Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 05:42 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,574,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A soldier can be brought up on murder charges. They can not kill simply because they decide someone should be dead and do have to explain their actions when those actions are questioned.

Soldier charged with 17 murder counts in Afghan rampage, may face death

Soldier charged with 17 murder counts in Afghan rampage, may face death - CNN.com

CIA are not military. They are covert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:01 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,577,065 times
Earned him good points.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/08/opinio...aul/?c=&page=1

Rand Paul 2016

Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,143,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
CIA are not military. They are covert.
Do you have any examples of CIA agents targeting and killing American citizens? I would be interested in them.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:15 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,106,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks for proving my point.

He begins by stating if GOAL: I rise today to begin to filibuster John Brennan's nomination for the CIA

The "killed by drone" is when he loses me, because it should not matter if killed by a drone, or by a sniper. Why is the "by drone" important? I keep asking, but so far no answers.
So your understanding is that drones are no different than Obama saying I have the authority to send in a SEAL team to kill any American I decide is a threat w/o presenting evidence to a court before or explaining afterwards why I put that American on a kill list to begin with. And that both scenarios are okay?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
A soldier can be brought up on murder charges. They can not kill simply because they decide someone should be dead and do have to explain their actions when those actions are questioned.

Soldier charged with 17 murder counts in Afghan rampage, may face death

Soldier charged with 17 murder counts in Afghan rampage, may face death - CNN.com
How many non-combatants have soldiers killed on the battlefield? How many have been arrested? Even if only 1 soldier walked away from killing an bystander w/o being detained, it would prove there are different rules on a battlefield.

Quote:
Do you have any examples of CIA agents targeting and killing American citizens? I would be interested in them.
Probably not, but we have evidence of them targeting and killing enemy combatants, which is what Obama is defending his right to label American citizens as.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
If they are on American soil, then why would that be your only option?

If you know where they are, then bring them in.

And those "extraordinary circumstances" are a slippery slope. After 9/11, we have been engaged in a "War on Terror" that knows no boundaries and no end date. You can use those "war powers" to justify anything.

And, please understand, I do believe Obama is a good person with good intentions. I think he really is trying to do the right thing for the American people. But the precidents that are set now will be almost impossible to unravel down the road.
That's all good, and again, a good reason to reconsider the AUMF, since it's the document that states that the president can use military force against anyone he determines is a member or supporter of Al Qaida. It is not, however, a good reason to grandstand against strawman, as Rand Paul did when he started talking about how Obama wouldn't say that he wouldn't use a drone strike against a person at a car, or walking down the street.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
How many non-combatants have soldiers killed on the battlefield? How many have been arrested? Even if only 1 soldier walked away from killing an bystander w/o being detained, it would prove there are different rules on a battlefield.
No, the argument is that it is easier to get away with it during war time. I am absolutely sure many have been able to do so. I am not sure what that has to do with this conversation.

I'm willing to listen though.

Quote:
Probably not, but we have evidence of them targeting and killing enemy combatants, which is what Obama is defending his right to label American citizens as.
You do not lose your Constitutional rights simply because the president decides to call you a bad name.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
No, the argument is that it is easier to get away with it during war time. I am absolutely sure many have been able to do so. I am not sure what that has to do with this conversation.

I'm willing to listen though.
Nevermind. It's beside the point.

Quote:
You do not lose your Constitutional rights simply because the president decides to call you a bad name.
Unfortunately Holder and Obama are arguing that you can if the President decides to label you so.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Unfortunately Holder and Obama are arguing that you can if the President decides to label you so.
Bush argued it also. But yes, unfortunate.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:12 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,819,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What if we were? You people just want to disarm everyone who is trying to protect you.

Law enforcement does not protect me or anyone else except government officials. Show me a single citizen that has a permanent, tax paid law enforcement officer assigned to protect them.

Your statement is completely inane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies