Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,763,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It may have been a photo op moment, but it was also a dinner when, instead of flinging insults and indulging in overblown rhetoric, the gentlemen actually engaged in conversation. And that's a good thing.
It was a first. Don't plan on seeing it happening again in the next 4 years. I would assume they would be on good behavior seeing as how it was a dinner in public. Interesting how all the facts were made public, right down to what was on the menu and what they ate. It doesn't say anything about the dinner being held in a private dining room, so exactly just how much could they talk about in a public restaurant where they could be overheard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,563,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
It was a first. Don't plan on seeing it happening again in the next 4 years. I would assume they would be on good behavior seeing as how it was a dinner in public. Interesting how all the facts were made public, right down to what was on the menu and what they ate. It doesn't say anything about the dinner being held in a private dining room, so exactly just how much could they talk about in a public restaurant where they could be overheard?
Upscale beer summit.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,769,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I discuss politics when I'm out with friends. I also discuss work. And private family matters. I would imagine that a lot could be discussed over dinner without compromising national security.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I discuss politics when I'm out with friends. I also discuss work. And private family matters. I would imagine that a lot could be discussed over dinner without compromising national security.
Somewhat of an association fallacy.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,017,178 times
I don't much give a hoot about politicians, be they republicans or democrats. From what i read this current issue stems from the republicans thinking they would float something which would never be accepted, and the deomcrats accepted it...and now it is coming back to haunt the repulicans. Bascially the republicans 'won' in the short term back then, and now have a long term mess on their hands, to which the deomcrats have basicalyt turned their backs. I am guessing this is because the fallout will sink the republican ship in the next election. Last night's dinner was just for appearances--on both sides ("aren't we working hard...nights too!")

The KEY issue here is that the folks in Washington are not affected by any of this, and they have no reason to want to resolve it. People in Congress are there for their own self agrondizement and to further line their pcokets, and those of their cronies, at the expense of the taxpayers. Thus far, we have sat by, taken the scraps they have given us, and failed to demand accountability from those who supposedly represent us (ha!).

Some day that will all change. Maybe when the bill comes due. For now we have dinners and photo ops.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I don't much give a hoot about politicians, be they republicans or democrats. From what i read this current issue stems from the republicans thinking they would float something which would never be accepted, and the deomcrats accepted it...and now it is coming back to haunt the repulicans. Bascially the republicans 'won' in the short term back then, and now have a long term mess on their hands, to which the deomcrats have basicalyt turned their backs. I am guessing this is because the fallout will sink the republican ship in the next election. Last night's dinner was just for appearances--on both sides ("aren't we working hard...nights too!")

The KEY issue here is that the folks in Washington are not affected by any of this, and they have no reason to want to resolve it. People in Congress are there for their own self agrondizement and to further line their pcokets, and those of their cronies, at the expense of the taxpayers. Thus far, we have sat by, taken the scraps they have given us, and failed to demand accountability from those who supposedly represent us (ha!).

Some day that will all change. Maybe when the bill comes due. For now we have dinners and photo ops.
Uh... the sequester was Onumbnut's idea. FYI see Woodward.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,365,837 times
Neo-con folks will completely ignore this event and continue with the retarded "Obama is failing to lead" meme.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Somewhat of an association fallacy.
They couldn't discuss the budget and possible solutions without violating national security?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,416,387 times
Quote:
Why? He paid for the dinner. Out of his personal pocket.
Yeah right.....

Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
That is exactly what President Obama is trying to do with gun control. Blacks fought long and hard to gain their freedom and now this administration wants to take part of that freedom away from them.
Dinner conversation usually include casual conversations, not serious discussions on how to ease the debt. Seems like a slap in the face to all of us. They wine and dine, and we try to figure out where to get the money to pay this years taxes.
This wasn't a casual dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies