Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:52 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Quit looking for work.Most I know their Unemployment ran out so they are no longer counted.My Son just called the other day saying he is getting a 50% Cut in pay.

My wife was looking for work and was told at her age she might as well retire because of her age she was Unemployable.This POed me considering her Education and her willingness to work and being told this BS.Oh she did Retire.

Yea all is good.Right!

brushrunner
Instead of getting POed, complain about longstanding government policies that do not hinder outsourcing. Complain about Republicans in Congress who campaigned on "Jobs, Jobs, Jobs," then refused to pass Obama's jobs bill that would have added 1,000,000 jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Quit looking for work.Most I know their Unemployment ran out so they are no longer counted.My Son just called the other day saying he is getting a 50% Cut in pay.

My wife was looking for work and was told at her age she might as well retire because of her age she was Unemployable.This POed me considering her Education and her willingness to work and being told this BS.Oh she did Retire.

Yea all is good.Right!

brushrunner
How old is she? After 50 - it IS hard to find employment in most corporations, especially for women. I don't kid myself about that and it's why I still have the job I have and haven't gone looking for greener pastures. Usually that's something I do about every 5 years!

That isn't something that just developed under Obama's administration, though.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If your riches are denominated in "dollar bills" that are devaluing as the clock ticks, I don't think "richer" is applicable.
You really aren't very bright, are you? When the dollar devalues we call it inflation and right now core inflation is about 1% per year so, no, your dollars aren't devaluing very fast, genius.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
There are some in both parties that are trying to justify a very huge amnesty, of a size never seen or imagined before. They have to make it look like there is a shortage of workers.

It would be harder to justify this big reward for all those who come here illegally if Americans felt that there weren't enough jobs. Obama is even promising the illegals that once he gives them legal status and puts them on the quick path to citizenship, they can start bringing in all their long lost relatives -- at least a good portion of them will need jobs of some kind. With legal status, they can go after the good high paying jobs.

It's a little ironic that Obama keeps extending unemployment handouts but keeps encouraging corporations and businesses to hire illegals -- and will not prosecute these crimes.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
There's no way to negatively spin a jobs report that adds 236,000 jobs. Just be happy more people are working.
no way to spin it neg????

how about government says 236k added... WHILE stats show 290k less in the workforce

Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no way to spin it neg????

how about government says 236k added... WHILE stats show 290k less in the workforce
The 236 jobs added number could include the 290 left the work force number but then it would be a different measurement.

You appear to arguing that U3 number doesn't show the whole story. Fine, look it at the broader U6 measurement. It too shows an improving employment situation.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Uh, it's actually 63.2%. You'd have to go back to 1983 to get that low.

You have to be careful when looking at that data. For example, in December 2012, there were 53,597,000 Americans receiving either Social Security Retirement or Social Security Disability.

In January 2013, that number increased to 53,723,000. That's an increase of 126,000. If the rate of retirement remains consistent (as does the award of SSDI), then you would expect similar numbers for February (which won't be published for a few more weeks).

What that says is effectively 40% retire and 60% are no longer in the work-force for a reason other than retirement or disability.

And all of that has to be tempered against your population growth -- 165,000 for February and your labor force -- which decreased by 67,000 people for February.

I haven't had time to fully examine the numbers yet, but a shrinking labor force is good only to the extent that it "magically" makes it appear as though there are no employment issues.

Laboriously...

Mircea
Very interesting. So let me see if I understand this, I think I do.

So as of February 2013 the government admits that there are 89,304,000 "not in the labor force". And according to the stats Mircea gave, and knowing Mircea as a poster I'm sure they're accurate, there are 53,723,000 people on either Social Security or Social Security Disability as of January 2013.

Doing the math we would have:

89,304,000-53,723,000=35,581,000

So that leaves 35,581,000 million people not covered by employment, Social Security or Social Security Disability.

Now the government keeps giving the number on the news that 12 million Americans are without or in need of employment.

If we take the 35,581,000 not covered by employment, Social Security or SSDI and subtract that from the 12,000,000 the main stream press says are out of work and in need of employment that would give us 35,581,000-12,000,000=23,581,000.

According to my calculations that would mean over 20 million people are completely unaccounted for because this only includes working age people. Are there 20 million people in college or on welfare for life or are these people just ghosts?

Perhaps this could be an answer:
Making 9 million jobless 'vanish'
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article33590.html

Ghosts...

CK78

Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
There's no way to negatively spin a jobs report that adds 236,000 jobs. Just be happy more people are working.
At McDonald's... so, we can get them off welfare and free phones, free housing, free free free free.. Liberals have finally gotten to the point they are happy with any jobs.. Nice!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:16 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,577,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Tell that to the 300k that quit looking for work. My issue with you moonbats is that you act as if Obama saved us when that is far from the truth. He has deepened the problem and proped it up with fake money.

When the pumping stops the axe drops. Period
They just don't get it.

They hear stuff on the news without further looking into it. They have zero economic sense. To most of us, this stuff has become common sense because we have been paying careful attention for a while.

They just flip through the channels, watch some "reality" shows and catch some "news" as they're flicking through and then go "hey look, Obama fixed the economy".....smh

Rand Paul 2016

Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,577,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You really aren't very bright, are you? When the dollar devalues we call it inflation and right now core inflation is about 1% per year so, no, your dollars aren't devaluing very fast, genius.
Lol. Inflation is a lot higher than 1% genius.
Maybe 1% for this year so far...

Rand Paul 2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies