Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Americans should travel to countries like India, China, Morocco, Mexico, Argentine and South Africa to see what real poverty looks like. I guess being poor isn't what it used to be back in the "good old days".

● Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
● Fully 92 percent of poor households have a microwave; two-thirds have at least one DVD player and 70 percent have a VCR.
● Nearly 75 percent have a car or truck; 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks.
● Four out of five poor adults assert they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money for food.
● Nearly two-thirds have cable or satellite television.
● Half have a personal computer; one in seven have two or more computers.
● More than half of poor families with children have a video game system such as Xbox or PlayStation.
● Just under half — 43 percent — have Internet access.
● A third have a widescreen plasma or LCD TV.
● One in every four has a digital video recorder such as TiVo.
● At a single point in time, only one in 70 poor persons is homeless.
● The vast majority of the houses or apartments of the poor are in good repair; only 6 percent are over-crowded.
● The average poor American has more living space than the average non-poor individual living in Sweden, France, Germany or the United Kingdom.
● Only 10 percent of the poor live in mobile homes or trailers; half live in detached single-family houses or townhouses, while 40 percent live in apartments.
● Forty-two percent of all poor households own their home; on average, it’s a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

Strange Facts about America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Seriously, the poor in the richest nation in the world aren't really poor because they aren't left to die on the street and have refrigerators. I sure do wish that I was poor so that I could live so lavishly!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Welfare checks and sec 8 housing has become a way of life that has been handed down from generation to generation and completely accepted as just and right by an entire class of people. My black friend at work told me his mother in law has lived in sec 8 housing her entire life. She goes on vac every year and has no less than 7 flat panel tv's in her house.

Good luck tearing that system down without civil war but I believe it has to be done.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Welfare checks and sec 8 housing has become a way of life that has been handed down from generation to generation and completely accepted as just and right by an entire class of people. My black friend at work told me his mother in law has lived in sec 8 housing her entire life. She goes on vac every year and has no less than 7 flat panel tv's in her house.

Good luck tearing that system down without civil war but I believe it has to be done.
Now why would a person need 7 flat panels anyways?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

And here we go!

You do realize that Section 8 vouchers aren't just given out to anyone just because they feel like buying flat panel TVs instead of paying rent? Chances are that your fictionalized friend's mothers has an income that is 30% or less of the area median, which around these parts that is around $15,000 per household. If your "black friend's" mother is going on vacation, it's on someone else's dime because she's not going to have gas money to get her across the state line with that kind of income. However, she could probably buy around 20 LED televisions and have enough money left to buy a refrigerator. What a lucky ducky she is!

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 03-06-2013 at 07:03 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Maybe we don't allow our poor to live in cardboard boxes, die of cholera, typhoid and starvation because we are not a third-world country.

I tell you what, if being poor in this country is such a tasty deal, quit your job, abandon your house, and live in a section 8 complex with all the perks. Buy that 60 inch flat screen tv with your welfare check, along with that expensive DVR and VHS player, and that gold plated microwave. Then go to hawaii on a vacation on the taxpayers dime.

Don't forget your smart phone, and get your Mercedes waxed before you go and buy designer clothes and $500.00 kicks for your kids. And have your wife get that boob job she wanted.

Don't forget your food stamps to buy lobster and steak and wine while all the poor working folks live on hamburger and rice.

Then get a life.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Maybe we don't allow our poor to live in cardboard boxes, die of cholera, typhoid and starvation because we are not a third-world country.

I tell you what, quit your job, abandon your house, and live in a section 8 complex with all the perks.

Then get food stamps and buy lobster and steak and wine while all the poor working folks live on hamburger and rice.

Then get a life.
Exactly, this is such an idiotic way of thinking. Poor are better off here than a third world country because of our safety nets so we don't have these extremely bad poverty stricken ghettos in our country.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:55 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
You forgot to include ObamaPhones! How many in third world countries guaranteed communications access to the rest of the world?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:55 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Our poor people are better off then people in other countries because we hold ourselves and our country to higher standards.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Our poor people are better off then people in other countries because we hold ourselves and our country to higher standards.
What a crock this is. And how insulting to people from other countries. Americans are, indeed, very naive. Sad really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies