Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The younger generation, those that are in their early-20s for example, are simply defeated. They are the ones graduating from college and unable to find employment, millions of them had parents who lost their homes to foreclosure, they are facing an emptying social security reserve, mountains of student debt, and they will never reach the prosperity level of their baby boomer parents.
Your post makes no sense.
Who lost their retirements, homes, etc.
What prosperity?
You're talking boomers here, as well.
There were no jobs when we graduated school, either.

No generation ever got a free ride, even though you like to think that they did.

I make a bit over the median; I'm 60 years old.
I chose not to breed because I couldn't afford it.
I worked several jobs and just started being okay in the past 10 years.

Your sweeping generalities do nothing to promote a discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Your post makes no sense.
Who lost their retirements, homes, etc.
What prosperity?
You're talking boomers here, as well.
There were no jobs when we graduated school, either.

No generation ever got a free ride, even though you like to think that they did.

I make a bit over the median; I'm 60 years old.
I chose not to breed because I couldn't afford it.
I worked several jobs and just started being okay in the past 10 years.

Your sweeping generalities do nothing to promote a discussion.
You worked your way up just as I did and just as many other people did too, which is an admirable quality!

There were no jobs handed to us in our generation, we went and looked for them, sometimes our parents were instrumental in giving us the gentle nudge, out the door. You're approximately my age, I got my first job and began paying payroll tax at 15 years of age.

The way people prosper is working for it, not taking a free ride, and many people think that parents are supposed to give their children everything on a silver platter. I disagree with this notion that parents should give their kids everything. Anything that you and I and millions of other prosperous Americans got, we worked for.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The younger generation, those that are in their early-20s for example, are simply defeated. They are the ones graduating from college and unable to find employment, millions of them had parents who lost their homes to foreclosure, they are facing an emptying social security reserve, mountains of student debt, and they will never reach the prosperity level of their baby boomer parents.
This bit that social security will at some point go bankrupt and some will never see a dime that they paid in has been going around for a long time. That's what they said when I was in my 30s, maybe even in my 20s but I was too busy then getting started in adulthood that I didn't hear it then. Even our very conservative financial adviser said 30 years ago that he thought there would be something around by the time we retired, and as it gets closer and closer, I think he was right.

No one can foretell the future. It is possible that today's 20-somethings will surpass their parents in wealth.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I don't think the generation in ther 20s has ever been as liberal as they are now, at least not in recent history. Reagan won the twentysomethings in 1980. The 60s generation was liberal, but not in the large percentages as this generation.
But the 60's generation took to the streets for change. They took bullets in their fight for change.
This generation...well look at the Occupy movement. When they ran out of donated money they all went home.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But the 60's generation took to the streets for change. They took bullets in their fight for change.
This generation...well look at the Occupy movement. When they ran out of donated money they all went home.
I don't think the dichotomy is as large as you think.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
You worked your way up just as I did and just as many other people did too, which is an admirable quality!

There were no jobs handed to us in our generation, we went and looked for them, sometimes our parents were instrumental in giving us the gentle nudge, out the door. You're approximately my age, I got my first job and began paying payroll tax at 15 years of age.

The way people prosper is working for it, not taking a free ride, and many people think that parents are supposed to give their children everything on a silver platter. I disagree with this notion that parents should give their kids everything. Anything that you and I and millions of other prosperous Americans got, we worked for.
My parents didn't have a platter to begin with.
They taught me that life was hard.
They didn't lie. But we either make our own way or we perish.

I heard an article on NPR last week about late boomers who are homeless because of the timing of their birth (as if they had a choice) and never being to get past the difficult times when manufacturing jobs were abolished and finding their way.
Every generation has their problems.
We make our own luck (of sorts, with a lot of looking at our wants and adjusting for reality).

Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
No we aren't.
Stop listening to the oldies. They had it wayyyyy better.
They really didn't have to worry about terrorism,could get a great job out of high school,and etc.
I'm sick of the boomers' whining.
I am working 2 full time jobs,so no one can say I am lazy. All this and I still am broke.
Housing in this area is 4x my income(decent ones anyway)
Some like to mention that we are spoiled with cell phones and labtops.
Those things aren't a want,they are a need. If you wait for an employer to call your home,you are going to miss lots of opprtunities. Its best to carry the cell phone so you won't miss any calls.
Laptops and tablets are needed for filing out applications. Who walks into a place of business and asks for an application?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
Quote:
It's now up to Gen-Y and Gen-Z to change this and to ensure that this never happens again or we'll continue to see the rape and discard of our citizenry by those that never had our best interests in mind.
I'm not cleaning up your mess.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
No we aren't.
They really didn't have to worry about terrorism,could get a great job out of high school,and etc.
I am working 2 full time jobs,so no one can say I am lazy. All this and I still am broke.
Those things aren't a want,they are a need. If you wait for an employer to call your home,you are going to miss lots of opprtunities. Its best to carry the cell phone so you won't miss any calls.
Laptops and tablets are needed for filing out applications. Who walks into a place of business and asks for an application?
Well you are living in a high COL area with lots of taxes.
Someone has to pay for all those government amenities.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
No we aren't.
We Boomers were brought up worrying about nuclear annihilation. Surely you've heard those stories about air-raid drills in the public schools? Then young Boomer men had to worry about being drafted and sent on a one way trip to Vietnam. EVERY GENERATION HAS THIS STUFF!

I don't see Boomers whining on this thread, I see 20 somethings (some of them) whining.

I would say that cell phones, while not a NEED in the strictest sense of the word, are a necessity in this day and age. Point being, we didn't have them. We couldn't call someone from wherever we were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies