Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Manson never killed anyone.
Correct, but he was the master mind behind the killings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 09:38 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And where were you when the Manson clan was murdering its way through Southern California?

They were murdering terrorists and Davis' butt is exactly where it should be: locked away from society. If you've got sympathy for him, write him a letter and tell him how sorry you are that everyone is being so mean to him.
Quit deflecting and address the point.

You keep saying Good for Brown for keeping that murderer locked away over the crimes he committed. But he didn't do that. He kept him locked away because he said until he explains why he followed Manson's orders he is a danger to society. If Davis gave an explanation tomorrow that satisfied Brown, then Brown would let him out. Punishment was not a factor in Brown's decision according to Brown's own words. Therefore, your contention that Brown did the right thing by properly punishing Davis is a failed argument.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
BS. If we want to control crime in this country, especially violent crimes such as murder, we need to get rid of the revolving door mentality that people like you are espousing. If someone commits murder, they need to be removed from society permanently. Same for someone who commits rape or molests a child. I don't care if the perpetrator has spent 10, 20, or 50 years in prison. If the death penalty isn't an option because the state doesn't allow it, then they need to stay in prison for the rest of their life, no parole, no pardon, no release.
In this case, Davis did not murder anyone, they had no evidence of that. Felony murder applies because they say he was present.
Every case is different and mandatory sentences treat them all the same, that is wrong. Judges should be allowed discretion. Parole boards should be respected and politics should not play a role, nor should how pretty the defendant is, as in Arias or the child molester teacher that was too pretty to go to jail.
Recall the preachers wife, Mary somebody, that blew a hole in her husbands back while he was sleeping, then claimed self defense. They bought it, and she is out and with her children. There is a lot wrong with our judicial system. Longer sentences is not a solution, fairness, and leniency, when warranted, is what justice is all about.
Atkins and Davis have/had been model prisoners, they should get some credit for that. Many lifetimers misbehave simply because they are angry and have nothing to lose. You cannot pretend to hold such reverence for life, while cavalierly being willing to throw some lives away that are indeed salvageable. That too is wrong.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
In this case, Davis did not murder anyone, they had no evidence of that. Felony murder applies because they say he was present.
Every case is different and mandatory sentences treat them all the same, that is wrong. Judges should be allowed discretion. Parole boards should be respected and politics should not play a role, nor should how pretty the defendant is, as in Arias or the child molester teacher that was too pretty to go to jail.
Recall the preachers wife, Mary somebody, that blew a hole in her husbands back while he was sleeping, then claimed self defense. They bought it, and she is out and with her children. There is a lot wrong with our judicial system. Longer sentences is not a solution, fairness, and leniency, when warranted, is what justice is all about.
Atkins and Davis have/had been model prisoners, they should get some credit for that. Many lifetimers misbehave simply because they are angry and have nothing to lose. You cannot pretend to hold such reverence for life, while cavalierly being willing to throw some lives away that are indeed salvageable. That too is wrong.
Debra Lafave. Found guilty of child molestation. Sentenced to being too pretty for jail.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I hate this line of logic. If you think he poses a threat to society, then keep him locked up, but this simplistic logic that unless a person can undo what has been done, we should keep them incarcerated for life is insane. Would you say the same of a person convicted at 15 who spends 40 years in prison, reforms, yet still can't bring back the person he killed? Our justice system should not be about vengeance, it should be about the protection of the larger society. Keeping 70 year-olds in prison who pose no threat to anyone out of either some abstract notion of justice or simple vengeance are poor reasons, indeed. I don't think a single individual with any sort of impartiality believes Bruce Davis is a threat to anyone. I would say the same of Patricia Krenwinkel and Leslie van Houten. I'm sure if I were a relative of the victims I would want more than life imprisonment. I'd probably want them drawn and quartered. But a proper justice system should not operate upon what those with emotions invested in the case want. We would simply descend into the sort of barbarism the forum's sociopaths wish us to have. Keep the truly dangerous confined, attempt to rehabilitate and release those who pose no threats.
It's laughable to think a 70 year old poses no threat. Convicted rapist Lawrence Singleton was paroled and five years later at the age of 69 years old strangled a woman to death in Florida.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:03 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
He killed several people and was sentenced to life in prison in lieu of execution. Why should the jury be ignored just because you personally like the murderer?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
I brought up that Brown calls himself a Christian, even went to Jesuit school. He is a disgrace and one of the reasons the left calls Christians bigots. Brown even talks about compassion and mercy, but it's just words that sound good to the gullible. 'Public servant' is now code for those that serve and enrich themselves are the publics' expense. I am so sick of this crap.
You clearly are very confused about what it means to be Christian. Extremely, exceptionally confused.

I guess it's flown completely over your head that there were VICTIMS in the Manson family crimes. The victims are the ones who need compassion. The perpetrators, not so much.

See how easy it is to understand when you use your noggin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
What is it with you LIBERAL LUNATICS?

You blast a guy's religion if he sentences a man to death and blast his religion if he keeps the murderer in prison.
And they wonder why we laugh at them!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:33 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I totally agree with this. I think he deserves to be let free, but I don't think he'd be safe or happy being free in the long run. He'd revel in his freedom for a week and then realize hasn't got a clue how to exist in society anymore, has none of the life skills required.
Who cares?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:37 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
It's laughable to think a 70 year old poses no threat. Convicted rapist Lawrence Singleton was paroled and five years later at the age of 69 years old strangled a woman to death in Florida.
Can you point out where I claimed every inmate over a certain age should be released?

BTW, I thought Bruce Davis was the inmate in question at the beginning of this thread. How many of you can even tell me what crime landed him behind bars?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
I brought up that Brown calls himself a Christian, even went to Jesuit school. He is a disgrace and one of the reasons the left calls Christians bigots. Brown even talks about compassion and mercy, but it's just words that sound good to the gullible. 'Public servant' is now code for those that serve and enrich themselves are the publics' expense. I am so sick of this crap.
The left calls Christians bigots because they're idiots and don't like being challenged. On anything. Ever.

And you shouldn't have brought it up, because it has no bearing on why the jackass needs to stay in jail.

Just your own personal issues and apparently why you can't see straight, you hate Christians THAT much.

Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies