Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You do not do CPR on any person who has a heart beat and is breathing.

NEVER!

Read the quote again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Another unfounded view. Not everyone is trained or capable of performing CPR, and some who are trained/capable would not for legal reasons and/or infectious disease from a stranger (regardless of what the real risks may/not be).
I went to CPR classes. Trust me, it doesn't take a genius I.Q.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You're falling into lunacy. First, you don't know what happened here, so cease pretending you know more than what the rest of us or the media know. Second, the nurse didn't refuse to comply because of the reasons you state - AT ALL. Third, the 911 operator gave instructions which the nurse refused to comply with.
911 operator instructions are not legal orders.

And those of us that are licensed as nurses must follow our respective state's nurse practice act and not the instructions of a dispatcher with no training...

I mean seriously, the only people throwing a fit are non-medical personnel. That should tell you everything you need to know...

Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This was not a hospice or a hospital, it was an independent living facility, so yes this person on the phone would have been covered under the Good Samaritan Statute - as she was told by the dispatcher.
Missed this.

Many independent living setups include nursing "clinics." Where people come for minor first aid, or assistance with and/or education concerning meter use, caring for wounds.

All if that, including education, is technically medical care.

The fact that there is a nurse on duty implies a medical facility, under the auspices of some regulatory body.

In any case, Nurses are still subject to the Nurse Practice Act (may have different name but most states call it that) regardless of the GS Act.

Who cares about a civil suit if you loss your license?

When it comes to emergency care Nurse > 911 dispatcher.

If she made the wrong choice based in some as of yet unknown information the Nursing board will deal with her.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
So they have a nurse for the purpose of dialing the phone????? For Pete's sake.

The fact that they had a nurse on board who made sure this woman received no treatment, will create HUGE problems for this facility. Guaranteed. Mark my words. They might have been better off to not have a nurse there at all. Then at least they could've claimed they had no medical providers present. I'm looking forward to seeing what develops in this case, if it doesn't settle ASAP. No doubt the management of this ridiculous place has already contacted their attorneys and is discussing settlement.
lol.

Or

pffffftttttttt.

Take your pick.

Quote:
What? I don't understand what you're saying.
Surprise!!!

lol

Quote:
You're falling into lunacy. First, you don't know what happened here, so cease pretending you know more than what the rest of us or the media know. Second, the nurse didn't refuse to comply because of the reasons you state - AT ALL. Third, the 911 operator gave instructions which the nurse refused to comply with.
But wait............there's more!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If a 911 operator told me to perform CPR on a breathing individual I would ask her why she would instruct me to do something against everything taught in a CPR class. But that has been noted at least 20 times here.
yes, so why didn't that supposed nurse say that?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The 911 operator says this according to the transcript:

Read more: Partial transcript of 911 call from nurse | News - KCRA Home

If someone is breathing at all, they have a heartbeat and should not have their chest pounded on, especially an 87 year old whose ribs will snap like twigs and poke into the liver causing massive hemorrhage.
well then why didn't this staff person say that?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I can tell you that is not the case. An 87 year old, who requires CPR outside of a hospital and where there is no AED, has essentially a 0% chance of survival.

My sympathy is with the nurse who is being scapegoated because the public has totally unrealistic expectations of life and death.
I'll ask again. If it's against policy to administer CPR, then the age of this lady is irrelevant. Any visitor, including a child or a nurse could lose consciousness or worse, and they would deny treatment until the EMT get there - that is a problem What is the point in having a nurse present? Does she just change bed pans and dispense meds?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM

As for the broken ribs argument, the same could be said of anyone not all that beefy, a woman, a child... why teach it if you're going to be so afraid to use this technique?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Those heartless, gutless "nurses" should be so ashamed. To let that die with this could care less attitude is sickening. You put a life above your job, unless you are a cowardly dirt bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies