Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Seems like which side Americans support in that conflict, if they care at all, depends on their politics. They decide the right side first, then go poking through history for a reason why that side is right. And since the region has seen so much turmoil you can find a reason to justify supporting pretty much anything there. including giving the whole thing to Iraq (Babylon) or Italy (Rome).
Pretty much. I mean, don't get me wrong, i believe that Israel has the right to squat there for as long as they can hold it. That's how the cookie crumbles. But they have no historical right to a single inch of it anymore than any other group that passed through Palestine, and there have been many, many groups.

God didn't promise anything to anyone. (since there is no God anyway)

Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Pretty much. I mean, don't get me wrong, i believe that Israel has the right to squat there for as long as they can hold it. That's how the cookie crumbles. But they have no historical right to a single inch of it anymore than any other group that passed through Palestine, and there have been many, many groups.

God didn't promise anything to anyone. (since there is no God anyway)
Jews is a big umbrella group that has several different ethncities. Some Jews are truly from Palestine and deserve to remain in their land. But the vast majority come from Eastern Europe and probably never "passed through" it historically anymore than you or I.

Like I said, people evolve to the land. Look at the skin of the many European Jews who sear in the sun. They're not natives.

In the end, the land will belong to anyone who can hold it, but I cannot support Israel out of moral reasons.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 PM

733 posts, read 939,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
They all did. Look it up
And theyre still just a bunch of drunks that like to fight.

Aye... native pride aye coushen.

Rand Paul 2016
No that's not true, you look it up, in fact you made the claim that they did first let's see you back it up

I'm not a drunk, nor am I that fond of fighting

Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
The problem with Israel is that they keep taking over land with their encroaching settlements and displacing the Palestinians that already live there. This is land that the international community clearly agrees is not the Israeli's land. And Israel creates all kinds of ethnic segregation laws, like a street in Hebron where only Israelis are allowed to walk, and Palestinians must use a dirt path to the side.

WATCH: A ‘Jews only’ street and a Palestinian dirt path in Hebron | +972 Magazine

Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times
Native Americans have a peculiar status because our Founders didn't want to merge their culture with Native Americans and usually expelled Native Americans from lands they wanted to settle and develop.
The United States practiced what was called Aparthied in the 20th Century and Ethnic Cleansing and genocide as well. A small reminant in both people and small maginal lands are all that was left of a culture and a race which once numbered in the 10s of millions in the lands now called the United States. Now in Canada the killing and ethnic cleansing was not as severe and much of Canada was not settled and developed in the way the US was . The entire Canadian population is about the same as California. Recently the Canadians turned over about 40 % of Canadian territory to Native Americans called the "First Nations". Territory now belonging to the First Nations includes large regions in Quebec, Ontario, The NorthWest Territories and the Canadian Arctic. Canadian maps now designate all these lands as the First Nations.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Native Americans have a peculiar status because our Founders didn't want to merge their culture with Native Americans and usually expelled Native Americans from lands they wanted to settle and develop.
The United States practiced what was called Aparthied in the 20th Century and Ethnic Cleansing and genocide as well. A small reminant in both people and small maginal lands are all that was left of a culture and a race which once numbered in the 10s of millions in the lands now called the United States. Now in Canada the killing and ethnic cleansing was not as severe and much of Canada was not settled and developed in the way the US was . The entire Canadian population is about the same as California. Recently the Canadians turned over about 40 % of Canadian territory to Native Americans called the "First Nations". Territory now belonging to the First Nations includes large regions in Quebec, Ontario, The NorthWest Territories and the Canadian Arctic. Canadian maps now designate all these lands as the First Nations.
40 %? Do you have a link to that?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Jews is a big umbrella group that has several different ethncities. Some Jews are truly from Palestine and deserve to remain in their land. But the vast majority come from Eastern Europe and probably never "passed through" it historically anymore than you or I.
Sure they did. Discrete communities of Jews didn't sprout up in multiple places by themselves. They all started as Hebrews originally. Yes you do have white, black, and "brown" Jews but they all have common elements to their religion, language, and culture that are different from the surrounding people. They all had to have come from some common pool at some point and spread out from there.

And I would guess the Arabs and the Jews who are now such bitter enemies were actually one people once as well.

Quote:
In the end, the land will belong to anyone who can hold it, but I cannot support Israel out of moral reasons.
I fully support Israel at this point. If we were having a conversation in 1947 about establishing Israel in the first place I would have said absolutely not. I think it was a bad idea to establish it. But now it's there and we have to deal with realities. There's a government, economy, culture, communities, entire generations of people who have been born and raised as Israelis. It's too late now to go "oops, it was a mistake to do this" We can't undo the mess now. Got to find some way to move forward.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
No that's not true, you look it up, in fact you made the claim that they did first let's see you back it up

I'm not a drunk, nor am I that fond of fighting
I said MOST land, not all.

Go live on a reservation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpgC4...e_gdata_player

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_alcoholism

http://www.treatmentsolutions.com/alcoholism-among-native-americans/

Rand Paul 2016

Last edited by Jean71; 03-08-2013 at 01:30 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 01:48 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
I seriously need proof of that, particularly for the bold. I think you're getting Hebrew and Jew confused too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Sure they did. Discrete communities of Jews didn't sprout up in multiple places by themselves. They all started as Hebrews originally. Yes you do have white, black, and "brown" Jews but they all have common elements to their religion, language, and culture that are different from the surrounding people. They all had to have come from some common pool at some point and spread out from there.

And I would guess the Arabs and the Jews who are now such bitter enemies were actually one people once as well.
The Biblical Hebrews became the Jews.

If one believes in the Old Testament, then the Jews and Arabs both came from Abraham: the Hebrews/Jews came from Isaac and the Arabs from Yishmael.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:03 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
They all did. Look it up
And theyre still just a bunch of drunks that like to fight.

Aye... native pride aye coushen.

Rand Paul 2016

Are you a poster child for the republican party because it seems to be typical to take a brush and paint an entire group of people as being the same. Do you really think exposing yourself to such thinking helps your party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies