Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:27 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by chielgirl
The Blaze.
I wouldn't count on any of it being true.

Don't try to reason. They stay away from conservative websites like vampires to the sun.

Now, if it had been on MSNBC... .. .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1107538.html

Confirmed by HuffPost... it must be true!So much for I wouldn't count on any of it being true
Edit.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The punishment was in barring her from the class for the remainder of the term, not providing her with class assignments, making her sit in the office during the class, and then giving her an "F" for the class. That they rescinded the "F" after she appealed doesn't change what she experienced.

http://www.thomasmore.org/sites/defa...t%20022713.pdf
There is far more to the story than stated here most likely. The article though has the same problem I complain about so many times here. The basic complaint appears untrue which causes me to dismiss much of the rest of the complaint.

She is suing the McAllen Independent School District, principal Yvette Cavazos and teacher Reyna Santos for violating her constitutional right to freedom of speech and equal protection under the law — according to the suit, the district has a policy to excuse students from saying the American pledge of allegiance if they object, but not if they oppose pledging to another country

She was not forced to recite the pledge.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Neither does La Bamba, but my sister's class had to learn it and translate it. I think it was a better choice, though.
The traditional version or Richie Valens' version? If it was the Valens version.... woo hoo and arriba!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:10 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The punishment was in barring her from the class for the remainder of the term, not providing her with class assignments, making her sit in the office during the class, and then giving her an "F" for the class. That they rescinded the "F" after she appealed doesn't change what she experienced.

http://www.thomasmore.org/sites/defa...t%20022713.pdf
Barring her from the class wasn't for not reciting, it was for secretly videotaping the class and running off and going public on Glenn Beck and The Blaze.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
well, saying it in spanish does facilitate the learning of spanish

but that doesn't make it a good choice
The anthem is a known standard, text the teacher doesnt have to verify with each student.

Just think if the Teacher had to hear a Ricky Iglesia or Pitbull songs recited. If I were the teacher, I'd want to hang myself by the end of the day.

When I was in English class, we had to recite a passage for the Canterbury tales in old English...What did that have to do with American English tought in southcentral Texas y'all?

Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Barring her from the class wasn't for not reciting, it was for secretly videotaping the class and running off and going public on Glenn Beck and The Blaze.
if you wait about 5 minutes on these kinds of threads, the real story comes out...

Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
She shoulda chanted USA.......USA..........USA and flipped the teacher the double bird salute and walked out of the classroom. Damn moron teachers and their authoritarian BS.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:40 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Part of learning another language is learning the culture.

BTW, when I took Spanish 30 years ago, I had to do the same thing. So... seems like non-news to me.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Our president should be impeached and everyone in congress voted to the curb for not defending this country from invasion.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is far more to the story than stated here most likely. The article though has the same problem I complain about so many times here. The basic complaint appears untrue which causes me to dismiss much of the rest of the complaint.

She is suing the McAllen Independent School District, principal Yvette Cavazos and teacher Reyna Santos for violating her constitutional right to freedom of speech and equal protection under the law — according to the suit, the district has a policy to excuse students from saying the American pledge of allegiance if they object, but not if they oppose pledging to another country

She was not forced to recite the pledge.
But she was punished for refusing to recite the pledge. That is a form of coercion.

Look, I don't believe students in school are afforded the full coverage of the first amendment, when such an exercise interferes with the purpose of school, education.

However, I do believe that as a student she can and should exercise her conscience. In this case, she considers pledges of allegiance to be serious matters, not just random rhetoric. That's a reasonable position. Certainly we can all agree that loyalty oaths are serious matters, and that's exactly what a pledge of allegiance is, a loyalty oath.

Now in this case, the school didn't consider the Mexican Pledge of Allegiance to be a loyalty oath, but instead a language exercise. That is their prerogative, however, they can't dismiss the student's position out of hand, because her position was a reasonable one.

Now she maintains that both the principle and the teacher pressured her to recite the Mexican Pledge of Allegiance, but in the face of her adamant refusal, they presented her with an alternative. Which she accepted. However, after performing the alternative, her teacher gave her an "F", and refused to explain why. When a "B" student gets an "F" on a paper, it's reasonable for that student to ask why. It is not reasonable for the teacher to refuse to discuss it.

So the student goes home, and tells her parents what happened. Her father reaches out to school authorities to find out why her paper got an "F". When the school authorities won't respond to his inquiries, he goes to the media with his complaint.

At that point, the teacher of the class decides she doesn't want this student in her class. And the student has to go sit in the office. The student requests being allowed to return to class, but is refused. When asked how long she has to sit out the class in the office, she's told to ask the teacher. The teacher tells her it's indefinite. What it is is suspension, without any hearing or opportunity for the student to make her case to the school authorities. And it continues to the end of term. When, at the end of the school term, the student finds out that she's been given an "F" for the course, Intermediate Spanish--a language she's 100% fluent in--because she didn't perform the class assignments. Class assignments she wasn't given. Upon appeal, the school rescinds the "F", but 1. she's lost credit for a course that was an easy credit for her and that affects her in terms of both graduation and college applications; 2. Sitting in the principle's office each day during that class because you are barred from a class is clearly not a positive experience; 3. She was punished this way without any due process.

If the school's actions had been limited to the half-page essay on Mexican Independence, and the teacher had graded it fairly and been prepared to defend the grade, then this lawsuit wouldn't have happened. However, the school went far beyond those actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies