U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 13,589,390 times
Reputation: 7921

Advertisements

TSA to Allow Small Knives on Planes - WSJ.com

The TSA will now allow small pocket knives, but they can't have a "molded handle." I've been a knife afficianado since I was 10 years old, and I don't quite know what that is. Any handle is molded, i.e. shaped, isn't it? That's what the essence of a handle is, whether it's a door handle, knife handle, or broom handle.

It doesn't really matter since they will not allow pocket knives with locking blades. I wouldn't have a knife without a locking blade any more than a car without a seat belt. A non-locking blade could unexpectedly close on your finger and take it off.

We're being governed by utter morons.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Status: "MAGA" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: New Jersey
10,482 posts, read 5,993,355 times
Reputation: 10297
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

We're being governed by utter morons.
I agree.


3-25-2010_Hank_Johnson_Guam_Tip_Over.wmv - YouTube
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Billings, MT
9,003 posts, read 7,090,463 times
Reputation: 12455
I have been on a commercial flight once in the last 20 years. I took all my pocket stuff (pen knife, nail clipper, 4" adjustable wrench) and my belt stuff (Leatherman Wave), and my toiletries (soap, denture stuff, etc.) and shipped them to my destination via UPS, along with the bulk of my clothes. The only things I had to worry about at the security check point was my glasses, my watch, and my belt buckle.
Oh, yeah, and my boots.
With any kind of luck, that will have been the last flight of my life.
I simply don't care what the TSA will or will not allow on an airplane!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM
 
23,920 posts, read 17,594,319 times
Reputation: 12800
i've lost at least 5 knives to the TSA since 2001- 4 of which i tossed to random people outside the line, rather than see perfectly good knives melted down.

molded handle exclusion=chock fulla derp.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM
 
5,280 posts, read 3,344,297 times
Reputation: 2264
I know my rights were certainly taken from me when I couldn't carry a knife onto an airplane. What an imposition! Outrageous!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Status: "DON'T VOTE" (set 2 days ago)
 
26,739 posts, read 14,974,142 times
Reputation: 12559
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I know my rights were certainly taken from me when I couldn't carry a knife onto an airplane. What an imposition! Outrageous!!!
Pocket knives were allowed for decades prior to 9/11 without incident.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 02:07 PM
 
249 posts, read 401,115 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Pocket knives were allowed for decades prior to 9/11 without incident.
One time back in the late 1980s I got flagged by a carryon checker in Stockholm for a Swiss Army knife I had in my backpack.

My response? "What am I gonna do with that? Hijack the plane?!"

Their response? A chuckle, then she put it back in my pack and sent me thru.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 22,636,655 times
Reputation: 10524
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i've lost at least 5 knives to the TSA since 2001- 4 of which i tossed to random people outside the line, rather than see perfectly good knives melted down.
In Texas they have a little shop near the airport where they sell all the stuff they confiscate that's not actually illegal contraband. Good knives, cheap; scissors; all kindsa stuff.

One of the big sellers at Austin are snow globes... the kind with the melted snowman, or the ones with the bats instead of snow. They make good gifts, but pack them well when you ship them.

I don't mind the ban... since 9/11 I think we all know it doesn't take a very big knife to pose a threat. I'm actually surprised they've loosened the rule.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Status: "DON'T VOTE" (set 2 days ago)
 
26,739 posts, read 14,974,142 times
Reputation: 12559
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
In Texas they have a little shop near the airport where they sell all the stuff they confiscate that's not actually illegal contraband. Good knives, cheap; scissors; all kindsa stuff.

One of the big sellers at Austin are snow globes... the kind with the melted snowman, or the ones with the bats instead of snow. They make good gifts, but pack them well when you ship them.

I don't mind the ban... since 9/11 I think we all know it doesn't take a very big knife to pose a threat. I'm actually surprised they've loosened the rule.
I think a more accurate way to state it would be "they fence all the stuff they steal"
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 22,636,655 times
Reputation: 10524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
One time back in the late 1980s I got flagged by a carryon checker in Stockholm for a Swiss Army knife I had in my backpack.

My response? "What am I gonna do with that? Hijack the plane?!"

Their response? A chuckle, then she put it back in my pack and sent me thru.
That was my response to a carryon checker in Newark stopping me from carrying yellow plastic tent stakes with a small popup tent in my carryon in July, 2001, as I rushed for the plane. "What am I gonna do with those? Hijack the plane?!" She was not laughing as she turned me away, saying, "They could be a weapon." I was not laughing as I missed my flight, having to rebook, check baggage, find someone to pick me up at the destination since I had missed the main group, locate the OTHER baggage once I arrived, miss the welcoming dinner. etc., etc., etc.

Four months later, on 9/11, I finally got her point.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top