U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 AM

509 posts, read 482,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would like to return to the days when having a child as a teen was shameful.
Plenty of countries still believe this. Are they better off for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 01:53 PM

12,865 posts, read 15,318,772 times
Quote:
Most of the people (that I know) who are in the same age category as my parents (70's and 80's)had their babies starting in the teens...it wasn't shameful, until the young men started skipping on their responsibilities...then it became shameful.

Last edited by purehuman; 03-10-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 02:00 PM

12,865 posts, read 15,318,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't know. Making teen pregnancy uncool might have an effect. It can't hurt.
You're right, it can't hurt, but definitely the money could be spent on better things such as birth control, and parenting classes. Teenagers being told they can't handle something ,just because they are teens, seems to make some more determined than ever to do that exact thing...maybe (in their minds) to prove us wrong.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:20 PM

862 posts, read 1,209,429 times
Quote:
Agreed and I would also like to return to the days when having a child out of wedlock was shameful.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM

11,984 posts, read 9,788,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
You're right, it can't hurt, but definitely the money could be spent on better things such as birth control, and parenting classes.
How would you get people into parenting classes, I wonder? To hear many on this board, to learn something new is to admit from the start that you are wrong, bad, evil and all kinds of terrible things. Learn thoughts that someone might have had that you had previously never considered???? Heresy!

Old 03-10-2013, 02:45 PM

509 posts, read 482,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
I thought I should add this: stating that teen pregnancy is not ideal and disapproving of it is NOT the same as shaming pregnant teen girls. It's entirely possible to believe it's not right for teens to have sex and still not shame and degrade them for it.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:08 PM

11,984 posts, read 9,788,345 times
Quote:
I thought I should add this: stating that teen pregnancy is not ideal and disapproving of it is NOT the same as shaming pregnant teen girls. It's entirely possible to believe it's not right for teens to have sex and still not shame and degrade them for it.

While I agree with you, I would take it a step further. Rather than discuss that it it not right, by which I think you mean morally wrong, it might be more effective to discuss the many and obvious benefits in terms of financial (and emotional though that would be less compelling for the teen since they probably have no idea what hormonal messes they are at that age) that they would gain by waiting, how many difficult challenges that they will face. I particularly liked the ad that said something like, honestly face it, he is not going to stay with you.

On the topic of teen pregnancy, does anyone know how effective those educational baby ... computers are? I don't remember what they are called.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:16 PM

9,101 posts, read 9,192,287 times
I also think we could reduce teen pregnancy if we had better ways of making the girl's family (not against trying to do the same thing with the boy's family) responsible for the economic costs of the pregnancy and taking care of the baby. If parents of teen mothers couldn't just send their kids off to the state to get Medicaid and TANF, they might take a more pro-active attitude towards seeing that pregnancies didn't occur.

We could kill two birds with one stone. First, we could curtail some of the pregnancies and second we could curtail the need of the taxpayers to pay quite as much as they do.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,402,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
On the whole, I like to help people. I'm supportive of the government providing assistance to the needy and the disabled. What many fail to grasp though is that there comes a point, when both government and individuals do more harm than good because actions and policies "enable" certain behavior.

I don't have a way of statistically quantifying what I've seen and that is what makes it frustrating. However, I believe the teen mother's school functions in a manner that encourages teen pregnancy. The girls are all brought together and inevitably they start sharing pictures and stories about babies and pregnancy. The girls offer support to one another and because they don't have to attend an ordinary school with other people not going through the same thing, pregnancy and childbirth as a teenager become more "normal" for them. Its just one of many reasons why the stigma of getting pregnant out-of-wedlock has disappeared in this country.

I've talked to staff at the school near where I live and they all seem to bend over backwards to cater to these girls' every need (if not every whim). The concern is that if anything even slightly negative is said or felt by a girl she may drop out of school. I was a shy, reserved kid in junior high and high school and I would have thrived on the attention these girls get for doing something that is not positive.

It may be true that these schools keep a small segment of teen mothers from dropping out of school. However, any good they do has to be weighed against the harm in legitimizing and destigmatizing behavior that has seriously harmful repercussions for society. Sometimes answers are not clear cut. I do know before these schools became commonplace that the teen pregnancy rate was less than it is now.

My suggestion is we try slowly phasing out these schools and see where we get. I see it as worth a try.
Here where I live, the pregnant girls keep attending the same high school (or middle school), and the schools go so far to allow baby showers thrown for them. They have the Head Start center on the same high school campus as well as a day care. The teen parents are picked up on a different bus and they have their infants in car seats and are dropped off at the school's day care to drop their babies off and then they head over to the building of the high school.

Every awards ceremony gives them some kind of award, often in a course that resembles the old home-ec class. The top student in science, the top student in math, and the top teen mother are all recognized equally.

It doesn't seem to be discouraging them at all.

Teachers say the non-pregnant girls see the pregnant girls coming to class and it makes it seem very normal. Then the proud mommy comes to class to show off her baby like it was show-and-tell day and the girls all coo over the baby and of course want one of their own. Babies are soooooo cute, they're contagious.

The new mommies are so proud and they all promise they'll be the best mommies ever but the problems come later when they've got tantrum throwing two year olds that won't potty train and all the mommy wants to do is have a boyfriend and go out and have fun.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM

11,635 posts, read 20,351,827 times
Quote:
I don't know but I know that having babies born to teen mothers is bad for the baby and bad for the mothers (in general).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies