Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select the single biggest reason why you support the Republican Party
They promote a system based more on free-market principles as opposed to government intrusion 2 5.13%
They are more likely to protect and promote family and/or religious values that I share 6 15.38%
I believe in self-sufficiency and smaller government, and not in a welfare-type state 28 71.79%
I trust the party to protect our country from those who intend to do it harm both at home and abroad 0 0%
Lower taxes is better for the economy and personal economic freedom 1 2.56%
I belive they are more in tune with lifestyle and values of the average citizen and will accordingly 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:52 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times

Advertisements

I understand this may not be a cut and dry answer but what is the strongest reason why one would support the Republican party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I understand this may not be a cut and dry answer but what is the strongest reason why one would support the Republican party?
Because they aint Democrats?

Old 03-07-2013, 02:58 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
identity politics combined with myopia

Old 03-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Default Why do you support the Republican Party?

For better or worse, and more likely worse, we live in polarized times so I am trying to understand what is the driving force between Republicans and Democrats. I know there is no cut and dry answer but I am trying to garner an understanding of why one supports the Republican party to better understand other viewpoints. There are certain aspects of both parties that I believe in btw but many times people get too emotional AND positional so that rationale ideas are not shared/discussed when it comes time to elect our leaders and establish policy. So the question is simple, what is the biggest reason you support the Republican Party?

Last edited by johnathanc; 03-07-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
That's pretty much it. In a two party system you support the candidate or party that comes closest to your objectives. The two parties have lined up pretty well on each side of the major issues of our day and for me, the Republicans aren't ideal, but they're better than the Democrats.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Republicans leave a lot to be desired, but, the democrats are evil.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
I generally support the Republican party because I think it is the closest to what is best long term. I am personally economically conservative and socially liberal. Regarding social issues: gay marriage will eventually become legal in all states. That is an inevitability. Women will always have the right to get abortions. Roe v Wade is the most cited case in the history of US case law. It will never be overturned. I am 100% for equality in all social issues, but those issues are grassroots enough that they will legally come to pass regardless of the politics. Once gay marriage (to pick one issue as an example) becomes legalized in a quarter or so of states, then it will be politically disastrous for the republican party to NOT support it, and they will change positions at that time.

Now on to economics: It is a very disastrous policy to continue spending exorbitant money on social welfare programs, continue tax increases, and continue incentivizing people to work less. When unemployment benefits were extended to 99 weeks in 2009, the labor turnover ratio imploded as a result. Social Security has NEVER outperformed an index of the russell 1000 in any 30 year period of its history. Economically, social welfare spending is killing our country. The only economic issue on which I do not agree with republicans is military spending, but that is one concession I have to make.

Why do I support the republican party? In voting for a national leader, social issues simply don't matter. They will come to pass regardless of what a president, congress, or house wants, republicans simply mean they will take somewhat longer to come to pass, but I am OK with that if it means we can fix ourselves economically. This also obviously means that I support many democratic candidates at local and state levels, as those are the levels where social issues can have a bigger impact.

I support the republican party because at a national level when I divorce knee jerk emotions from the logic of what is best for this country, it is really the only choice.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
For me it is to support limited government.

I am a libertarian and don't particularly like either party overall, but given the choices, Republicans are the clear winner.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM

Moderator - I meant to do a poll with this thread. I created another one, can you close this one. Thanks

Old 03-07-2013, 03:21 PM

26,463 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Republicans leave a lot to be desired, but, the democrats are evil.
Isn't that a bit ridiculous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies