Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:47 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,385,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
As a gay male I find that when someone says "that is so gay" in context it means that it is odd or wierd and not the way something should be. I usually ask them (if I know them) and they usually confirm my suspicion. I ask them if they think that because i'm gay that i'm odd or wierd and not the way I should be. Light bulb goes off and they say not at all and didn't think of it that way. I don't usually find people are malicious when they say it but I do think they have to think of the context of the words they use. Context matters!
Yeah, people saying "that is so gay" is just retarded.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,775,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
How about man-of-the-hour Rand Paul insulting gays :

Sen. Rand Paul - Obama's Gay Marriage! - YouTube

This guy really epitomized the ignorance some people have surrounding same-sex marriage. What does he mean "give up" on traditional marriage? Is this the best the oppressors can do? Coming up with make believe reasons why one should be against same-sex marriage?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:33 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,775,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
It seems that anyone using the word "gay" must be careful so as not to offend homosexuals. In the word of someone who posted earlier:

Deal with it.
No, we're talking about the proliferation of the use of the word in a negative context only.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,787,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Yet it seems that almost any insult against Christians goes uncensored.
I didn't realize there were any specific anti-Christian slurs - can you enlighten us on what those are? If there aren't any, I hope you understand that filtering software can't just "determine intended offense."

Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Look, in many cases its just a term referring to lame. Negative? Yes, always.

Here's some harsh reality. Whether most straight normal people would admit it or not, most would never want to be gay. Sorry, but that's just common sense truth. It may be offensive to you, but its the truth.
What's your obsession with telling us how "abnormal" it is? Do you think being unusual/minority is a negative thing, if so why? I'm a redheaded Jew with blue eyes, which is WAY more "abnormal" than a homosexual - and I rather like that! So you can stop with that, because most people with NORMAL brains realize abnormality isn't always negative. And gay people can be otherwise normal too, in fact they're often more normal-minded than straight people (like you, for sure). Furthermore, what does any of this have to do with the thread's topic?

P.S. I'm a straight woman who would love to be a gay man... seriously, I've wished it more than once. So please speak for yourself only, because lord knows I don't even understand your language.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 PM

29,680 posts, read 24,720,025 times
I'm sure "that' so gay" will go the way of the N word. The people who feel most insulted by it's use will be the one's using it the most. Basically, certain groups are demanding ownership of derogatory terms and phrases. Kind of hypocritical if you ask me, especially considering how no one has a problem when people say "that's retarded".

Old 03-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
What I wanna know is why being offended gives someone special rights?

You're offended? So what? Tell your mama, 'cause I don't care.

I give up my right to speech because you don't like the vocabulary I use? lols.
Who's asking you to give up your rights? I don't think anyone is suggesting a nationwide ban, they're just asking people to be more sensitive. I know sensitive is like a dirty word these days, but my parents raised me to be respectful - stupid liberal parents and their "respect" nonsense, LOL.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm sure "that' so gay" will go the way of the N word. The people who feel most insulted by it's use will be the one's using it the most. Basically, certain groups are demanding ownership of derogatory terms and phrases. Kind of hypocritical if you ask me, especially considering how no one has a problem when people say "that's retarded".
Really?? I think LOTS of people have a problem with that, in fact I find it much more offensive than "that's so gay." I used to work with the Special Olympics, and the athletes found it highly offensive too... so where do you get the idea nobody cares about that?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:46 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,055,810 times
We need to stop worrying about offending people and start speaking our minds. This is not elementary school.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
aaww the good old days..... when men were men and the 1% of the population who were "gay" kept their mouth shut.
Gay men are still men, for the most part - and the gay population is MUCH higher than 1%, especially if you include bisexuality and other non-heterosexual orientations. Oh, and do you really long for the days when homosexuals stayed closeted? Yep, marrying a woman (or man, as the case may be) you have ZERO attraction to, only to cheat on them and bring home diseases because you're afraid to admit who are. Ahhhhh the good 'ol days. You people are unbelievable, I swear it's like you're parodying insanity sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies