Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Are you talking about the Secret Service?
The Secret Service provides security at the White House.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,256 times
It is OUR White House, the people's house!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Clearly a petty, childish move intended to scare people. See what happens when even a dime of federal spending is cut? What a load of crap. We don't need temper tantrums in the White House.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You can no longer visit the white house. The claim is the tours have been shut down due to sequestor. I thought the tours were run by volunteers?

then again, if you have $500,000 you can visit the white house quarterly meetings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Do you think that the people who provided security for the White House during those tours were volunteers?
Not to mention that the White House would have to have staff dedicated to screening, training, scheduling and managing those volunteers, on top of the additional security required to run public tours. No organization, unless it's a tiny nonprofit, leaves those duties to volunteers. So the tea party wants to cut the budget to the bone (I seem to recall past conversations regarding eliminating whole federal agencies here) but they're upset that the government shut down minor tourism at the white house in response to budget cutbacks? Sorry if I'm laughing...

Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They're not an essential government service, are they?
[MOD CUT/off topic].
We cut 85 billion from a 3.6 trillion dollar budget and Obama shutdowns tours of the whitehouse . Can't get much lower life than that

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-07-2013 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Not to mention that the White House would have to have staff dedicated to screening, training, scheduling and managing those volunteers. So the tea party wants to cut the budget to the bone (I seem to recall past conversations regarding eliminating whole federal agencies here) but they're upset that the government shut down minor tourism in response to budget cutbacks? Sorry if I'm laughing...
The sequester is not a 95% cut to the budget.

This whole sequester mess shows that government does not want to cut anything.

We spend $25 billion per year to maintain empty Fed buildings.
We spend billions in foreign aid efforts like restoring mosques, teaching people how to wash their genitals, pay for college education in Indonesia, etc.

None of that could be cut ?
The only things to be cut are services in the US that directly affect Americans ?
Just shows that they are going out of their way to target services that have the most impact to outrage Americans.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Not to mention that the White House would have to have staff dedicated to screening, training, scheduling and managing those volunteers, on top of the additional security required to run public tours. So the tea party wants to cut the budget to the bone (I seem to recall past conversations regarding eliminating whole federal agencies here) but they're upset that the government shut down minor tourism at the white house in response to budget cutbacks? Sorry if I'm laughing...
So cutting 85 billion from a 3.6 trillion dollar budget is the lefts idea of cutting to the bone....pathetic

Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The sequester is not a 95% cut to the budget.

This whole sequester mess shows that government does not want to cut anything.

We spend $25 billion per year to maintain empty Fed buildings.
We spend billions in foreign aid efforts like restoring mosques, teaching people how to wash their genitals, pay for college education in Indonesia, etc.

None of that could be cut ?
The only things to be cut are services in the US that directly affect Americans ?
Just shows that they are going out of their way to target services that have the most impact to outrage Americans.
I think tourism ABSOLUTELY is an area to cut--it doesn't impact the necessities of daily life in any way. It's a whole lot better than cutting IRS agents or the people who process social security checks or make sure our food is safe. You guys scream and yell about wanting real cuts in government spending, but when it starts to happen, you don't like it. Give me a break.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Not to mention that the White House would have to have staff dedicated to screening, training, scheduling and managing those volunteers, on top of the additional security required to run public tours. So the tea party wants to cut the budget to the bone (I seem to recall past conversations regarding eliminating whole federal agencies here) but they're upset that the government shut down minor tourism at the white house in response to budget cutbacks? Sorry if I'm laughing...
Laugh all you want. You don't get it. No problem with them shutting down the tours. I couldn't care less about the tours themselves. It's the obvious childish tantrum being thrown. Making the highest profile cut in a very public way in an attempt to make those in favor of cutting government spending look bad. It is so flimsy and transparent that I can't believe anyone would even try to defend it. We are being governed by snot nosed toddlers on both sides of the aisle. Sorry if I'm puking.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I think tourism ABSOLUTELY is an area to cut--it doesn't impact the necessities of daily life in any way. It's a whole lot better than cutting IRS agents or the people who process social security checks or make sure our food is safe. You guys scream and yell about wanting real cuts in government spending, but when it starts to happen, you don't like it. Give me a break.
Oh I want the cuts alright and I'm not complaining.
It's just that there are so many other non-essential services, including foreign aid, that would give a bigger bang for the buck if cut.

$25 billion per year to keep empty buildings in shape is one such example.
And they have been empty for years.

I look forward to April 1 when the sequester cuts actually go into effect.
The money is not gone today as many think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies