U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM

17,752 posts, read 15,595,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
If a company makes profit, the profit belongs to those that own the company. Everything else is an expense to be paid in pursuit of more profit.

Why do people complain about record profits and not enough jobs. Jobs are part of the expenses and expenses should be kept as low as possible. If the jobs are outsourced to another country, so be it. Why should the owners of wealth be loyal to anything other than wealth? They should be free to do what they want as long as they do not destroy the property of others.
Context helps. Are they selling their own little girls or someone else's? And if you think that is an unfair way to put it, I would tell you those are the only sorts of profits most people have a problem with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, ROAR!" (set 26 days ago)

12,307 posts, read 7,456,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
And thus I have become highly suspicious of the motivations of "Big" anything, as I personally believe that Big-business, -government, -media, -pharma, -military, -ag, -finance, and etc are all one vast incestuous tangle of shysters bilking the populace for profit regardless of the cost to humanity and the well being of the earth. They are accountable ultimately to no one.
True! And we created it largely through dumping most of our insecurities and foilbles into the laps of Big (unionized) "Education", Big Retail, Big Babysitter, and Big Brother/Sister, with a lot of encouragement from Big Media.

As the late Walt Kelly said too many years ago. "We have met the enemy, and he is us." And summoning up the tools and the courage to drop out and walk away can be both very chancy, and possibly very costly.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,675,284 times
Because they can compete is my guess and don't benfit fro it. Certainyl we se China changing its mind on what best benefits society overall.Even blue collar works make decisons on profit motive for their work and alwqays have.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM

11,628 posts, read 7,199,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If an entrepreneur becomes successful and makes $250. At this level these are not the big bad corporations but Obama came after these small business owners and you applauded it. This is a level that even everyday Americans can achieve. Do you consider that big corrupt business?
You have given me a confusion...who applauded what, when?

Methinks you've mistaken me for an Obama supporter, sir...and I have found little to applaud in a Replublican or a Democrat in my lifetime.

Honestly I don't even know what you're talking about...my gripe is with all of the biggest players on the field and ESPECIALLY those who shun transparency and write their own rulebooks, and it includes government and business equally, as I believe that often the same corrupt individuals are at the top ranks of both categories simultaneously. Politicians don't make their fortunes in politics necessarily...but in their business interests...and then they use their positions to advance those interests exponentially. And there are legal systems that not only allow but encourage elaborate cons that reward people who essentially have no real value to society.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,273,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
If a company makes profit, the profit belongs to those that own the company. Everything else is an expense to be paid in pursuit of more profit.

Why do people complain about record profits and not enough jobs. Jobs are part of the expenses and expenses should be kept as low as possible. If the jobs are outsourced to another country, so be it. Why should the owners of wealth be loyal to anything other than wealth? They should be free to do what they want as long as they do not destroy the property of others.
The large employees threaten job cuts if there's a poor "business climate" (= taxes and regulation). But during the great recession, they learned to make more money by cutting the number of American employees, cutting benefits, and increasing employee productivity. Along with these factors and the excellent "business climate", big business is making money hand over fist.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing for a company to run lean. Heck, I don't even complain about their profits. But don't whine about the high unemployment rate and then be a defender of big corporation's record profits.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM

5,010 posts, read 4,699,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
If you make those profits by buddying up with the government to put you at the head of the line above everyone else, then you don't deserve it.

There is one such glaring example of the Billionaires at 740 Park Avenue in New York City.
Bush and Romney both paid a visit to some of these billionaires personally for campaign donations.
In return, legislation is written to benefit them. That is not free market capitalism at work.

I notice many on this board spout about Capitalism and Free Markets, but yet then turn around and support the buying of politicians to rig the game in their favor.
It is all lies and propaganda. They don't really support it.
Romney was able to enact federal legislation that helped people in NY even though he lost the election? Wow, we definitely should have elected him.

Poor Obama must be sad that he only gets donations from poor people like Soros, Buffet, Immelt, etc.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,968,053 times
Tax avoidance, Cayman Islands.

Cayman Islands to name previously hidden companies - Telegraph

Quote:
The British overseas territory, which has been criticised as being one of the most secretive finance jurisdictions in the world, is introducing reforms that will make public the names of thousands of previously hidden companies and their directors, reports the Financial Times,
Study Estimates $21Trillion Stashed in Tax Havens

Quote:
A new study estimates that at least $21 trillion and up to $32 trillion of unreported private financial wealth has been hidden by wealthy individuals in secret tax havens at the end of 2010, a sum equivalent to the size of the U.S. and Japanese economies combined.

Barack Obama’s nominee for Treasury Secretary, Jack Lew, has money hidden in the Cayman Islands | America's Watchtower

Quote:
As recently as 2010, Jack Lew, President Obama‘s nominee to be the next secretary of the Treasury, had $56,000 invested in a CitiGroup venture capital fund based in the Cayman Islands’ notorious Ugland House, a building whose mailboxes are home to nearly 19,000 corporate entities, many of them tax shelters.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 PM

9,665 posts, read 8,625,305 times
What is wrong with avoidance, if the IRS does not audit them?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 PM

6,246 posts, read 2,666,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Romney was able to enact federal legislation that helped people in NY even though he lost the election? Wow, we definitely should have elected him.

Poor Obama must be sad that he only gets donations from poor people like Soros, Buffet, Immelt, etc.
I said Bush and Romney not as a stab in partisanship, but only because those are the ones that visited these people. Obama is no saint, nor are the banksters that put him in power via their media propaganda.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 PM

1,127 posts, read 771,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I said Bush and Romney not as a stab in partisan ship, but only because those are the ones that visited these people. Obama is no saint, nor are the banksters that donated to him.
I think every guy that runs for President gets paid by the bankers. It's a given. In fact, I think they also donated to Romney. When you bet on black and red, you can't lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or