Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,577,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
See the answer by kidkaos2 in post #4...I have encountered plenty of "trojan horse" Republicans/libertarians like kidkaos2 in the West and the South. In more sophisticated circles such republicans usually pass themselves off as "libertarians".
Like he said,

Its CLOSEST to his beliefs. No different to a Republican supporting the tp really. It's about compromise. Something our current politicians know nothing about apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Like he said,

Its CLOSEST to his beliefs. No different to a Republican supporting the tp really. It's about compromise. Something our current politicians know nothing about apparently.
Which is what I said...libertarians are damn close to Republicans. Close enough to be labeled as mini-GOP or a Trojan Horse Republican. A radical right wing agenda wrapped in a palatable veneer ..scratch the surface a bit and the ugly mug of Shrek appears.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Yet you are throwing your support for a Republican, Rand Paul.
Ron Paul is trying to restore the Republican party to it's roots, and what it used to stand for.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Just as I do not "support" either of the "major" parties, I do not support the Libertarians.
well then, why bother responding to this thread?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Ron Paul is trying to restore the Republican party to it's roots, and what it used to stand for.
I'm not 100% sure but I seem to remember that the Republicans emerged from the federalists (federal government over state rights). See the civil war.

Sometime in the 1960s, the two switched bases and I'm not sure why. I will have to look it up.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Which is what I said...libertarians are damn close to Republicans. Close enough to be labeled as mini-GOP or a Trojan Horse Republican. A radical right wing agenda wrapped in a palatable veneer ..scratch the surface a bit and the ugly mug of Shrek appears.
Not true.
Libertarians just share more beliefs with the GOP than Democrats.

The biggest thing Libertarians believe in is personal freedom and small govt..
The exact opposite of Dems.

The Blue dog dems share some stuff with Libertarians but they don't associate themselves with us.

A Blue dog dem, TP Reps. and Libertarian congress would probably be the best congress we've ever had.

Rand Paul 2016

Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post

A Blue dog dem, TP Reps. and Libertarian congress would probably be the best congress we've ever had.

Rand Paul 2016
Sounds like a freakin' Tea Party nightmare....less party, more nightmare, reverting the country back to the 18th century.

Good thing we have enough progressives to stop the march of the American Taliban in this nation

Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I seem to remember that the Republicans emerged from the federalists (federal government over state rights). See the civil war.

Sometime in the 1960s, the two switched bases and I'm not sure why. I will have to look it up.
how's this?
Although what this says they stand for today is not true by their actions. They have been as much about growing gov't power as the democrats.

The Grand Old Party
The Republican Party was formed in 1854, when a man named Alvan E. Bovay brought together antislavery leaders. These leaders opposed the Kansas-Nebraska Act, which would permit slavery in these new territories if the people voted for it.
The party's candidate lost in 1856. The Republicans realized they needed more than one issue to win. In 1860, they still opposed slavery in the territories, but also called for a transcontinental railroad and free land to settlers. The candidate that year, Abraham Lincoln, won.
What do Republicans stand for today? In general, Republicans tend to take a more conservative stand on issues. They believe that the federal government should not play a big role in people's lives. Most Republicans favor lower taxes and less government spending on social programs. They believe in less government intervention in business and the economy.

The Party of the People
The Democratic Party is the oldest existing political party in the U.S. Some scholars say that it began when Jefferson founded the Democratic-Republicans in 1792. Jefferson opposed a strong central government.
The party later split. Some scholars say that the Democrat Party grew from a branch headed by Andrew Jackson. Jackson, elected President in 1828, believed in a strict interpretation of the Constitution and a limitation of the government's powers.
Today's Democratic Party takes a different stand. Democrats are sometimes referred to as "the Party of the People," attracting immigrants, blue-collar workers, women, and minorities. Democrats tend to take a more liberal stand on important issues. They believe that the federal government should take a more active role in people's lives, particularly those who are in need.
One example is Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency (1933–1945). To pull the U.S. out of an economic depression, Roosevelt started a slew of government programs to create jobs.
What Do Parties Stand For? | Scholastic.com

Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Most people here probably didn't even know this.

Exactly why some of us say they are as bad as each other. They ARE each other.
Even if you didn't know it, the last 40 years and the decline of this nation, should be all the proof you've need if you pay attention to politics.

Rand Paul 2016

Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Here you go:

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies