U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM

19,929 posts, read 14,245,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
According to CNSNews, the number of Americans designated as "not in the labor force" in February was 89,304,000, a record high, up from 89,008,000 in January, according to the Department of Labor. This means that the number of Americans not in the labor force increased 296,000 between January and February. The fact is that the labor participation rate in our country remains at a record low 63.5%. Just to put that into perspective, when Barack Obama took office, the labor participation rate was 65.7%.
Uh, it's actually 63.2%. You'd have to go back to 1983 to get that low.

You have to be careful when looking at that data. For example, in December 2012, there were 53,597,000 Americans receiving either Social Security Retirement or Social Security Disability.

In January 2013, that number increased to 53,723,000. That's an increase of 126,000. If the rate of retirement remains consistent (as does the award of SSDI), then you would expect similar numbers for February (which won't be published for a few more weeks).

What that says is effectively 40% retire and 60% are no longer in the work-force for a reason other than retirement or disability.

And all of that has to be tempered against your population growth -- 165,000 for February and your labor force -- which decreased by 67,000 people for February.

I haven't had time to fully examine the numbers yet, but a shrinking labor force is good only to the extent that it "magically" makes it appear as though there are no employment issues.

Laboriously...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM

20,357 posts, read 13,885,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Tell that to the 300k that quit looking for work. My issue with you moonbats is that you act as if Obama saved us when that is far from the truth. He has deepened the problem and proped it up with fake money.

When the pumping stops the axe drops. Period
It's like the analogy where we have 300 jelly beans in a jar, if I eat 200 beans and only replace them with 175, I can fool people and boast that I have added 175 beans, when the total number has actually been reduced and we have a net loss of 25. That's what the liberal news media and 0bama does, when they brag about creating 3 million jobs, even though we have a net loss.

Another analogy is pouring sand in bottom of the jar, and then refilling it with beans. I can fool people by showing them what looks like a full jar of beans, when the jar actually hold 25 fewer beans. That's how the media and government fools people with the 7.7% U3 unemployment figure, while we actually have fewer people in the labor force.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM

6,334 posts, read 4,430,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
For those doing a drive by viewing of the false unemployment numbers and jobs figures as devised by the current regime, some further investigation reveals some startling truths. Please do not take the time to bash the source, if you are going to respond, please provide some facts to dispute what you read.

Jobs Numbers: The Truth - Articles - The Sean Hannity Show

- According to CNSNews, the number of Americans designated as "not in the labor force" in February was 89,304,000, a record high, up from 89,008,000 in January, according to the Department of Labor. This means that the number of Americans not in the labor force increased 296,000 between January and February. The fact is that the labor participation rate in our country remains at a record low 63.5%. Just to put that into perspective, when Barack Obama took office, the labor participation rate was 65.7%.
I stopped reading at the bold part. This is coming from someone who didn't vote for Obama.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:58 PM

13,738 posts, read 9,852,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh yea, I am happy with the news, and the stock market... I am getting richer. Are you?
If your riches are denominated in "dollar bills" that are devaluing as the clock ticks, I don't think "richer" is applicable.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:26 PM

3,384 posts, read 4,092,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I stopped reading at the bold part. This is coming from someone who didn't vote for Obama.
Ignorance is bliss. Again, you attacked the source, not the numbers.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,681,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Tell that to the 300k that quit looking for work. My issue with you moonbats is that you act as if Obama saved us when that is far from the truth. He has deepened the problem and proped it up with fake money.

When the pumping stops the axe drops. Period
Check the job creation numbers from early 2009, AKA: the final bitter remnants of the worst presidency in our nation's history. Come back and tell us with a straight face that Obama has deepened the problem.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:27 PM

66,547 posts, read 33,820,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
There's no way to negatively spin a jobs report that adds 236,000 jobs. Just be happy more people are working.

This is what I don't get.
Weekly unemployment numbers, have been averaging in the 350,000 - 390,000 range. That is weekly

4 x 350,000 = 1 million 400 thousand lost their jobs in a month.

Then you have a report like just came out that says in Feb. 250,000 jobs were added.

My math doesn't add up to their math, unless there are a lot of people that have exhausted their unemployment benefits and have dropped off the count entirely.

7.7% is the number of people collecting unemployment benefits, not the correct value of those that are unemployed.

There is no way they are going to let the gate keepers let out the real numbers so we can compare to the great depression and how it was calculated then.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:01 PM

753 posts, read 460,874 times
Is ANYTHING ever going to count for you guys? Is anything ever going to be enough? Is anything ever going to be worth being happy over?

BTW, stop with this **** about "NOT REAL UNEMPLOYMENT HOW COULD THEY LIE ABOUT IT" bull****. The U3 is THE official employment rate as has been prior to Obama coming into office. Stop pretending everything is so unprecedented and outrageous. There's absolutely, positively nothing new about measuring using the U3 rate...

Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,597,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Is ANYTHING ever going to count for you guys? Is anything ever going to be enough? Is anything ever going to be worth being happy over?

BTW, stop with this **** about "NOT REAL UNEMPLOYMENT HOW COULD THEY LIE ABOUT IT" bull****. The U3 is THE official employment rate as has been prior to Obama coming into office. Stop pretending everything is so unprecedented and outrageous. There's absolutely, positively nothing new about measuring using the U3 rate...
Limbaugh was preaching his crazy right wing rhetoric on March 5th again about all government numbers being fake. But don't worry Republicans rooting for America to fail will see reduced job numbers in next few months as sequester spending cuts take affect..nothing makes them more happy than waterboarding America just to make one man lose his job.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:11 PM

7,371 posts, read 4,640,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
There's no way to negatively spin a jobs report that adds 236,000 jobs. Just be happy more people are working.
77,000 FEWER full-time workers this month; 102,000 MORE part-time workers.

The decrease in the unemployment rate was spurred mostly by 170,000 people becoming employed and by about 350,000 young people age 16-24 leaving the labor market and entering or re-entering school.

Manufacturing jobs increased by 14,000; private service-producing jobs increase by 179,000.

Unemployment increased to 3.8% for people 25 and over with Bachelor's degrees or higher. The unemployment rate for young people under 25 with Bachelor's degrees or higher and NOT currently in school increased to 9.2%

the unemployment rates for people without a high school degree and for high school graduates with no college decreased, from 12.0% to 11.2% and from 8.1% to 7.9% respectively.

So, the unemployment rate is caused more by people dropping out of the labor force to go to school than actually getting jobs and the jobs they are getting are part-time service industry jobs for people with no education while we've actually lost full times jobs for people with education. But hey, there's no way to negatively spin it. Let's just be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies