Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Liberals on this site have been posting chart after graph after report about this. This is the capitalism that CONSERVATIVES have been clamoring for. Every measure that Liberals have advocated for fixing this gets rejected by Conservatives.

Conservatives need to stop lying and just admit it: our economic picture is fine in their books.
Capitalism is the private ownership of business and the means of production.

That's it. There's nothing saying business owners MUST hire Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:47 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Capitalism is the private ownership of business and the means of production.

That's it. There's nothing saying business owners MUST hire Americans.
That's fine if that's what you believe. The problem comes when other Conservatives who believe the same thing also complain about the natural end result of that belief.

It's like saying you love wearing shorts in the rain, and then complaining that you have wet draws.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Saw this fluff propaganda piece tonight on ABC World News with Diane Sawyer and was surprised that even in the in the midst of their "Pravada" level journalistic piece they admitted that there are LESS jobs today than 2007! I'm skeptical of their 12 million number too. That's probably the amount of people actually collecting checks. Anyway here it is:

Dow Jones Industrial Average Has Record Close - ABC News

What's scary for the average citizen is that according to the establishment this economy has recovered and is humming along but with that average income dropped to a low not seen since 1993 levels and it's not translating to more jobs as more automation and outsourcing take place.

I guess the moral of the story is get into the top 10-20% of earners and wealth holders in this country or forever hold your piece. Or in other words if you're in the lower 80%, "You be f*****d!"

1. The rise in the markets is due to the fed pumping money

2. The average income of US citizens is less now than 2008

3. The average savings of US citizens is less than 2008

4. There is more personal debt than 2008

5. We have a consumer driven economy

When things don't add up, they usually don't. How many times have I heard, "this is different"! I avoided the crashes in '87, 2000, and 2008. I sold out of this market at 10,500 Dow. Did I miss some profit? Of course! I have accumulated wealth by avoiding losses.

This market, as it is mostly fed driven, will eventually crash and there will be tears again. When will that happen? I don't know, as my crystal ball is in the repair shop. However, one must lock in profits simply move to other investments when a good profit has been achieved. That "number" will be different for everyone.

Interestingly, I tinker with my investments. I leave all my kid's investments alone and buy them only stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. They have had several stocks, by holding, become essentialy worthless (Lucent, Pacific Gas and Electric, Circuit City). They have had several stocks that have gone up several hundred fold (Apple, Best Buy, Cisco). Because of holding onto "home runs", they have done better with stocks than I have. However, I have far eclipsed "thier" investments by using other vehicles, such as realestate. I have given them the option to manage thier own portfolios now. They have all declined, as they are busy with college and to them that money is almost "imaginary", as they did not earn it, have not spent it, and have not mentally "bought" something with it. It might as well be Monopoly money to them. The amount that each has is far more than the investment portfolios of most adults who have worked a long period of time.

Take home message-

1. No man can predict the future
2. sell when you feel good about your investments (I usually sold when I felt compelled to check the value of my portfolio several times a week). This saved me from three crashes, as stupid as it sounds.
3. Don't watch or read "fiancial news", with the exception of the WSJ. The rest are entertainment.
4. the herd is usually wrong, but they are "right" short term
5. markets are driven by forces that go beyond the capacity of the individual to fully understand and be "nimble" enough to "beat the market".
6. We forget about what we have to pay in taxes when calculating "gains"
7. You can only deduct $3,000 per year from investment losses (I have had to do that a few times)
8. Everyone gets thier ass kicked every once in a while, which reminds us that we are not as smart as we think.
9. Most stocks, if held long enough, will become worthless over the long run.

Any "stock market gurus" I have ever run across are usually lying when thier record is closely analyzed.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Saw this fluff propaganda piece tonight on ABC World News with Diane Sawyer and was surprised that even in the in the midst of their "Pravada" level journalistic piece they admitted that there are LESS jobs today than 2007! I'm skeptical of their 12 million number too. That's probably the amount of people actually collecting checks. Anyway here it is:

Dow Jones Industrial Average Has Record Close - ABC News

What's scary for the average citizen is that according to the establishment this economy has recovered and is humming along but with that average income dropped to a low not seen since 1993 levels and it's not translating to more jobs as more automation and outsourcing take place.

I guess the moral of the story is get into the top 10-20% of earners and wealth holders in this country or forever hold your piece. Or in other words if you're in the lower 80%, "You be f*****d!"
Lot of envy there.....yes, do what you can to make your way to the top 20%. Don't expect the government to force everyone to top 20%, because if you think about it, it would not be called top 20% if everyone was in it.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. The rise in the markets is due to the fed pumping money

2. The average income of US citizens is less now than 2008

3. The average savings of US citizens is less than 2008

4. There is more personal debt than 2008

5. We have a consumer driven economy
Check your facts. In the last decade US personal savings rate was at 73 year low 1%, but by end of last year it was 6%. Personal debt is down by about 30%. Where are you getting your stats?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Check your facts. In the last decade US personal savings rate was at 73 year low 1%, but by end of last year it was 6%. Personal debt is down by about 30%. Where are you getting your stats?
But it's back down now..2.4% for Jan 2013.

Personal Saving Rate (PSAVERT) - FRED - St. Louis Fed

Old 03-06-2013, 09:19 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

I suggest that you check your facts.

Net worth-

Another Record… US Household Net Worth Reaches 43 Year Low Under Obama | The Gateway Pundit

Personal incomes

http://news.investors.com/092512-626...ent-obama.aspx

Personal debt

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/us-d...50-under-obama

Gee......... those facts show something entirely different than what you are saying. Imagine that. Facts are pesky little things that tend to annoy most liberals, as they are wed to rosy propaganda, rather than reality. Reality can be so harsh sometimes- it's just not "fair".

Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But it's back down now..2.4% for Jan 2013.

Personal Saving Rate (PSAVERT) - FRED - St. Louis Fed
Even if that is true, it is still two and a half times higher than before. Is that really such a bad thing?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I still see stores and industry, both big and small, close their doors all the time. No, things have NOT gotten better.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I suggest that you check your facts.

Gee......... those facts show something entirely different than what you are saying. Imagine that. Facts are pesky little things that tend to annoy most liberals, as they are wed to rosy propaganda, rather than reality. Reality can be so harsh sometimes- it's just not "fair".
Study, and learn the difference between "personal debt" and "US National Debt". Your "portion" of US National Debt is NOT considered "personal debt". As a matter of fact the "portion" is a meaningless figure. Like I said, personal debt is DOWN and savings rates are UP, and not just a little, but by A LOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies