Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The younger generation, those that are in their early-20s for example, are simply defeated. They are the ones graduating from college and unable to find employment, millions of them had parents who lost their homes to foreclosure, they are facing an emptying social security reserve, mountains of student debt, and they will never reach the prosperity level of their baby boomer parents.
How can you feel 'defeated' when you are 20 years old? Try harder, work harder, make something of yourself. I am only 26 myself and I am continually amazed at how lazy many of my peers are. I worked about 75-80 hours/week on a 40 hour/week job for three years to prove I was worth a much higher salary, and after a few years, I got the salary I wanted. Most people my age or younger that I talk to think I am an idiot for putting in so much extra time and effort. The idea of working your a** off to get what you want is lost on most people my age or younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
How can you feel 'defeated' when you are 20 years old? Try harder, work harder, make something of yourself. I am only 26 myself and I am continually amazed at how lazy many of my peers are. I worked about 75-80 hours/week on a 40 hour/week job for three years to prove I was worth a much higher salary, and after a few years, I got the salary I wanted. Most people my age or younger that I talk to think I am an idiot for putting in so much extra time and effort. The idea of working your a** off to get what you want is lost on most people my age or younger.
I doubt that is true for most of them. For those of whom it is true, let's put the blame where it belongs: Their parents and the other adults in their lives who fostered that sort of attitude. Go over to the Parenting Forum and you might find a few parents defending their "helicopter parenting" techniques.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb Is the younger generation really that bad?

Of course not.

As an official geezer, I can tell you that the performance of our youth in the middle east wars should be an indicator.

Some folks get cranky in their old age and just like to gripe mindlessly.

And then there are those not-so-old types who think their local HS starting going to hell in a handbasket the year after they graduated.

Both types seem to be well represented here on the CD POC forum.

I'd suggest leaving them to stew in their own juices.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's why in my post, I mark all the years with tildes (~) because it is shorthand for approximately due to the fact that each generation does not have a solid definition. Some sources I've looked at end GenX at 1979, others as far as 1982. There should be a Census Bureau definition of this.

Saying a segment of people are anti-80s does not make them more or less GenX. Not all Boomers were into free love and flower power dude, for example. Are they less of a Boomer if they didn't wear tie-dye shirts, wear Peace medallions, and smoke MJ? That's playing into cultural stereotypes too much, IMO

No, people born in 1979 are definitely not digital natives. Digital native is defined as someone who grew up, from toddler age, with digital technology. Xers did not have that. VHS and 8 track tapes dominated the roost. Even Early to mid GenY are not digital natives, since most born before 1992 did not have cell phones until high school, no MP3 players, etc.

Here's one source I looked at. This one seems to have one of the later definitions of generations

http://www.forefrontaustin.com/sites...c_MayFINAL.png
That link is little off in terms of years though. I was born in 1979 and my generation is totally Nirvana and Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Green Day in terms of what we grew up listening to not REM or U2. Most people had cellphones by their early twenties, some by late teens--this is the end of the 90s/Millenium period--that's when cellphones really became popularized. As far as being digital natives--no we were more digital pioneers--we were the first age group to have Apple IIe computers in the classroom(playing Oregon Trail of course) in the mid to late 80s, we were really the first generation to grow up buying mostly CDs instead of tapes of vinyl as kids and a lot of us were already going online in our early teens in the early 90s.

The dates in that link are wrong as well--why are they quoting a 44.6% college grad rate in 1996 for Gen Y, when according to them the oldest of Gen Y would've only been about 13 in 1996--it was people born in 1975 who were graduating college in 1996--the tail end of Gen X.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
That's right, how are you going to get ahead if you are not willing to work for it. If one thing doesn't work, try another. At such a young age you can put in those hours. Prove yourself as an asset and you will be rewarded.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
"Is the younger generation really that bad?"

They are as bad as the last last younger generation which has now grown old enough to declare the younger generation the worst in the history of mankind. A generation that will in turn grow old and declare the next younger generation to be the worst in the history of mankind.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I've noticed it's become especially popular these days to hate on the younger generation, especially people younger than 20. For being shallow, violent, vain, illiterate, obsessed with their iphones, whatever.

I do think society has changed, in some ways for the better in others for the worse. But I don't think these changes have happened only within the younger generation. Older people are just as obsessed with the reality shows, tech, have become more reserved and so on.

I also think in some ways under-20s are more open minded about certain things too. Generation X was in many ways quite reserved and closed of, but I think that's changing with the later Gen Ys and the upcoming Z generations.

It seems common even among the younger generation to hate on the younger generation. It's the complete opposite of 45 years ago when "don't trust anyone over 30" was the saying.
Older people historically have always portrayed younger generations as wayward and less then they were. This is the same old same old of older people being shortsighted and biased.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Older people historically have always portrayed younger generations as wayward and less then they were. This is the same old same old of older people being shortsighted and biased.
Some of those who have this opinion are of this younger group, like the twenty six year old poster above.

I do not approve of my gen x peers either, and don't agree with how they are raising their kids.

You are oversimplifying and assuming that people cannot think critically or objectively because of an old stereotype.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Some of those who have this opinion are of this younger group, like the twenty six year old poster above.

I do not approve of my gen x peers either, and don't agree with how they are raising their kids.

You are oversimplifying and assuming that people cannot think critically or objectively because of an old stereotype.
Who cares? This idea that you or anyone can classify a generation that contains 10's of millions of people you have never met, is insane, please stop doing that unless you are mind reader, you know nothing about any generation period.

Again, historically some older people always portray the younger generations as wayward compared to themselves.

This is the same old same old of many older people being shortsighted and biased.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Just wish they were more demanding in music variety. Their technolgical gadgets have somewhat dumbed them down and made them less prolific in certain areas of creativity and critical thinking. I certainly don't hate them as much as find many of them annoying. Seriously, how many times can one say "like" in a sentence before they bore themselves to death? This is a generalization because there are some very intelligent and creative young people out there, but it appears that they are fewer and further between. As for tolerance, yes, I agree that it is thankfully, a more socially tolerant generation so they get kudos for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies