Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,372 times

Advertisements

This guy and the rest of the Manson bunch should have went to the gas chamber 40 years ago. None should ever see daylight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 01:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I think Brown is insane.
What does he want from this man? Finally the parole board grants him leave, and Brown steps in to deny it, why? What's his motivation?
I think this is cruel. This man has rehabilitated himself and has served his time. He is 70 yrs old now.
Is there no compassion or forgiveness in this country anymore? I hope Brown doesn't call himself a Christian.
I thought they should have paroled Atkins also.

Governor denies parole to ex-Manson follower - Yahoo! News

Now I've heard everything. He's Catholic, but he requires all schools teach gay history. That my friends is a bigot.

What is Jerry Brown's religion?

Brown is Catholic.

Was Jerry Brown born a Catholic, or did he convert?

Brown was born a Catholic and spent four years studying to be a Catholic priest in a Jesuit seminary.
What Is Jerry Brown's Religion?
He as well as the gal and I don't remember her name should be paroled. You have it right.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
claudhopper------------was he a penpal of yours?
This seems to have been missed by the OP.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So, let me ask this, if a life sentence is to be a "imprisonment for life - maybe" then what is the point of a life sentence in the first place?
This isn't a particularly new concept. I can think of a few reasons:

1. Recognizing the element of reform and rehabilitation in the correctional system.
2. Giving our most violent offenders some motivation for reforming their ways.

Much of this comes down to matters of opinion. I'm less troubled in not treating the original verdict as something sacred that shall not be modified, but for extraordinary circumstances. I'm a pragmatist. Frankly, when some of you start making reference to some abstract notion of "justice" that involves keeping someone in his seventies who nearly everyone who has observed him has concluded to be no risk to society, you lose me. He's reformed, he's not a danger to society, he's spent the better part of his life behind bars. I think he should be released. I have no doubt Bruce Davis was a very destructive person when he was younger. Some people change. Apparently he is one of them. You see a point in keeping him locked up in spite of this. I do not. We seem to just have fundamentally different views of the purposes of the correctional system.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:27 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm curious to know how many people on this thread were alive when the Manson family murder spree took place?
May I ask how that is relevant?

Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think it is odd... first the liberals are against the death penalty, they say LIFE in prison is better... now they say life in prison is too harsh, let them out........ WTF?!?
And let's not forget their murderous notions about abortion. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
This guy and the rest of the Manson bunch should have went to the gas chamber 40 years ago. None should ever see daylight.
Right on.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think it is odd... first the liberals are against the death penalty, they say LIFE in prison is better... now they say life in prison is too harsh, let them out........ WTF?!?
How's that severe concussion doing?
Who says parole boards are liberal? Life in prison is better than..... what?

You are throwing a lot of crap, but none of it is sticking to the wall. Your hatred of liberals has nothing to do with this topic at all.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
How's that severe concussion doing?
Who says parole boards are liberal? Life in prison is better than..... what?

You are throwing a lot of crap, but none of it is sticking to the wall. Your hatred of liberals has nothing to do with this topic at all.
It's laughable.

More than one liberal on this thread thinks Davis should sit in prison the rest of his life. Myself included. But the far-right never seems to get that "they" don't own law and order any more than they own patriotism, Mom and baseball.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
The image of the hanging man is offensive and stupid..who would to to the trouble of posting that? I would worry about that sort as much as a member of the old Manson family. It's nobodies business to take the life of another or suggest that the person take their own life. God through nature and time kills everybody...so what is the rush?

Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This seems to have been missed by the OP.
I didn't miss it, I just don't respond to stupid questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies