Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 AM

23 posts, read 23,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
^ This. My generation used to think "sick" was a term when one wasn't feeling very well but now it looks like a positive. Impressive. Forgot who puts out the ad but it was for faster speed (computers) and the one kid goes, "That's sick".
That's the annoying thing. Now the words have become very ambiguous.

"Banana" is also used as a slang term for the male genitals. I remember when I told people that I went to the club or had found a friend from the club. They instantly assumed I was talking about nightclubs. Are you cool or are you ill? There are so many words that do not function for original meanings any longer but that's slang for you.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 AM

830 posts, read 1,660,541 times
I always thought this bit from "The Simpsons" was funny:

You kissed a girl, that is SO gay! - YouTube

I agree with the above that people should teach their kids not to use terms like "gay" and "retard" out of context because the terms also refer to specific types of people who don't deserve to be insulted for those qualities. I know that's part of the fun for kids though, to make fun of others and use terms that bother their parents.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:56 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,262,613 times
My son and his friends hang out at my house quite a bit. "That's so gay" means nothing more than it's lame.
There's no homophobia involved. My kid grew up surrounded by gays and his best friend's dad was a transsexual. The kids used to hand him his makeup while he taught them about jet engines.
He wouldn't dream of using it in the derogatory sense. Languages change over time.
Word.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:51 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,774,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
"That's So Gay" is not nearly as offensive as using the word "gay" to identify homosexuals or the homosexual populations hijacking of the word.

Being gay used to mean, happy, carefree and a sense of joy. Somewhere, that word became the domain of homosexuals and that is far more offensive. Now you can't use the word without fear of offending homosexuals. Excuse me but too bad. There was no right to take that word and make it something it was not intended to be and by so doing, remove it from everyday speech just because some segment of the population needed a way to identify themselves.

By hijacking the word "gay" something was taken from others. Isn't it strange that it becomes a one way street so easily?

I could care less about the sexuality of anyone else but when you decide to simple take from others and then complain that it happens to you, all bets are off. First set an example, then ask others to follow it.
Not all of us like this word. Perhaps, if you knew where this term originated you wouldn't be so quick to assume. The term gay was originally, often used in a pejorative sense to describe gay men (and often still is). As in, happy in a "silly" sort of way; thus not masculine. Nobody has hijacked the word. Heterosexuals can use this word all they want to describe "happy." The problem is, the prevalent homophobia foisted upon homosexual people has black-listed this word, deeming anything, even remotely associated with homosexuality is equated as bad, thus to be associated as anything similar to the homosexual is a terrible thing. When heteros understand, that by eliminating homophobia they can free themselves as well, they too have something to be gained by eliminating this bigotry. Sadly, the straight male must always be aware, to keep his emotions in check, to insure he does not resemble, even slightly the stereotype of the dreaded male homosexual.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:37 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,350,026 times
In British Columbia is seems to be pretty much confined to the high school crowd. I haven't seen it crossing over to other braindead units like the word "WHATEVER"!
The suggestion here is that you're only allowed (City By-Law) to use such words/phrases if you're 13, texting, and wearing your LuLuLemon tights without a brain.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,648,457 times
I'm sorry, but when a young adult uses the expressions "that's so gay" there is no underlying homophobia, or any thought at all of homosexuals. It just means lame, stupid, ridiculous.

Sticks and stones, people.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,768,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Sticks and stones, people.
Have to say, I've never really agreed with this saying... as I think most of us know, words definitely CAN hurt, often waaaaay more than physical pain. If you punch me it'll hurt, but I'll get over it pretty quickly; if you denigrate me with words, that can leave a lasting/permanent scar. Just sayin'.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,665,225 times
Another word that seems to have been reserved to exclusively mean homosexual is a five letter word that starts with a q and also means odd or unusual. I would type the word here, but it has apparently been determined by this website that this word is now inappropriate, since all you get a five asterisks: ***** how that works, isn't it? I wonder how long until gay shows up as ***?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,871,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
A little research tells me that today when young people say something is "so gay" they usually mean it is lame and not necessarily homosexual. I found this interesting.

How
We were saying "so gay" 35 years ago to note something as lame, perverse or socially unacceptable.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,897,224 times
I've been reading the comments that offer up the use of other words that have multiple meanings or over time have including others.

I also noticed that the words like banana and so on do not elicit nearly the effort to force people to use them in a certain way as does the use of the word "gay".

It seems that anyone using the word "gay" must be careful so as not to offend homosexuals. In the word of someone who posted earlier:

Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies