U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM

1,168 posts, read 456,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I was born and raised in Philly...I know every nook, cranny and crack spot there...I don't care what a leftists says...the black community there is it's own worst enemy.
I can somewhat agree with that. But the good thing is the center city district has been on an upswing for years now, and the ghetto is being pushed far away from it. The next phase is going to be the development of N. Broad Street all the way up to Temple Univ., and Temple is slowly buying up all the hoods around the campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,728,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I can somewhat agree with that. But the good thing is the center city district has been on an upswing for years now, and the ghetto is being pushed far away from it. The next phase is going to be the development of N. Broad Street all the way up to Temple Univ., and Temple is slowly buying up all the hoods around the campus.
Yeah Center City has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years. I still marvel at the differences compared to what it was like in the 80's and even the 90's whenever I return to visit my parents.

But I don't see N. Broad ever really going too far--, largely because it is just too large of an area to gentrify and mainly because of the tax rates in Philly to my understanding make it an unattractive venue for commercial development.

Temple has made leaps and bounds into the area for atleast 2 decades now, but I think they've peaked. It seems like the real estate that they've taken over is all on Broad St itself, which makes it largely appear as something cosmetic. But once you dip behind broad St it becomes a completely different world--sort of like Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome. The poverty and ignorance embetted there is simply too deep and unforgiving. Just today before I returned to NY, I was there to see family, and Germantown Ave off the expressway is completely deplorable. I swear there are 3rd world countries out there with more bragging rights than the black parts of Philly.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 PM

26,711 posts, read 21,871,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Left Wing paper writes story about being White in Philly. Predictable bedlam ensues.

Being White in Philly | Philadelphia magazine

I've always said immigrants have a far dimmer view of the pathologies of inner city African Americans than White Americans and have no problem vocalizing it.

When you tolerate nonsense you get nonsense.
Said persons also don't understand how this nation has worked, or the history of this nation. And something else you need to ask yourself. The decent Black people, hardworking Black people, alot of them have left Black neighborhoods over the years, and for this reason,that woman from Russia has only seen the worst. She talks about the Black people who were smoking pot on the porch. The majority of Blacks don't do that. And the Blacks that don't participate in such activities, most try not to live in such neighborhoods.

Another reason I look at her statement with skepticism is because many people have tried to downplay racism and discrimination. It is true that many things can't be traced to discrimination, but discounting job discrimination is disingenuous.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 PM

1,395 posts, read 523,663 times
Only govt does job discrimination. Like Malcolm x said, if you depend on the white man for a job then You're in a world of trouble.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 PM

1,395 posts, read 523,663 times
The northern unions pushed the black male out of the job market, causing trouble for the black family. The govt response was welfare for single moms. Toss in a growing drug market, and an increasingly irresponsible pub. Ed. System and u have today's nightmare.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM

630 posts, read 403,457 times
Don't worry about it. They're cool.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:50 PM

7,776 posts, read 2,168,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
She comes to the US from a racist country, lives here two bleeping years and her opinion on black people means something? I don't think so.
Even if her opinion is correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Only govt does job discrimination. Like Malcolm x said, if you depend on the white man for a job then You're in a world of trouble.
If skin color is a thing used do determine such dependence, then if you depend on a black, brown, yellow, or blue skinned person for a job, you're screwed.

After all, one should be self sufficient, depending only on yourself. If you are a failure, then the only one that screwed you, is you.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM

116 posts, read 37,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Does anybody really want to live in the ghetto inner city no matter what color they are?
Black people have their faults, but I would quicker live around them than non-blacks. Non blacks are deceiving.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 PM

116 posts, read 37,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
..and that's the long and short end of the problem. Going along to get along isn't going to cut it. Integration made us more dependent on govt than ever before

Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM

7,776 posts, read 2,168,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lybricks View Post
Black people have their faults, but I would quicker live around them than non-blacks. Non blacks are deceiving.
Okay... how can anyone, on any side, take that statement as anything but racism? Skin color does not determine the levels of deception. Everyone has their faults, and everyone deceives to one level or another.

YOU are part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies