Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,976 times

Advertisements

Here in NYC white people are already for the most part in the minority. This is not the point of this thread. But it is necessary to point this out for reasons that should eventually be obvious to everyone as I continue.

I spend quite a bit of time and money in an Apple store. It is impossible for anyone who is honest not to notice that in a city as diverse as New York, there is a serious lack of diversity among the customers.

So my question is, is it time to address this, at least in a diverse city where a major store has a total lack of diversity? Do some groups of people simply have more access to technology than others because of the advantages (financial and otherwise) they have been given for many years now?

I am willing to pay a little bit more so that less advantaged people can have an equal shot at the new technology for a little bit less. To disagree with this is to say that only certain backgrounds of people deserve a chance at having the best access to apps and other items that can lead to jobs, interviews, etc.

One price simply does not fit all. Not when it comes to technology. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Here in NYC white people are already for the most part in the minority. This is not the point of this thread. But it is necessary to point this out for reasons that should eventually be obvious to everyone as I continue.

I spend quite a bit of time and money in an Apple store. It is impossible for anyone who is honest not to notice that in a city as diverse as New York, there is a serious lack of diversity among the customers.

So my question is, is it time to address this, at least in a diverse city where a major store has a total lack of diversity? Do some groups of people simply have more access to technology than others because of the advantages (financial and otherwise) they have been given for many years now?

I am willing to pay a little bit more so that less advantaged people can have an equal shot at the new technology for a little bit less. To disagree with this is to say that only certain backgrounds of people deserve a chance at having the best access to apps and other items that can lead to jobs, interviews, etc.

OK Poe, why don't you go buy iPhones for all of the underprivileged minorities. As you hand them out I'm sure one or two of the "youths" will try and rob you of yours as well.

Last edited by Velvet Jones; 03-03-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
OK Poe, why don't you go buy iPhones for all of the underprivileged minorities. As your hand them out I'm sure one or two of the "youths" will try and rob you of yours as well.
Actually I am in favor of doing what you said in your first sentence. I think that as long as there aren't enough people that would volunteer to do that, it might be time to make it law and not an option. Nobody is robbing me of anything. If I give it is because I want to give. Someday you will also give because I want you to give. With every passing day there are more people who think like me than there are people who think like you. You are going to give until you have virtually nothing left to give. Then you will know what it means to have less than you think you deserve. The time is coming faster than you think. I am only trying to help to settle the score before it has to come to that. This is what makes me right.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Actually I am in favor of doing what you said in your first sentence. I think that as long as there aren't enough people that would volunteer to do that, it might be time to make it law and not an option. Nobody is robbing me of anything. If I give it is because I want to give. Someday you will also give because I want you to give. With every passing day there are more people who think like me than there are people who think like you. You are going to give until you have virtually nothing left to give. Then you will know what it means to have less than you think you deserve. The time is coming faster than you think. I am only trying to help to settle the score before it has to come to that. This is what makes me right.
You cannot possibly be serious...

Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:

Have you ever taken a look at the demographic that is targeted by iPhone and Mac commercials? There is a very specific niche of people who they want to buy their over-priced products, and the underprivileged don't fit into that niche anywhere (with the possible exception of the iPhone, which imho is priced at about 3 times as much as it is worth).

Why don't the underprivileged buy Apple products? Because they don't have enough disposable income to drop the insane amounts of money that Apple wants for their latest gadget, especially when there are other, more affordable products out there which do the job just as well, if not better.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Repeat after me: Drugs are bad. Drugs are bad. Drugs are bad....

Old 03-03-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You cannot possibly be serious...
Prove any single thing that I posted to be wrong.

You can't.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:

You can't.
There isn't enough credible cohesion in your statement to even bother with trying to prove it wrong. It comes across as a rambling diatribe from a pot-addled hippie who wants everyone to have the exact same things, without realizing what the consequences of that Utopian vision would be.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:

Isnt that ready taken care of...obamafone.

you want a private company to do what; give away phones, jobs, stocks, stores?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:

You can't.
If you want to help the poor buy them food or volunteer at a school. IPhones are not a necessity and would be a waste of resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies