Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,348,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I am wondering why a thread about Muslims so readily turns into Christian bashing. It seems to me that it takes a lot less courage to criticize Christians than Muslims, and Dawkins is more often critical of Christians and Jews than Muslims. The fact that the thread was turned away from the topic of Muslims would seem to indicate a fear of criticizing them.
Or fear of the mob mentality towards American Muslims.
Some Americans want to keep mosques from being built where they live.
Some Americans have said they believe the war with Iraq was a holy quest from God, given to Busch.
Some Americans have said they believe Islam was created by Satan.

I don't trust any of those people unless they've earned that trust first. I fear them, yes. Notice that two out of three of those factors I fear solely apply to theists...most of whom in the U.S. are Christians. (or at least, I'd like it if they advertised why they should be trusted, rather than taking it for granted that they should be)

If we are to be watchful of Muslims, we should also be watchful of those three groups (in bold) too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,813,152 times
I'm not a practicing Muslim. So I don't worry about this.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Or fear of the mob mentality towards American Muslims.
Some Americans want to keep mosques from being built where they live.
Some Americans have said they believe the war with Iraq was a holy quest from God, given to Busch.
Some Americans have said they believe Islam was created by Satan.

I don't trust any of those people unless they've earned that trust first. I fear them, yes. Notice that two out of three of those factors I fear solely apply to theists...most of whom in the U.S. are Christians. (or at least, I'd like it if they advertised why they should be trusted, rather than taking it for granted that they should be)

If we are to be watchful of Muslims, we should also be watchful of those three groups (in bold) too.
So we shouldn't be watching NYers that fought the building of the mosque? They are good?

Seems to me that you have grudge against certain people and maybe someone should keep an eye on you.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,853,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
What Religion disrespects laws of the land?
I know many, many Christians that believe that God and his teachings take precedence over the "laws of the land". Just because those Christians are very devout doesn't mean that I think Christianity disrespects the "laws of the land".

Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
What Christians are violating that law?
Christians and Muslims who violate the law are subject to arrest and prosecution. And we see such arrests every day.

Christians and Muslims who work to change laws are acting within their legal rights.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No you didn't. You posted an example of someone stating a requirement runs counter to their Constitutional protections of religion. People bring up complaints concerning things that step on their Constitutional Rights all the time. It's the basic reason for the ACLU.

If the courts end up agreeing with the law on this the owner will have to follow the law.
An example of someone stating a law doesn't comply with their religion, and they intend to disobey the law.
Therefore, that person is saying their religious belief is "above the law of the land." A Christian saying that his religious belief is "above the law of the land" is no different from a Muslim saying that his religious belief is "above the law of the land."

Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
So a thread about Muslims turns into a regurgitation of all the tired, old anti-Christian posts that we read from the same group in every thread that touches on the topic of religion and many which do not.

I find it interesting that the anti-religion crowd has plenty to say about Christians, but when it comes to dissing Islam, well not so much. What do you think it is about Islam that silences people who seem like natural critics?

"In a recent Al-Jazeerah interview, Richard Dawkins was asked his views on God. He argued that the god of “the Old Testament” is “hideous” and “a monster”, and reiterated his claim from The God Delusion that the God of the Torah is the most unpleasant character “in fiction”. Asked if he thought the same of the God of the Koran, Dawkins ducked the question, saying: 'Well, um, the God of the Koran I don’t know so much about.' "

Richard Dawkins forgets what |slam ‘is’
Actually, the God of Islam is the God of Abraham. The God of Christianity is the God of Abraham. The God of Judaism is the God of Abraham. Islam, Christianity, Judaism, all worship the God of Abraham. The only thing different, is that each has a different version of the Word of God.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
An example of someone stating a law doesn't comply with their religion, and they intend to disobey the law.
Therefore, that person is saying their religious belief is "above the law of the land." A Christian saying that his religious belief is "above the law of the land" is no different from a Muslim saying that his religious belief is "above the law of the land."
They filed suit. They didn't just say "screw it" I'm not going to follow the law.

We once had a law though that said that blacks had to ride in the back of the bus. I'm assuming that you didn't have a problem with someone saying "screw that" did you?

Hobby Lobby CEO Files Lawsuit | JONATHAN TURLEY

Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They filed suit. They didn't just say "screw it" I'm not going to follow the law.

We once had a law though that said that blacks had to ride in the back of the bus. I'm assuming that you didn't have a problem with someone saying "screw that" did you?

Hobby Lobby CEO Files Lawsuit | JONATHAN TURLEY
Yes, they filed a lawsuit.

I believe that CAIR has filed lawsuits, too.

Once again, declarations that religious belief are "above the law of the land" are not confined to any one religion. They are a constant in any secular government setting, a characteristic of the tension between religion and secularism.

Please don't introduce race into this discussion. This thread is about religion and government.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,937,745 times
I was in South Carolina recently and I freaked when I went into a mini-mart at 4:00 in the afternoon on a Sunday and the Beer boxes were chained up. I asked the clerk what was up with that...and he said: "Can't buy beer on Sundays".

Now talk to me about sharia law.

There are plenty of business closed on sunday in observance of that day, but for the state to mandate it is ridiculous.

We used to have "blue laws" in Texas, where certain types of businesses were not allowed to be open on a Sunday. If you wanted to replace your kitchen faucet, you couldn't just run down to the hardware store to buy one.

I'm glad that nonsense is overwith.

If you want to go to your church and pray until your head explodes, that's your business...don't try to make it mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies