Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

The republicans usually always get rural votes which blows my mind when most of red states rural areas especially after the gerrymandering the area are poor.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-26-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The republicans usually always get tural votes which blows my mind when most of red states rural areas especially after the gerrymandering the area are poor.
I love that quote. Thank you.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You didn't disappoint me. Libertarians are also right wingers. I'm used to Libertarians also throwing up the same smokescreen of "big government is the root of all evil."
It's not a smokescreen. It's fact.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's not a smokescreen. It's fact.
It's a smokescreen meant to distract others from noticing what right wingers are actually doing to harm this country.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM

30 posts, read 69,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Must be the same person that my mechanic's mother-in-law's second cousin's hairdresser's cleaning lady's son spoke about.

Small world, huh?
Or maybe his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roomate?

Spaceballs - "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate." - YouTube

Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
The republicans usually always get rural votes which blows my mind when most of red states rural areas especially after the gerrymandering the area are poor.
...most red states are not dirt poor. More blue states top the charts in terms of revolving debt balances than red states. Making $300k per year doesn't make you wealthy if you have $1M in debt.

Take another look at the numbers looking at average personal debt/income ratios for states and you might be in for a surprise.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Silly post. If you understood politics you would know that both parties gerrymander and always have.

Rural areas in ALL states are generally poor.

Post fail.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
It's a smokescreen meant to distract others from noticing what right wingers are actually doing to harm this country.
Harm?

Exactly what "harm" are "right wingers" causing?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Let me put it to ya this way - if right wingnuts were allowed to compare this country with Somalia and the Congo, they'd be happy as clams. The one thing they do NOT want to do is compare this country to good countries. Problem is, I won't let them do this.

If they had to compare this country to Norway, Denmark, Sweden, France, Italy, Australia, and many more countries which are pretty well-to-do and where the quality of life is very high, they'd melt like the Wicked Witch of the West.

It's just so much easier to compare the U.S. with the most suffering countries on the planet. That way everything here looks simply fabulous!!!! lol
Let me put it this way----

Stop comparing. There's a reality here about the poor in America, that has nothing to do with any other country but ours.

We have been for many decades the best kept secret concerning our poverty. We don't want to admit the truth. Probably because that means some one needs to do something about it and no one wants to do a darn thing, but get on their soap box about entitlement programs and tell others how rich our poor people are. Get enough people to believe it and those that are living in poverty on our streets, get quickly swept under the rug as if they don't exist.

A person doesn't need to visit another country to see poor and think about how bad that is. Get a refund on that plane ticket and visit the slums in your local area. There are folks doing what they have to do to survive, in every neighborhood of America from the sea to shinning sea.

Okay, a little bit of area history about me:

I use to work at the Mesquite Championship Rodeo, Mesquite Texas. Several of my co-workers use to gather the left over hot dogs and hamburgers from the stands at the end of the evening. Rather than throw food out, they gathered it up in boxes, loaded those items into their cars and they knew where to go, to feed the homeless.

People of America need to stop being politics first and start being human for a change. Doing that, eyes will began to open to allot of things that are just not right, here in America.

Do you know how hard it is to get some one who needs help, to sign up for a food stamp card? There's this little thing called Pride, that get's in the way...every time. They don't want to be rated, ridiculed, and sneered at, so what do they do, they starve right up under the noses of those whose noses are raised.

There's reality and then there's the lie. Folks would rather believe the lie, than to take a cold hard look at the reality of America being equal to that of a third world country. OMG---and some people think this is a competition and are rating an a comparison level to that of other countries.

~shake my head~ at the absurdity of it all.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Let me put it this way----

Stop comparing. There's a reality here about the poor in America, that has nothing to do with any other country but ours.

We have been for many decades the best kept secret concerning our poverty. We don't want to admit the truth. Probably because that means some one needs to do something about it and no one wants to do a darn thing, but get on their soap box about entitlement programs and tell others how rich our poor people are. Get enough people to believe it and those that are living in poverty on our streets, get quickly swept under the rug as if they don't exist.

A person doesn't need to visit another country to see poor and think about how bad that is. Get a refund on that plane ticket and visit the slums in your local area. There are folks doing what they have to do to survive, in every neighborhood of America from the sea to shinning sea.

Okay, a little bit of area history about me:

I use to work at the Mesquite Championship Rodeo, Mesquite Texas. Several of my co-workers use to gather the left over hot dogs and hamburgers from the stands at the end of the evening. Rather than throw food out, they gathered it up in boxes, loaded those items into their cars and they knew where to go, to feed the homeless.

People of America need to stop being politics first and start being human for a change. Doing that, eyes will began to open to allot of things that are just not right, here in America.

Do you know how hard it is to get some one who needs help, to sign up for a food stamp card? There's this little thing called Pride, that get's in the way...every time. They don't want to be rated, ridiculed, and sneered at, so what do they do, they starve right up under the noses of those whose noses are raised.

There's reality and then there's the lie. Folks would rather believe the lie, than to take a cold hard look at the reality of America being equal to that of a third world country. OMG---and some people think this is a competition and are rating an a comparison level to that of other countries.

~shake my head~ at the absurdity of it all.
I agree with so much of what you said.

I agree also with the need to stop comparing, however, the problem is that right wingers have it in their heads that THEIR ideas are America's ideas (and they're not), that their ways are America's ways (and they're not), that their lack of a conscience is the correct way (and it isn't), that the poor here are doing fabulously well (and they're not), and right wingers end up comparing the poor here with the poor of starving nations, such as Somalia, rather than the poor in, say, Norway which is a technologically and industrially advanced like ours.

Faced with all that BS, you bet I'm going to compare eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies