Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The conservatives will never work with President Obama. Here is proof that this is true

This is why Obama can’t make a deal with Republicans
LOL,

The only problem? Obama has said he’s open to chained CPI as part of a budget deal. And this isn’t one of those times where the admission was in private, and we’re going off of news reports. It’s right there on his Web site. It’s literally in bold type. But key GOP legislators have no idea Obama’s made that concession.

Key GOP legislators are unaware of this but an opinion columnist from the Post does? Heck, I've been aware of the claim he was willing to work with this for a good while. It's been reported on for quite awhile.

Now if I was one complaining about income inequality I would be pissed that they were even discussing cutting those on Social Security as opposed to the thousands of other things we completely waste money on but I suppose that is another topic.

So back on topic.

On Sunday, "chained CPI" nearly killed fiscal cliff talks in the Senate. Then the removal of chained CPI from the negotiating table saved the prospect of a deal to keep us all from dropping off the cliff when the clock strikes midnight on January 1, 2013.

What Is Chained CPI? - NationalJournal.com

This is recent news. No compromise here. It might be one area I would support the president on, but perhaps the reason key GOP leaders are unaware of this is because it's not real.

As the article notes, Simpson-Bowles protects S.S. It's really not difficult. Simpson-Bowles was a product of Obama's doing. It seems like something the vast majority of Americans supported. And yet it's still something never discussed. Implement it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL,

The only problem? Obama has said he’s open to chained CPI as part of a budget deal. And this isn’t one of those times where the admission was in private, and we’re going off of news reports. It’s right there on his Web site. It’s literally in bold type. But key GOP legislators have no idea Obama’s made that concession.

Key GOP legislators are unaware of this but an opinion columnist from the Post does? Heck, I've been aware of the claim he was willing to work with this for a good while. It's been reported on for quite awhile.

Now if I was one complaining about income inequality I would be pissed that they were even discussing cutting those on Social Security as opposed to the thousands of other things we completely waste money on but I suppose that is another topic.

So back on topic.

On Sunday, "chained CPI" nearly killed fiscal cliff talks in the Senate. Then the removal of chained CPI from the negotiating table saved the prospect of a deal to keep us all from dropping off the cliff when the clock strikes midnight on January 1, 2013.

What Is Chained CPI? - NationalJournal.com

This is recent news. No compromise here. It might be one area I would support the president on, but perhaps the reason key GOP leaders are unaware of this is because it's not real.

As the article notes, Simpson-Bowles protects S.S. It's really not difficult. Simpson-Bowles was a product of Obama's doing. It seems like something the vast majority of Americans supported. And yet it's still something never discussed. Implement it.

Spending Savings from Superlative CPI with protections for vulnerable $130 (this is in billions)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...ucketed_r8.pdf

This is the President's plan to end the sequestration. It is literally on the white house website.

conservatives are lying. Please read the article. There is a conservative talking head/policy wonk who insisted that if the President put chained CPI on the table he could get a deal with conservatives.

When this conservative was presented with the reality that the President in fact has put that on the table, this conservative moved the goal posts.

conservatives have no intention of working with President Obama.

Anyone who is just a scant bit objective will see that the very things that conservatives say they want to get a deal are the very things that President Obama is offering in his plan.

conservatives are liars.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
The Democrats' bill to avoid sequestration added to the federal deficit. That's not smart or 'balanced'. The Republicans want to close tax loopholes but also lower tax rates and have tax reform. The President refuses to go down this road.

Furthermore, there is no reason Congress cannot pass a bill to cut $200 billion in spending on overlapping and obsolete federal programs without having to include revenue increasse. Having wasteful spending is divorced from revenues and there doesn't need to be a 'balance' in place there.

Finally, the President is refusing to use a 'scalpel' to cut out $85 billion by telling Congress 'no' to the new bill introduced. This makes little sense to the average American. Instead, his posturing means he wants the cuts to go through and hope the American people are hurt enough (not physically) to form a backlash in the 2014 midterm election.

This is political theater in Washington, and it is nauseating. I say every single member of Congress should be fired in 2014.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's not one sided. Republicans bash Obama daily -and not just his policies but also his motivations and character.
If you punch me in my nose and I tell someone my nose is bleeding, i am not "bashing" the assaulter.

The assualted are allowed to questoin the motives and the character of the attacker.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Spending Savings from Superlative CPI with protections for vulnerable $130 (this is in billions)
Obama has said he was for many things that he never followed through on. The article isn't just opinion. The CPI was pulled during negotiations. It's been noted not just by partisans that Obama's "final offer" was also pulled when Boehner showed up to accept it.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
The Senate is required to present a Budget resolution every year as is the president and the House.

The president did present one. The Senate voted it down 99-0. The House did present one and the Senate simply ignored it. They didn't debate it. They didn't amend it and send it back to the House. They completely ignored it.

The House and even the president have done their jobs here.
The president can't even lead his own Democratic Party controlled senate to pass a budget, or debate a budget, and yet the dems have the balls to blame the Republicans for Obama not having a budget on his desk???

Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The president can't even lead his own Democratic Party controlled senate to pass a budget, or debate a budget, and yet the dems have the balls to blame the Republicans for Obama not having a budget on his desk???
Obama doesn't want a budget to pass because then he might have to actually live by it.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

This will require a little reading, but it explains the situation.

Senate Republicans Engineer Rebuke on Budget - NYTimes.com

Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
This will require a little reading, but it explains the situation.

Senate Republicans Engineer Rebuke on Budget - NYTimes.com

What I do find disturbing is, how easy it is for the Obama Admin and Dems to manipulate the Repubs into supporting untenable policy positions.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Obama has said he was for many things that he never followed through on. The article isn't just opinion. The CPI was pulled during negotiations. It's been noted not just by partisans that Obama's "final offer" was also pulled when Boehner showed up to accept it.
Nonsense, again, the plan is right there for anyone to see. Saying well I don't believe the President is an illogical cop out that doesn't mean anything.

The President against the wishes of liberals has repeatedly said hey these cuts are up if I can get some revenues.

The chained CPI is up for negotiations. Means testing medicare, etc it is all up for negotiatiions, but conservatives just have no interest in working with President Obama.

conservatives are liars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies