Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 11 days ago)

29,529 posts, read 16,512,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Let me ask? What is wrong being anti-war? Or having no restrictions on civil matters? Why shouldn't gays be allowed to get married or call it whatever they want for that matter? The government has no business in our bedrooms, nor does it have any business in the marriage business. Why should the government dictate what we can put in our bodies? Libertarians, are not anti-government. We're for sensible government. An expansive government is wasteful, not to mention the "group think" that goes along with it. Too much "group think" is not a good thing.
I never said there was anything with being anti War or anti restrictions on civil matters or any of the other thing you said, im saying that is the part that most people take to mean Libertarians are not republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,291,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
There seems to be some confusion about this on this board.

Libertarian is VERY different from Liberal. About the only thing they share is lower defense spending and being socially liberal.

Libertarian does NOT equal Tea Party. The TP is just a wing of the GOP that shares some Libertarian views. They are libertarian LEANING. Not Libertarian.

The Tea Party is to Republicans what the Blue Dog Coalition is to Democrats.

A c/p from another thread,

Libertarians have their own party.

Libertarian Party | Maximum Freedom, Minimum Government
Libertarianism is a sham political ideology that has never been tried.

What is going on is that many conservatives fearing the social changes in this nation are now saying, I don't care about gay marriage or abortions or drug legalization, etc. I just want low taxes, a no regulations in most areas of American life(example libertarians are against having meat inspectors), blah, blah, blah.

Freedom is what they are yelling, but Libertarians much like conservatives don't believe in representative government.

They hate this form of government where people who they don't think should matter get a say in how the nation is run.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,470,282 times
The difference is that liberals right on:
  • Civil liberties
  • Foreign policy
  • Economics

Libertarians are right on:
  • Civil liberties
  • Foreign policy

Teabaggers
  • F'n crazy.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 AM

688 posts, read 651,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Being one myself, I do take you city dwellers into account. Removing guns from law abiding citizens isn't going to make us/you any safer. Limiting the amount of bullets each weapon can carry is second grade logic (a relative IQ of the current political pool). You, I and EVERYONE else knows this is a fact. The only way gun bans will work is if anyone caught with one is executed on the spot... welcome to nazi Germany, the USSR, Red China...etc.

Owning weapons: "a WELL-ARMED militia/citizenry" is a right, and written into the Constitution as a right, for the very purpose of self-defense from enemies outside and from within <<<your 14-year-old thug with a gun qualifies.

The fact that you think the kid has "assault guns" shows you know absolutely nothing about guns.
No, it isn't second-grade logic. The guns that gang members prefer are guns that have the ability to fire off large amounts of bullets quickly, and have short barrels. People don't hunt animals with these weapons; people hunt humans with these weapons, whether military or gang members, these aren't self-defense guns or guns used to hunt animals. You've presumed that I want a complete gun ban, but I don't. I just want gun laws the represent the overall well-being of Americans. I know that there are people who will buy these magazines because they just like guns, and I apologize to them, but their hobby isn't worth the death of innocent people.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,857,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
No, it isn't second-grade logic. The guns that gang members prefer are guns that have the ability to fire off large amounts of bullets quickly, and have short barrels. People don't hunt animals with these weapons; people hunt humans with these weapons, whether military or gang members, these aren't self-defense guns or guns used to hunt animals. You've presumed that I want a complete gun ban, but I don't. I just want gun laws the represent the overall well-being of Americans. I know that there are people who will buy these magazines because they just like guns, and I apologize to them, but their hobby isn't worth the death of innocent people.
You don't know what you're talking about.

The VAST majority of crime is committed with handguns. And the average number of rounds fired in a gun crime is somewhere around 3.

So your ideas are pointless and will do little to no good. Then you'll be back wanting more in the name of "the overall well-being of Americans".

Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You don't know what you're talking about.

The VAST majority of crime is committed with handguns. And the average number of rounds fired in a gun crime is somewhere around 3.

So your ideas are pointless and will do little to no good. Then you'll be back wanting more in the name of "the overall well-being of Americans".
I've never said that the majority of crime isn't committed with handguns. Does that mean that I shouldn't address smaller gun issues, albeit real issues? I'm not wrong, you're thoughts are too simple.

*And, I can read. You don't need to capitalize words.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I've never said that the majority of crime isn't committed with handguns. Does that mean that I shouldn't address smaller gun issues, albeit real issues? I'm not wrong, you're thoughts are too simple.
So rather than address things like background checks, straw purchases, mental health issues, etc, you'd rather focus on something that is documented to be statistically insignificant?

Fine by me, just don't claim it's about stopping violence, because it's obviously not. It's about guns.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
So rather than address things like background checks, straw purchases, mental health issues, etc, you'd rather focus on something that is documented to be statistically insignificant?

Fine by me, just don't claim it's about stopping violence, because it's obviously not. It's about guns.
You're wrong again.

I want all of those things, on top of bans on high capacity clips. See, people like me think about all of these things...

Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
You're wrong again.

I want all of those things, on top of bans on high capacity clips. See, people like me think about all of these things...
Interesting. First I've heard of it.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:44 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,458,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
The difference is that liberals right on:
  • Civil liberties
  • Foreign policy
  • Economics

Libertarians are right on:
  • Civil liberties
  • Foreign policy

Teabaggers
  • F'n crazy.
Given that libertarians and liberals do not agree on civil liberties, how can you say they are both right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies