Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,114,839 times

Advertisements

I am not saying that the quality of life in the US is bad or even worse. I am just saying it is also fine here in europe. I do not feel any less free to live my life here, in someways things are more regulated but in others I feel more free to be myself.

If I were to become disabled or long tearm unemployed or retire with out any savings I would choose to live here.

oh and 30 days vacaton, unlimited paid sick days, christmas money, vacation money....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 AM

19,478 posts, read 12,109,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I am not saying that the quality of life in the US is bad or even worse. I am just saying it is also fine here in europe. I do not feel any less free to live my life here, in someways things are more regulated but in others I feel more free to be myself.

If I were to become disabled or long tearm unemployed or retire with out any savings I would choose to live here.

oh and 30 days vacaton, unlimited paid sick days, christmas money, vacation money....
Certainly, Europe can be a good fit for a lot of people. The US works better for others. I would rather have fewer taxes and regulations, although US is getting more like Europe we still have a way to go.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,683,019 times
Quote:
My personal quality of life is much better here then it was in the US.
Not that it was so bad in the US.

It seems Americans define quality of life by how big of a car and house you have.

I am a single dad, I have a secure job, health insurance, a small apartment, a small car, A celler room full of windsurfing and rockclimbing stuff, a small racing sailboat, a mountainbike, a road bike and 30 vacation days a year. Maybe will pick up Motorcycle. I do not need to worry about my daughter not being able to afford to study, college is close to free.
I live in a nice small town quite near several citys, forests mountains and lakes within a reasonable drive...
Millions of Americans have everything you listed with the possible exception of 30 days vacation. And millions of us DON'T define quality of life by how big a car and house we have.

But all other things being equal, I'll take a nice big house and car over a small flat and bus any day.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,683,019 times
Quote:
I pay more taxes then in the US but so what. I
Paying taxes is the antithesis of freedom. Higher taxes means more government control with bureaucrats making decisions for you. We have way too much of that here in the USA.

More taxes? No thanks.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,715,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
So, why don't you Mrs. Runninmouth?
Since you right wingers seem to have SUCH difficulty googling anything that might prove your propaganda wrong, I got online and within 5 minutes I'd found this. I ABHOR posting links, but I wanted to help you right wingers out some, since you seem so f'g intent on wanting to continue to push the falsehood that the U.S. is doing soooo f'g well compared with other equally industrialized, "high-income" nations. Here, enjoy what you right wingers have turned your country into, and you right wingers did it because you believe your ideology does SUCH great things for a country! Yeah!

I could post more, but I'm off to do some things - ciao.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Is America Overworked? (Americans are putting in more hours than anyone in the industrialized world, and not being paid for the overtime)

Americans Work More Than Anyone - ABC News (Americans work more hours than anyone else in the industrialized world)

CNN.com - Study: U.S. workers put in most hours - August 31, 2001 (Americans are putting in more working hours than anyone in the industrialized world)

-------------------------------------------------------

Americans Suffer Worse Health Than Peers in Other Countries: MedlinePlus (Americans have worse healthcare than peers in other countries)

Americans Have Worse Health Than People in Other High-Income Countries; Health Disadvantage Is Pervasive Across Age and Socio-Economic Groups - Institute of Medicine (Americans live shorter lives, and have more disease than peers in other high-income countries)

U.S. health care system: Worst in the world? - The Week (American healthcare highest in cost and worst in care compared with 7 equally high income countries)

Americans Have the Worst Health Care System | Utah Healthcare Initiative (American healthcare lags behind other countries, American life expectancy and health lags behind other countries, and is more expensive)

The Ever-Growing American Commute - CBS News (American commutes are getting longer)

Why is America the 'no-vacation nation'? - CNN.com (Why is America the no-vacation nation?)

Why Don't Americans Have Longer Vacations? - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com (What explains the vacation gap between Europe and the U.S.?)

US retirement trails other nations' - 1 - retiree benefits - MSN Money (When compared with other nations, U.S. comes up short on providing retirement benefits)

Want more retirement security? Move to Slovenia - Life Inc. (The U.S. ranks 19th in retirement security)

Gun violence is a U.S. public health problem – The Pump Handle (Gun violence compared with other nations)

Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Since you right wingers seem to have SUCH difficulty googling anything that might prove your propaganda wrong, I got online and within 5 minutes I'd found this. I ABHOR posting links, but I wanted to help you right wingers out some, since you seem so f'g intent on wanting to continue to push the falsehood that the U.S. is doing soooo f'g well compared with other equally industrialized, "high-income" nations. Here, enjoy what you right wingers have turned your country into, and you right wingers did it because you believe your ideology does SUCH great things for a country! Yeah!

I could post more, but I'm off to do some things - ciao.
Eh, the links are a waste of time. The poster that lives in Germany made good points for why they prefer it there, but they also don't hate the US.

However, some of us would not want to give up certain things we do have in the US that are restricted in Europe, or too expensive there - fuel, land, firearms for example.

The topic was the poor though, and the poor in the US get plenty of benefits. I do not know exactly what benefits the POOR in other countries get compared to US because I don't live in those countries and don't trust biased articles on the internet. I do know many poor in the US are doing just fine off the backs of the middle class and even the working class.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,715,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Eh, the links are a waste of time. The poster that lives in Germany made good points for why they prefer it there, but they also don't hate the US.

However, some of us would not want to give up certain things we do have in the US that are restricted in Europe, or too expensive there - fuel, land, firearms for example.

The topic was the poor though, and the poor in the US get plenty of benefits. I do not know exactly what benefits the POOR in other countries get compared to US because I don't live in those countries and don't trust biased articles on the internet. I do know many poor in the US are doing just fine off the backs of the middle class and even the working class.
The links are showing that your right wing propaganda about how this is the best of all possible countries, is BS. You doubted it, now they're there.

The poor are the victims in this country, but you just continue on chest-banging about how there's no corruption by the rich and powerful in this country. It's only believed by those who have no knowledge, no education, and applauded by those for whom the rich and powerful are their allies. (For what reason, one can only guess).

Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 AM

8,593 posts, read 9,089,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Paying taxes is the antithesis of freedom. Higher taxes means more government control with bureaucrats making decisions for you. We have way too much of that here in the USA.

More taxes? No thanks.
I would have agreed 100% ten years ago. The one main reason the government is moving to fill a void is because the private sector simply has become very greedy in handling the delivery of social services, in which the fed pays billions of tax payer money for these services. Not to mention the military industrial complex which has received billions if not trillions of tax payer money, most going to the private sector. Trillions to Wall Street. Large private corporations stumbling over each other moving jobs to 3rd world and communist counties by the millions. I will agree it seems at times both federal government and the private sector are not looking after the people but themselves at the expense of everyone else. Simply greed, which might be a domino effect, and power.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,377,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

I'm still trying to figure out what benefits childless minimum wage workers here get.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what benefits childless minimum wage workers here get.
A big fat nothing, but you see, single people without kids are not looked upon as poor unless they are in college. They are left out of the system with no apologies. I assume single, childless poor people get the same basic benefits as others in European countries, so that actually IS more fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies