Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 04:42 PM

192 posts, read 347,773 times

Advertisements

Fat is negative because we decided it is. If we did not freak out when the word was used our children wouldnt think it was bad. Fat and fair skinned used to be the best thing to be. It meant you had money. If you were thin and had a tan, you were poor and worked in the fields. Now it has completely flip flopped. If you shelter a kid from the media, teach them the definition of words and then ask them which is bad, they probably wouldnt say that either is worse than the other. If we are going to make a big deal about a freaking homework assignment, how about you take away your kids TV. Disney channel pretty much only uses skinny kids. That is teaching them that fat people arent wanted on TV. Come on people use your brains. Its simmilar to how you are not supposed to react when your toddler runs around naked because you will give them a complex. YOU are doing it to your kid, not the homework assignment. If you dont want fat to be a bad thing, maybe everyone should stop trying to be skinny. Or we should tell our kids that we want to be thin, but its okay if they are fat. the logic behind this is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 04:49 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,058,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama192 View Post
Fat is negative because we decided it is. If we did not freak out when the word was used our children wouldnt think it was bad. Fat and fair skinned used to be the best thing to be. It meant you had money. If you were thin and had a tan, you were poor and worked in the fields. Now it has completely flip flopped. If you shelter a kid from the media, teach them the definition of words and then ask them which is bad, they probably wouldnt say that either is worse than the other. If we are going to make a big deal about a freaking homework assignment, how about you take away your kids TV. Disney channel pretty much only uses skinny kids. That is teaching them that fat people arent wanted on TV. Come on people use your brains. Its simmilar to how you are not supposed to react when your toddler runs around naked because you will give them a complex. YOU are doing it to your kid, not the homework assignment.
First of all, there is no ignoring the society you're raising your kid in.

A fat girl will be considered more unattractive. She is less likely to marry a successful husband and your future blood through your daughter will be forever effected. The best way to elevate your family status is through making sure your daughter takes care of herself and marries a successful man.

Even with your son, attraction still counts for something and will also hurt his chances.

But considering the future of your family there is also the fact that being fat at such a young age isn't healthy. I don't exactly live a healthy life (I'm probably an alcoholic among other things) but I let my kids know the wrong things I do so they can avoid. For example I promote no alcohol for my kids because men on my side can't control it.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,260,768 times
[quote=BentBow;28488145]
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The political views of the idiot mother, who is probably a chunky monkey herself and hence that's why she was offended, were never mentioned.

Funny thing is when ever a right-wing idiot shows how brainless they are while probably admitting they are conservative, it's "well...that's not a REAL conservative"
Someone sent me a reply on my comment regarding the original post on this one and can't for the life of me understand how this whole "lesson" in class regarding a person's physical stature got so out of control. It amazes me how priorities at times can get so "twisted"..you know "Don't get it twisted" or "Don't get your undies in a twist" certainly do fit in here. How did this become a political view in the first place? The word POLITICS if broken down ends up being "POLI" which means "multiple" and then "TICS" which are a bunch of blood sucking insects. Sorry, but that is how it works out.

There is a vast, vast difference in a person being perhaps German and another being born here in America and a person who is overweight and one who is not. In both cases the only difference happens to be where a person is born not who they are. I am having an amazingly difficult time trying to absorb WHY a person would EVER teach a child that an obese child is somehow different other than being heavy? Different means so many things but obese just doesn't make me think different. Why doesn't that school start some sort of program where exercise becomes important and have the kids buddy up with each other? I would be sure the larger kids had a partner who perhaps wasn't quite so large and would be willing to help the larger kid. Teach the kids compassion first and then help them to understand why their partner has a weight issue to begin with.

Unfortunately some of the weight issues we see with kids happen at home and teachers don't have much control over that part of it. It becomes important for our school systems to educate kids on proper diet, exercise etc while they are under their care for a good portion of the day. Offer after school programs to learn proper diet, exercise etc. Don't teach the kids that obese kids are different..teach them that exercise and diet are important to feeling good and being healthy.

By the way. I didn't single your message out in particular....I just didn't know where to respond and didn't want to start a totally new post. This one kinda bothered me as I am so concerned about how our school systems at times can lose the gist of what teaching is all about..AND yes, I was a chubby kid in school and have done battle with my weight so I do know how it feels to have others look at you like you are from Planet ZERO...not fun.

Who says she is right wing?

As a Conservative, I do teach my child that everyone is different.
All children are taught, "which one is different", throughout life.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:46 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,092,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Is this 5-year-old’s homework offensive? Mom says yes | Q13 FOX News

This is political correctness near its zenith.

University Place is near Tacoma, and thus the school district is run by liberals.

Apparently, these libs don't want children to learn.

P.S. - I am a man who appreciates a somewhat plump female body.
I don't think that's an appropriate assignment. And this is another example of why we will be homeschooling.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
That's the power of education. The ability to influence at a young age.

Fat = bad = images of fat people.

You want to change society then you start in the schools with the youth.
Doesn't take much to influence young children. They don't demand facts to back up statements.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:02 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,359,817 times
When we have children TV stars that are way fat that sends a really bad message.
But, fat is funny and funny is money in TV land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies