Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,107,268 times

Advertisements

[/b]QUOTE=hnsq;28659850]Can you respond to the content of my post instead of writing it off simply because of who I am? Talk about ignorance.

I could but I don't want to grill ya. And I wasn't downing you because your a trader. I know what you had to go through to get to where your at now. It takes a very high aptitude level. What I'm talking about is your financial history. From birth to now. I want to know what experience you have budgeting at a certain income level in today's economy. If your a trader, you make too much to understand what its like for the rest of the working class.

In this current conversation I gave you three extremely viable ways a person making very little money can raise funds to move to find a better job in the current economy and you have produced very obscure excuses for every one of them. I did the math for three alternative solutions for something you claim to be impossible and I am the one who is shortsighted? ANYONE can make money in this economy if they stop being lazy and self-entitled as you are! Your rationale is that you were on the path to making good money, you quit that job and now suddenly everyone else is to blame for you not having a better paycheck. Talk about blaming other people for your own mistakes!

Plan ahead, use your free time to study, and you can easily make money. The market is not a zero sum game.[/quote]

I proved your math was faulty. You gave me the $12 an hour example and I ripped it to shreds. Do you want me to go over that analysis again?

And blaming people for my mistakes?? Please don't point the finger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Check job outlook sites on the net for the top job growth in your area and find the best one that matches what you are able to learn. Then get a guaranteed student loan to go to school to earn the degree or certification in that field.

If you're in a depressed area, then look at the net to find the nearest areas with job growth that you are able to relocate to.

I don't think it's overly difficult to get yourself into the middle class with a stable job if you're willing to tailor yourself to the market - learn what the market wants and where it wants it.

I think the problems are when people are unwilling to relocate, unwilling to switch jobs and simply want their current job to pay more, or are unwilling to learn skills the market values instead of expecting the market to value the skills they already have.
Our labor is more skilled as a whole (from an intelligence standpoint) then it ever has been in the history of the world.

The problem isn't people's "skills".

Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,404,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Save up.

if you're living at poverty level and have student loan payments, how do you save up?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:38 AM

58,774 posts, read 27,129,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
if you're living at poverty level and have student loan payments, how do you save up?
Some people are just beyond hope and should commit suicide.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Some people are just beyond hope and should commit suicide.
I'd encourage them to rage 1st. That way we can learn from the experience. Would be even better if they protested.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,186,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I could but I don't want to grill ya. And I wasn't downing you because your a trader. I know what you had to go through to get to where your at now. It takes a very high aptitude level. What I'm talking about is your financial history. From birth to now. I want to know what experience you have budgeting at a certain income level in today's economy. If your a trader, you make too much to understand what its like for the rest of the working class.
Not that it is relevant, but I am not a trader, I do quantitative analysis in the financial sector. Go ahead and grill me. I didn't always have the job I did now. For years I lived on a low income, rode a bike to work 11 miles each way to save money (look through my posting history if you don't believe me, I have talked about it multiple times). I used to live in an apartment so sh*tty that we had to turn the window A/C off to run the microwave to not blow a fuse. I know about budgeting.

Quote:
I proved your math was faulty. You gave me the $12 an hour example and I ripped it to shreds. Do you want me to go over that analysis again?

And blaming people for my mistakes?? Please don't point the finger.
I am sorry, you 'ripped it to shreds'? You gave excuses why for an extremely minor minority what I suggested MIGHT not work. You made excuses, nothing more. You didn't do any analysis whatsoever.

I know you aren't putting me down. I respect you and your intelligence as I know you do me. We just have extremely different political philosophies. The fact that we can talk about them like this is what forces us to become more intelligent on these issues.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,213,992 times
Riding a bike is not that bad though... Faster and more fun than walkin.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,065,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Your poverty is your problem - solve it. Relocate, upgrade skills, do whatever is necessary.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Not that it is relevant, but I am not a trader, I do quantitative analysis in the financial sector. Go ahead and grill me. I didn't always have the job I did now. For years I lived on a low income, rode a bike to work 11 miles each way to save money (look through my posting history if you don't believe me, I have talked about it multiple times). I used to live in an apartment so sh*tty that we had to turn the window A/C off to run the microwave to not blow a fuse. I know about budgeting.

I'm not gonna grill you for what you do. On a personal level, everybody that knows me knows I could care less about job titles. I'm offended when people ask what I do. So don't take it as that. I'm just trying to build a reference as far as your financial history since it pertains to this thread topic.

And I'm glad that you experienced some struggle. I believe its good for us all.

But look at things this way. How do you value yourself? Are you that much more important than farmers, janitors, teachers, etc? What justifies your salary? I'm asking this just to dig deeper in out current pay scale.

I am sorry, you 'ripped it to shreds'? You gave excuses why for an extremely minor minority what I suggested MIGHT not work. You made excuses, nothing more. You didn't do any analysis whatsoever.

I know you aren't putting me down. I respect you and your intelligence as I know you do me. We just have extremely different political philosophies. The fact that we can talk about them like this is what forces us to become more intelligent on these issues.
I'm definitely not trying to put you down. This is just an issue I'm pretty passionate about. IMO, its what's holding our economy back.

As a business owner, I need Americans to have money to spend. All businesses are affected when consumers don't have money to spend.

Is there a lack of revenue in this country or is it just being distributed wrong?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:56 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm definitely not trying to put you down. This is just an issue I'm pretty passionate about. IMO, its what's holding our economy back.

As a business owner, I need Americans to have money to spend. All businesses are affected when consumers don't have money to spend.

Is there a lack of revenue in this country or is it just being distributed wrong?
I'm very interested in what the response to this question will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies