world has to offer.

This idea sounds great in theory. Businesses will prosper if they can get the most qualified candidates and employees. But under some of the plans floating around Congress a business can advertise their job openings to an international audience, use technology such as Skype to interview candidates and then bring someone from lets say India to fill the opening, and never even consider an American.

The new Indian employee would come under a special VISA and the company could pay them less and work them harder. The company would own them.

This is a significant expansion from the H1 Visa who are mostly foreign workers who are already here or are in college, but under this plan most professional job openings could and would be filled by people from overseas under the idea that we need foreign talent. Any type of job- Accountant, Office Manager, Librarian, Nurse, Teacher, or even blue collar jobs like a Plummer, Electrician or Auto Mechanic.

What do you think? Do you want to compete with an international applicant pool next time you apply for a job?
It seems okay enough to me to try it out and see how it works. Make it a one time thing for a limited time.

My thought is that if the job is worth it to the company to go through the process, then it's probably a pretty important job. So you probably aren't going to see this done for more than a tiny amount of jobs. And given that the jobs it is worth doing an international job search for will be important, then getting the highest qualified candidate you can find on the planet may cause the job to be done so well that the effects on America will be much greater than just the loss of 1 job. Plus, by bringing the candidate here instead of exporting the job overseas you're keeping much of the economic activity and taxes here - the person will be eating, living, travelling and paying taxes here.

If it is implemented and it turns out we're losing too many jobs to make up for whatever benefit we get due to the increased pool of available candidates, then we just don't pass the law when it comes up for reauthorization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
People..Congress is about to double the number of H1-B visas and added the ability to automatically up the number each year without having to pass another bill.

Bipartisan effort folks..both D and R's have authored this bill.
From 2007-2012 775,000 H1-B visas were issued.

Best yet..an exemption for STEM foreign hires. How's that for kicking American workers in the gut ?

The Immigration Innovation (I2) Act of 2013 | Economic Policy Institute
The Immigration Innovation Act of 2013—also known as The I-Squared Act (I2)—was introduced in the U.S. Senate on January 29, 2013, by Senators Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), and Chris Coons (D-Del.).

The most significant changes the proposed legislation would make include significantly expanding the H-1B visa program—an employment-based temporary guest worker program for foreign workers with at least college degree; and exempting foreign graduates of U.S. universities with advanced degrees in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields from annual statutory limits on employment-based permanent immigrant visas (also known as “green cards”).

Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,426,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
Lost in the comprehensive immigration reform debate is the plan to greatly increase LEGAL IMMIGRATION so companies can bring in people from all over the world in almost unlimied numbers to fill their jobs in America with the best talent that the world has to offer.

This idea sounds great in theory. Businesses will prosper if they can get the most qualified candidates and employees. But under some of the plans floating around Congress a business can advertise their job openings to an international audience, use technology such as Skype to interview candidates and then bring someone from lets say India to fill the opening, and never even consider an American.

The new Indian employee would come under a special VISA and the company could pay them less and work them harder. The company would own them.

This is a significant expansion from the H1 Visa who are mostly foreign workers who are already here or are in college, but under this plan most professional job openings could and would be filled by people from overseas under the idea that we need foreign talent. Any type of job- Accountant, Office Manager, Librarian, Nurse, Teacher, or even blue collar jobs like a Plummer, Electrician or Auto Mechanic.

What do you think? Do you want to compete with an international applicant pool next time you apply for a job?

Sure, I think I would win. I have worked on developing skills that aren't easily executed by a person in India or China. So my benefit would be better prices on things like healthcare . . .which would be a win. Drive down prices. . .and drive up the economy. . .

I think we should have the immigration policy of our founders, what we had for over 100 years. Not a criminal? Not sick? come on in

Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,454,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People..Congress is about to double the number of H1-B visas and added the ability to automatically up the number each year without having to pass another bill.

Bipartisan effort folks..both D and R's have authored this bill.
From 2007-2012 775,000 H1-B visas were issued.

Best yet..an exemption for STEM foreign hires. How's that for kicking American workers in the gut ?

The Immigration Innovation (I2) Act of 2013 | Economic Policy Institute
The Immigration Innovation Act of 2013—also known as The I-Squared Act (I2)—was introduced in the U.S. Senate on January 29, 2013, by Senators Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), and Chris Coons (D-Del.).

The most significant changes the proposed legislation would make include significantly expanding the H-1B visa program—an employment-based temporary guest worker program for foreign workers with at least college degree; and exempting foreign graduates of U.S. universities with advanced degrees in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields from annual statutory limits on employment-based permanent immigrant visas (also known as “green cards”).
I don't like that exemption for stem. See the "Scalia's a Racist" threat here for why not.

There is an outdated provision in the Voting Rights Act that has come up in the Supreme Court. Justice Scalia presented the idea that perhaps racial issues are so sensitive that nobody is removing or changing that provison because being seen to be messing around with the Voting Rights Act would get automatic negative reaction no matter what you were doing.

This is a theory called "perpetuation of racial entitlement" - anything given to a minority ends up becoming permanent because nobody wants to be seen as discriminating against that minority, even if they are just adjusting legislation to modernize it.

I think this STEM exemption could very easily fall into that. If we make STEM immigration unlimited now due to needing more people, and then a time comes where so many people come in that American citizens are having trouble finding jobs, then it will be time to stop it. But at that point, will people cry racism and bigotry if someone dares to vote to limit immigration? That's what they did with the Arizona law - the law as written was simply a state version of existing federal law - but immigration activists demonized it as pure out racism.

If we have a current need for more STEM people, then up next year's allotment of STEM in a one-shot bill. Do not make it ongoing policy to have unlimited immigration of STEM people. You might not ever be able to get rid of it politically and we might lose entire STEM fields to immigrants we can't stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies